The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for Backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I`m looking into revamping the look of my show and one thing I want is a backdrop. I am looking for something that can work inside as well as outside. It also must be able to pack small, and preferably around 100 dollars.

Thanks,
Gideon

P.S. What do you guys think about the Amvona ones?
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
http://www.adorama.com/BMSSPS.html

this is what I use. It does not come with fabric. You will have to go here for that:

http://davidweikel.com/E20_Page/backgrou......ne.shtml

This stuff does not wrinkle and looks great! I think total for all was @150.00

PS not so good for out doors. I am not sure of any backdrop good for out doors. This one is great for inside because it is adjustable.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I can tell you how to make your own Great Backdrop for only $110...

I use a home made one all the time. It uses camping beds, and the best part about them is that they come with their own cases with wheels!

So for that price, you get your backdrops and cases with WHEELS!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
That Adorama one looks awesome. Kyle, how small does yours pack up and how big does it get.

Thanks again guys,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
It is two pieces, or if you are performing in a smaller area, you can just use one piece and have smaller backdrop that would not be as wide as the two put together.

It packs up into two cases that are 2 1/2 ft tall by 10 inches wide.

Both expanded make a backdrop approx 8 1/2 - 9 ft wide by approx 6 feet and 9 inches tall.

If you only use one, it is about 4 1/2 foot wide by 6 foot and 9 inches tall.

Very durable backdrop.
Kyle Jarrard

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I HIGHLY recommend that you buy Barry Mitchell's Magic Mooves Me School Show video. He shows you how to take an affordable Wal-Mart product and turn it into a lightweght, sturdy and very compact backdrop! I have three of them and I wouldn't use anything else.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
The one I use was made out of things I got at WalMart as well...hm-mm, skip way, I wonder if we are talking about the same type of backdrop?
Kyle Jarrard

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have made some from the camping beds as well. Now I use the one I showed you.
top ten reasons to use mine and not the camping bed.

1. Only three pieces and packs down into its own bag and that it 1/4 the size of the beds.
2. I can set this up faster then the beds
3. It is adjustable height and width
4. You can come through middle with only one set up.
5. It is more sturdy than the bed
6. It is 12 lbs the bed is like 35 lbs
7. Still can't sell the air mattress!!!!!
8. It is only 12 lbs and packs smaller
9. It is only 12 lbs and packs smaller
10. It is only 12 lbs and packs smaller

What ever frame you use you still have to buy the fabric.
If you want the bed frames I have 4 for sale but then again they are so big the shipping would kill you.

Skip, I don't think Barry has a backdrop on magic that moves me. He shows this backdrop in his book and in the Inspector Iwannaknow program.
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I`m going to buy the frame, thanks.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Flourish Dude...You are absolutely right...thank you for calling this to my attention! The "WalMart" backdrop is in the Inspector Iwannano Video package. I've balked at buying the tripod backdrops for a number of reasons...but the more I look at this one you have...dang it! I gotta order and try one!

However...you're absolutely wrong about the weight of the camp bed...it's not at all 35 pounds! Geesh. 33...34...Tops! But not 35!

Thanks for the correction...although I STILL recommend Barry's Magic Mooves Me School Show Video!

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
It is a good video! Skip I think you will be happy with the one I use. I have tried a few different backdrops and this is the best I have used. It s just so flexible. I did a show once where I had one side on the floor and the other on the riser. You could not do this with any other backdrop, not even the Spyder.
www.magicalmemories.us
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
PVC pipes and connector joins are real cheap. Minus the fabric you use you can make a frame for less than forty dollars.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I used a PVD backdrop for my festival shows because it was sturdy and fairly resistant to the wind...but it is such a PAIN to transport. It now serves admirably as a stand for the marionettes in my workshop. :o)

Skip

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Try Klamm magic. They have sets and backdrops.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
The one at Klamm is 249.00. The one I am talking about is 98.00. Both will have shipping. I did not see if the Klamm came with the fabric or not. Even if it did my set up is still cheaper. The Klamm one also has 4 interlocking pole for the cross barr. Mine is telescoping which makes it faster.

A PCV stand might be cheaper but seems like a hassle to piece it together. My stand is three parts. The two adjustable side tripods and the telescoping cross bar. All which pack down into a bag that is 44" long and @ 6" round.
www.magicalmemories.us
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Well, I now know the frame I will get, but as for the backdrop. I told my father about the backdrop idea, and he suggested having a back drop with my logo on it or contact information. Anyone else do this? Is it expencive, and where could I get it done?

Thanks,
Gideon

www.gideonsylvan.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Love the spider backdrops. Very costly but well worth the investment. I have the large one and the small one.

Ken
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Ken,

You using a backdrop in your Birthday shows? The spiders are nice but you have to on a level floor, This is true for the most part but I have been in two places where one side was higher than the other. Also I did a a few library shows this summer where the spider would not of worked, The ceilings were too low. That is what I like about these they are so flexible I can set it up under almost any condition. I have worked with the spiders in the past and I can set mine up at the same rate, if not faster that a spider and mine takes up less room.
www.magicalmemories.us
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
HUM? Never had a problem with mine. I guess the rooms that I hve worked have been level. All the ceilings were high enough.

Hey but if it works for you then COOL.

Ken
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 17:25, SwissKid 52 wrote:
Well, I now know the frame I will get, but as for the backdrop. I told my father about the backdrop idea, and he suggested having a back drop with my logo on it or contact information. Anyone else do this? Is it expencive, and where could I get it done?

Thanks,
Gideon

Gideon,

Check at Tim Sonefelt's site:

http://www.wonderimagery.com/

He does an awesome job of custom designed backdrops. (Do they still say "Awesome"? I keep hearing my Dad saying "Groovy"...and I shudder!)

Skip

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for Backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL