The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Between a Rock and a Hard Place (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MyDovesLuvMe2
View Profile
New user
The Southeast
1 Post

Profile of MyDovesLuvMe2
Hello, I am a newbie to this forum, so be gentle with me if I am posting this in the wrong section, but here is the issue:

I am a professional Magician and also a Professional Actor. Currently there is a theatre production happening that I have been asked to Advise. The show revolves around a magician, and his assistant, when another assistant becomes involved and ends up dying on a sword suspension. Was it Murder, or a mistake, or even a suicide (Love suicide). Well, I have been asked to "magically advise" the production. My problem is that I don't feel very comfortable "teaching" secrets for the sake of non-magicians knowing how certain things are done for a show. What happens when the show is over? They now know certain illusions. I ran into a little problem with it because while talking to the cast about the history of magic, and some of the thought processes behind it, they began to blurt out every laymen questions "HOW DO YOU, blah, blah, blah". I silenced the questions with "Is that particular illusion in the show?", and of course the answer is "NO". They were getting a little anxious, and were kind of bothered because I was not about to reveal something to them that they didn't need to know. Basically, I am an actor myself, and its a passion of mine, but at the same time, I want to protect our art. I can't back out of teaching these certain illusions because I am under contract. I feel strange talking about some things, but at the same time, my rep is on the line because if the production flops in the magic area, my Name is on the display, and not only does that hurt my acting career, it hurts my magic career also.......What to do? Anyone?

Thanks!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It's theater!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
You could have them sign non-disclosure agreements. Wouldn't stop them from talking, but might impress them that you are serious about not going on Fox TV as the next masked magician.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Between a Rock and a Hard Place (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL