The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Case to you use, What's in your Case, and Your Style of "Street Magic"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I have a great case. It's the Ronjo's "Close-Up Case". It opens in a drawer fashion. I'll admit I cary like, 10 decks or so in it plus a few in my pockets. Yes I open the case and people see them, BUT in another post I've gone over that subject. I'd say 60%-70% of what I do is with a straight deck. I go for Impact and Effect, and just some tricks aren't possible with a "Straight Deck". I do "Street Magic", and ocassionally someone will notice the decks, and I say I don't like using the same deck wearing it out over and over again. I just in pen mark the white top border of the case each trick in abbr. It's simple. Also I respond by saying, each one is for different things. It's true, such as ESPcially Wild, or the Mind's Eye Deck, or my own mentalism peek deck with black rectangles drawn on them. To the spectator ir really doesn't draw suspicion, because let's face it you NEED ESP card to do a ESP trick. If you are doing a trick and NEED a blank deck, you'll need blank cards...ECT. As far as packet tricks, I use the wallets that they come in different colors usually with two sides with clear plastic. If you have ETMCM series you should have a couple of wallets.

Personally in my case Presently , I got a Straight Deck with a Red card for Red Hot Mamma which I usually open with. I also got (and I switch things around from time to time) In a Flash (One of my best items), Mental Photography (for kids mostly), The SUM Deck, Brainwave, a Deck for The Amibitious Card & Card to Mullica Wallet in which that wallet in in my Back Left Pocket, Detour De Force, Impossible Opener, Svengali, a Deck with Macdonald's Aces Cards set-up, a deck set up for Anniversay Waltz and the Mind's Eye Deck. In my Breat Posket, I got my Mentalism Peek Deck I made, plus a red/blue backer to use for Tattoo You, and Prediction impossible. I have a awesome zip-up sweater too which have HUGE pouch like inside pockets, and nice outside pockets. Last weekend, and this weekend too, in my pockets I had in my right inside pocket banded together "Double Barrel" , on my inside left hand inside pocket I have a Deck for the refills for the "Intercessor Trick", a yellow pay envelope, I have slips of paper in them to write the color for "Gemsation" (Read my review for that to see why I write it down), and I have the "Gemsation Trick in the pouch as well". On the Outside Right Pocket, I have the Deck with the "Intercessor Gimmick" in it. I also carry a back pack. In there is a Deck for replacements for Tatto You, and a Deck of D/F for Annicersary Waltz.

In my BackPack I also gave a wand, The Coloring Book (I do for Kids), Rope & Scissors, for Cut & Restored Rope (again I do mostly for kids). I got the Devil's Hank, for the Intercessor Trick. Sometimes I'll have a Book, and a Clear-View Change bag, for a book test I got. In my case, I have ESPcially Wild, Skinner's Monte, B'Wave and Limited Edition, in two plastic wallets. And YES I do stuff besides cards as mentioned above. I have Scotch and Soda, wich I just keep under my Close-Up mat on the table. I have "Lighting Bolt" a penetration trick, X-Ray Box, Thumb Cuffs with Hankerchief, Lethal Tender. Under this particular case under the drawer where you store your close-up mat, I have the Insurance Policy, and Bob Cassidy's Chronologue. I have also small notebooks, for Mentalism Effects, a normal pen, a sharpy, and a small pencil. That plus, the normal dozen or so tricks (I know more but I have at least a dozen "regulars") I do with a Straight Deck, I'm prepared. I have no set routine as people come and go, and I have regulars so I mix and match what I do according to who's watching me as I don't like repeating tricks if I don't have to. I DO however have a set patter for most of them. I always invest in new stuff so people can see new stuff such as DVD'S (I learn better from them than I do books though I DO have books too), and tricks themselves. Then I have NUMEROUS other decks, like Deja Vu Deck, Blzzard, Vanished & Gone...ECT...ECT. So in case someone wants to stand watching me a half an hour or longer (which has happened), there's no chance of running out of stuff. Heck, I've had people at "My Stand" a hour a few times. My theory is that I will perform for as long as they want me too, because then usually the tips are bigger....lol. There are times however if I get tired I'll say and for my last trick...ect. That's my style and how I carry my stuff doing "Street Magic".
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Believe it or not these days I am using a Lefler suitcase table. It holds all my props, sound system, and gives me a very stable work surface. I am only lugging one thing to the pitch now. It makes my life a lot easier and my area no longer looks like a yard sale. It kind of flies in the face of the norm but it has been working out great for me.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
What tricks are you doing Danny? Ed, (Eddini).
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Dan:

Are you using the Large or Small Lefler case? Also, can you tell me which PA system you're using? I am looking for a PA System that will fit in my small Lefler case.

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Ron,

I am using the large case with a Fender Amp Can for sound. It is a pretty good set up. The Amp Can has 30 watts driving it and is a tough little unit. I have a friend who uses the fender passport and loves it as well. It is also a small portable unit. The really great thing about both of these units is that they are small enough to cross over into your smaller House party shows like birthday's etc. and are powerful enough to work outside as well.

Most buskers swear by the crate Limo witch is an awesome amp that packs a 50 watt punch. great systems but not nearly as portable as the amp can or the passport. The pass port can also come with a built in VHF wireless.

The amp can will also fit in the bottom of the smaller Lefler table I am told.

Best,

Dan-

Hi Ed,

I am doing a bunch of stuff a lot of it is standard. Silk vanish with a TT, cards, Rope, cups, Strait Jacket, etc..

I am actually working on a couple of different shows at the moment.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I've never used a sound system. I work very small groups of people sometimes just one person, rarely I'll get up to 50 people crowded. Does those sound systems use batteries or do you need a to find a outlet somewhere? Ed, (Eddini).
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Ed,

Batteries.

Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
I have a standard issue, shoulder brief case. Like a taptop case, only cheaper and more durable.

In my case I carry:

-water bottles (2-3),
-towel (1)
-linking rings (6)
-in a flash deck (1)
-Double blank deck (1)
-packet of bee cards for card manip (3)
-lighters (2-8)
-flash paper (1-dispenser loaded with 50 2"x1" pieces)
-breath mints (The dissolve on your tongue plastic-sheet type)
-sharpies (2-3)
-Lighter fluid (1-bottle, 3 small viles)
-seed money ($5 bill)
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have a suitcase table of my own construction (that I have been way too many times to reproduce for others, but frankly with all the work I put into it, I couldn't charge enough to actually pay for my time...)

Anyway, I have previously posted the look of the table folded and set up, so I will avoid that here.

Contained in the case is color changing knives, a dozen decks of cards, three trick decks Svengali, stripper, and ID. A set of Ninja Rings, my 3 10" RNT rings, chain for endless chain routine, a very large Hot rod, a magic wand, razor blades from mouth, Professors nightmare, color ropes, and a couple of other items.

I also carry a knapsack that contains two loop balls that look like small baseballs(I lost one once, and now carry a spare), a "Chinese egg bag" mat and a very small baseball bat, and a small baseball glove, a regulation baseball, and a gimmick Sports Illustrated magazine cover for my "Sports Really Illustrated" effect, a coloring book, Jumbo Twisted Sisters, COINS, wax, and a few more card decks. Ropes, Stiff rope, and silks and one or two water bottles.

When my table is setup, it has a shelf and is fully draped down to the ground, so I can toss my knap sack under it after I set out everything I will use for performance onto the shelf. It keeps the bag relatively safe. The whole thing also looks very substantial, has my name and "Family Safe magic" on three sides of it, so that is probably why I don't have much trouble getting people to believe I am a magician. It says so right on the table drape Smile

And then I start drawing an edge.

The distance I am traveling dictates the amount of stuff I carry. If I am going to do a lot of walking to my pitch, a lot of those card decks don't accompany me.

But I did a festival last year with this same setup, and the crowds were so great, I had a constant turn of 40-50 people in a crowd about every 15 minutes, so I could reuse effects, and even got a number of people coming back with friends to show them and they requested something that blew them away earlier. Anyway I was having a great time, and so were the specs, and I totally lost track of time, until my wife told me the festival was shutting down, and I realized I had been performing over 4 hours continuously with the same "easy to carry" effects and table.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I use a standard waiters stand table set up. My pouch, which I wear throughout the show, has (in an inner compartment) a deck of cards, sharpie, TT, several silks, and in the pouch itself, my cups, wand, loads, and rope.

I also take along a small, lightweight tool bag with an extra deck, some bottle water, extra balls for the cups, extra wand, pitch rope to mark off my pitch, some coins, and assorted junk.

I do cups, ropes, one or two card tricks, silk vanish.
Chris
THEGREATSMILLINNI
View Profile
New user
ROBERT W SMILLIE
28 Posts

Profile of THEGREATSMILLINNI
Hi Guys & Gals,
An easy table to use and transport your small magic tricks for street magic is a roll-a-way sample suitcase with a handle that pops out from the top of the suitcase. Plus, an expandable hamper that folds out of a hat size bag. For attaching the table top, use a 1/4 piece of fiberboard cut to fit inside your suitcase, when not in use. The fiberboard has hinges attached to one end and a hinged stick in the center of the the bottom side of the fiberboard. Two holes are drilled in the handle part to attach the fiberboard with two 1/4 inch bolts and wing nuts.

Set up is about 2 minutes. The suitcase is the type that pilots use and cost about $35-$50. The expandable hamper costs about $10. It is used for the magic tricks you have done.

What to carry in the suitcase? Sponge balls, cups & balls, cards, or whatever will fit in the suitcase. If you want to get facny with your table top, glue some type of fabric to it.

For an affordable PA system you carry around your waist you can get one for about $75 - $150.

Good Luck
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
551 Posts

Profile of vernon
Well, I have a trestle table like thingy ala waiters stand (hand made...)and large table surface with changeable top...A handmade leather and leather stitched over the shoulder bag, that carrys all my props,(pouch C+B and loads, cards gags gimmicks and a sandwich...) and is strong enough to carry all the money afterwards.Leaving my hands free to carry an amp can and the hand of my girl...
Oh the joys of the street...in Edinburgh just now getting the jump on fellow festival attendees...
Live and love life.
James James
aka Vernon
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2113 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I use a bacpack as my case, and a great deal on my person. The pants I wear have 3 pockets (big ones) on each leg, I have a belt-pouch....not a buskers apron-style pouch...just a little leather side bag, and a vest (bannana republic safari) with numerous pockets.
on my person is TT, TT with VisiBill loaded, stealth-pen, sloBurn pack (Canadian dollars), invisible deck, electric deck, DeKram deck with two 'fine-print' cards, Xpert, coin for Xpert, Sharpie, sponge balls (2 big for me, and 10 small for my child volunteer), long card, Quadriflex, napkin rose & hershey's kisses, elastic, stargazer, ballerina silk, white coils, and rainbow coils (both 50')

in The packaroo--2 slinkys, makin'sprks, bouncing hanky, bubble device, changebag, magnifying glass, flash paper, real roses, spare coils, Xpert-compatible deck of cards, pilot's goggles, tibetan cap, miser's miracle, 12 balloons, and a rubber chicken.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
I try to keep it streamlined. I only carry a couple decks of cards (they get beat up pretty quick), cups and balls, straight jacket, a T.T. a silk, a hank of rope, a few sponge balls, and my table and stand. I always try to remember that this is a mobile craft, and the more one has to carry, the less mobile you are. Besides, I think that the longer you do this, the more you realize that it's not how many effects you perform, but the manner in which you perform them. Overall, I think it just takes time to decide which effects best suit you, and which ones best suit your audience. This only comes from doing it out there on the street. **Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also carry a complete sawing a lady in half, the zig-zag girl and a seven foot guillotine. Just to keep it interesting.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Dan:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question - much appreciated.

Ron
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
When doing street, I generally use a bright red plastic bushel basket. Everything including the tips can go in there, and I have a little folding dolly to carry it around in.

Keith Stickley
http://howtobookfestivals.com
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is a great post and I have really enjoyed reading and learning. I am performing street style strolling magic for one of the largest music festivals on th east coast. I am working the entire weekend. I am sure it will be a learning experience.

My problem now is figuring out the best table I can use for my magic while still being able to be as moble as I want to be. This festival takes up city blocks of Bethlehen,. PA and I have a feeling we will be needing to walk a lot of it to get to the areas they want us to work.

I hear many are using a roill on style table and I anm thinking this may be a great way to go for myself and my wife. I can have everything in it including our portable sound system and all I have to do when I get to a spot, is pop it open, place my sign on front and I am pretty much ready to go. The table also is not cloth covered so it can handle and take the weather pretty good.

The problem and concern I have is that The table is a bit low when folded down and having to bend over to move this thing around can be annoying for great distances. It may not be as bad as I am envisioning. I think the set up for this table would make things so much easier though for us by simplifying and just haviong one table and my wifes small suitcase style bag on wheels with a handle. This would probably be all we need to perform.

One solution was to put the roll one table on a small pull cart that I have. This is one of those carts that folds down flat but pops open and has a nice base and a hanelt area that extends upwards. I could then place the table on this, attach the cord that comes with it around the table to fasten it and I am in business. This way it might be easier for me on the long walks etc.

I guess the best thing to do is simply try it and see what tends to work the best and go from there.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Kyle,
Danny, who is using a lefler suitcast table, is transporting it on a trolly. Your instincts are right on. I use a traditional street table--homemade tray stand and top--which straps onto a push cart along with the rest of my stuff: amp, boom box, magic bag, etc.

Have fun in PA! TAKE WATER WITH YOU and a towel to wipe your hands.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Jim,

Hey it is great to hear from you. I am glad to know that my thinking is fairly right on with this. I love the roll on table idea for what it is Kelly and I want to do at the festival. With this festival being so large as it is and in all the streets of the city, I think having the table fastened onto a trolly will ease in the transport of it to the spots where they want us to perform. Then the table can carry my stuff, my music and portable sound system.

Then kelly will take the other small suitcase style bag with a handle and wheels and we will use that for our water, drinks, towels, ponchos incase of rain etc. I think that should work out wel, for us.

I just tested it on the trolly cart we have and it fits perfectly. The strap goes around it and through the handle area and hooks back to the trolly handle. Hmm this should work and worth testing out.

Thanks Jim for the advice and words of encouragement. We are going to have a blast taking our show to the streets and working the many hours each day of the festival. I am sure to take digital pics and share them with you guys. I am sure to also learn a lot.

Well, I best get going and reading up here. I want to learn all I can before I do this event so I am as prepared for it as I can be. I have done strollling magic at festivals before, but nothing on this scale or magniture before.

I am also going out to get a nice black Fedora hat. I have a smaller one and it seems to work nicely to protect my head from the sun and goes with the outfit.

I am going to read more on gathering a crowd in a larger format situation and also how best to stay cool etc. Thanks again.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Kyle,

Are you going to pass a hat or are you being paid by the venue? If you are paid by the venue gathering a crowd will most likely be no problem. I would just start calling out "Show time!" In a festival type situation they will more than likely be happy to stop and check you out.

The suitcase table is a champ on a trolly! that is what I am using. I have a large table so it becomes fairly heavy when pulling it for long distances with the sound system inside but if you are only going too and from one spot you should be fine.

I don't know what you are planning to do for material but the best bet is to pick stuff you are all ready doing in your other shows. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but in the type of venue you mention your chair suspension could work as a great closer.

Break a leg!

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Case to you use, What's in your Case, and Your Style of "Street Magic"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL