The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism - book advice please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I normally hang around the cards section but have become a little more interested in the art of mentalism recently follwing a couple of succesful book purchases: Psychological Subtleties and Prism.

I am told that Barrie Richardson's "Theatre of the Mind" and "Act Two" are considerd 'essential' purchases. Is it necessary to buy Theatre first? Would you say there is material in these books suitable for a 'beginner.'

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

RK
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
Any other suggestions?

Annemann's Practical Mental Effects (also published by Dover Press as Practical Mental Magic) and Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism are to mentalism what The Royal Road to Card Magic is to cards.

:carrot:
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Visit http://www.mastermindreader.com and ask for a password. Within, Bob Cassidy has simply the best overview of essential texts for the mentalist.
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Hi roger its nice to see you over here
just thought I'd say 'hi roger its nice to see you over here'
and I agree with the other 2 posts
hope your still finger flinging
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 11:32, Roger Kelly wrote:
I normally hang around the cards section but have become a little more interested in the art of mentalism recently follwing a couple of succesful book purchases: Psychological Subtleties and Prism.

I am told that Barrie Richardson's "Theatre of the Mind" and "Act Two" are considerd 'essential' purchases. Is it necessary to buy Theatre first? Would you say there is material in these books suitable for a 'beginner.'

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

RK

ANYTHING by Richard Osterlind http://www.osterlindmysteries.com

Best-
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Thanks so far folks. Any thoughts on the two Barrie Richardson books I mentioned? Which first (if at at) etc?

RK
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
If you like cards check out derren brown's Pure Effect, great material. Also, Mind, Myth, and Magick is a must have, and with over 800 some pages for $50 it's a steal.

The barrie richardson books are great. theater of the mind is mostly stage/stand-up material. buy both of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism - book advice please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL