The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Plans for Square Circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DemuMagic
View Profile
New user
Canada
18 Posts

Profile of DemuMagic
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on building a Square Circle Deception. I already know the effect, and have built a homemade one out of cardboard. But I would like to built one out of wood. I was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations for the thickness of wood, dimensions, and how to make it collapsable(the square anyway).
Your advice would be much appreciated,
Chris
We bring peoples wildest dreams to life
live magic
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Chris,

Thickness of the wood will largely depend on the size of the finished prop. Smaller boxes can suffice with 1/4" birch ply. A very large one would require 3/8" to 1/2". The dimensions will depend upon your own wants and needs, and what you intend to produce. Here is a page from Mel Babcock's site that will give you a couple of dimension possibilities.

Making one collapsable may be a trick in itself. You may be able to join the sides together with continuous hinges, so it would fold flat. In order to keep its shape when you want it to, build a base that has a lip surrounding the box. That will keep it square. care must be taken so as not to compromise the black art requirements. With sides joined as mentioned, you would need to insure that no light emitting gaps were visible along the joints.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7389 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is little advantage to collapsing the box. You still have the tube and it will help keep the tube from getting smashed and out of round.

Michael's suggestions are right on the money as far wood thickness and such. Don't think you can use just any old plywood. Regular plywood will warp like crazy.

I would cover the tube with Sign vinyl so the surface does not chip with paint. You could even get a sign cutting compnay to make you fancy decals to go on the tube and complimenting ones to go on the box.

If you make it fit your suitcase or table, measure so it fits snuggly. If you need to make it bigger, plan on making a lightweight case to carry it in loaded.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2886 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I agree with Michael and Richard -- there's no need to collapse the box, especially if the tube doesn't. Just make a carrying case for the thing and you're all set.

You may want to check Tarbell 6. There's a whole chapter on the SC. Also, somebody put out a booklet many many years ago titled "Nu Tricks with the Square Circle," which talks a bit about making it collapsible. This may be hard to find, but there are a few good ideas.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Another place to look is the Mark Wilson Course. He has a neat variation where the box is actually a screen that opens up.

Thanks,
Richard
DemuMagic
View Profile
New user
Canada
18 Posts

Profile of DemuMagic
Thanks for the replies guys. This has been a big help. I will probably head down to home depot in a couple days and buy the wood. Another question, would you guys reccommend using black paint for the inside square/gimmick, or using some sort of other black material.
Thanks,
Chris
live magic
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Flat black paint should work well, but some people use black velvet, felt or a black flocking spray.

Thanks,
Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7389 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I like black fabric as it doesn't get scratched up as much as paint or scratch the other painted surfaces. Eric Lewis wrote up "yellow art" using yellow instead of black in his trilogy books.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mark Wilson's square circle hat design is really a good idea. I have often considered making one myself.

Should mention, as an alternative to plywood, is foam core board. I made a giant square circle once by building a frame of 3/4" x 1" spruce and using the foam core for the sides. I used cloth tape to seal the corners, and then covered the exterior with cotton fabric applied with Elmer's Glue. Once it was dry, I coated the fabric with thinned glue to seal the whole thing (helps prevent frayed edges). It dried rock hard and lasted me for years. The interior was covered with black felt. For the tube and gimmick, I was lucky enough to find two metal bedroom trash cans that were by fluke, different sizes and they nested ideally. Cut away the bottoms and decorated them appropriately and I was in business.

A product I have had a great measure of success with is black velvet art paper. It works great to line boxes for black art, you can cut pieces to size very accurately (no stretching or wrinkling, as with fabric), and it applies very easily with spray adhesive. It holds its dead blackness, where flat black paint will not.

WalMart also sells a sticky-back felt in a few colors (black among them). It comes in 9"x12" pieces, and is appropriately called, "Presto Felt". If you don't require larger coverage, these are great to use.

Richard, I want to learn more about Yellow Art. Is this possible with other colors?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Black art is all about hiding shadows, black does that a lot more easily than other colors, but other colors can be used with careful lighting and/or masking.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I recently made a Square Circle and along with it I made plans. Drop me a line if you are interested and I will email you a copy!

Mike
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7389 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will have to dig out the book and reread it. I will try to get it done before Abbott's but if I don't remind me in a week or so.

I can't remember which of the Trilogy books it was in but it was towards the back. It might have been the first one.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
DemuMagic
View Profile
New user
Canada
18 Posts

Profile of DemuMagic
Thanks guys for the help, felt sounds good I have a wall mart close by
Chris
live magic
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Richard. I will be working SEAM next weekend, so we can rehash this after then, if it's more convenient for you.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7389 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I looked up the yellow art. It is in the second book, "Continuation of Miracles", page 236. Square tubes with normal cutouts. One is blue the other red. Organ Pipe type load that hides in a decorative scallop at the top.

According to Eric Lewis, Alan Wakeling told him there was a guy in Europe you did a whole black art act based on the yellow background.

It does make some interesting ideas.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Richard. It would certainly seem to nullify the obvious... that something could not be hiding in plain view in bright light.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Plans for Square Circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL