The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will the Internet kill mentalism? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2022, funsway wrote:
Validation for why I never provide a video of my published effects, nor allow any video of any performance.

You cannot find my work on YouTube, and hopefully never will. Yes, this restricts my presentations opportunities, but I never charge anyway.

Not a solution for every performer - just making it an option.

That's about the only solution if you're wanting to keep proprietary effects a secret. As you said, though, unless you're in a situation you really have control over the venue, it's hard to avoid. A lot of times I perform on stage I know I'm being recorded, so I have to stick to things the camera won't pick up. Some day if I ever have enough clout to rent out a theater that's the first rule I enforce.
EvojKam
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of EvojKam
It seems that the discussion here is sparking another thread debating whether to support online magic exposure or not.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......art=60#5
questort
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of questort
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2005, RickDangerous wrote:
Copycats and people who are not creative kill mentalism...

I agree, they are probably a bigger threat to the art than the internet every will be, as long as they aren't posting their performance on the internet. Smile
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
If I may step onto the soapbox for a moment.

There is something inherently childish about those who seek attention by "telling a secret." People who are grown adults getting their thrills and adulation by revealing methods just for the sake of showing off are fools. The value of a secret is in keeping the secret.

Rant off.
questort
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of questort
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2022, Djin wrote:
If I may step onto the soapbox for a moment.

There is something inherently childish about those who seek attention by "telling a secret." People who are grown adults getting their thrills and adulation by revealing methods just for the sake of showing off are fools. The value of a secret is in keeping the secret.

Rant off.

I think that it being great click-bait has something to do with it as well. I miss the way YouTube was before it got monetized.
rsheytanov
View Profile
New user
Dublin, IE
9 Posts

Profile of rsheytanov
In my personal opinion nothing will ever kill The Art of Magic and concretely Mentalism.

Mentalism has something that the "normal" magic normally lacks nowadays - the beautiful element of plausibility Smile

That's it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will the Internet kill mentalism? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL