The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Case to you use, What's in your Case, and Your Style of "Street Magic"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dan,

Yes, I will be paid by the festival as is usually the case when I perform at the festivals and fairs I take part in. I have done festival strolling magic before many many times as it is a part of one of my festival packages (day rate). However,m I have not been booked to just do strolling street style magic for a festival of this magnitude before. This is why I am doing a lot of research and reading a lot here to better prepare myself. You all have been a huge help to me.

This event and festival is the largest music festival on the east coast with well over 1 million people attending over the 10 days. It also is very spread out and covers blocks upon blocks of the entire city. This means there will be a lot of people traffic and probably a lot of us performers walking long distances to various aposts to perform.

I have a show time clock that I use and may put this out while I am setting p at a spot. It is highly visual and that along with my sign on my table should attract attention. I also have a portable sound system for my voice as well as for my music. So as I set up and get ready, I can have music playing so that the sound can be used as a method for drawing a crowd as well.

I like the suitcase table on a trolley idea and my wife and I tried it out last night. It worked out well for us. I just take a bungee style widfe strap and use that to hold it to the trolley. This makes it easy for us to move it around the streets. I like the table better then my first option which was to get a lawn cart type of thing used for gardening etc. It looked like a cooler on wheels with a handle. This suitcase idea is much better as I do not have to transfer magic and props from one storage device into a table when I get to a spot. The sound system will go in the suitcase table with ease.

I would LOVE to do chair suspension right there in the middle of the street. I perform this at a lot of my festival stage shows and it just really never fails to get a great reaction form people watching it. The only problem is that this venue is sdo big and will be having us walking great distances, that trying to carry and move this illusion would pose a big problem for us.

I am doing a lot of stuff from my regular festival stage shows which has been tested and is fairly angle proof over the years. I will just have to work out some smaller shows in my mind so that when I am working, my wife and I knows what we will be doing next so the show flows without dead time.

Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it. If anyone wants to know some of the stuff I may be performing or has additional information for me, I would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Kyle,

There is a guy here in Boston who has lugged his Harbin style chair suspension on a trolley, with a lefler table. You should be able to set the prop down behind the lefler table on the trolley and strap the both of them.

It worked a treat for the guy here in Boston. You might want to give it a try.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dan:

My trolley is not a flat bed type trolley but more like an open metal frame trolley with two wheels used to carry luggage or boxes. I am afried it just would not hold or be too bulky to lug that around.

I really would LOVE to perform it as it is a signature routine for Kelly and I, but with the amount of people in the streets and the distances we have to go, I am just thinking this may not be the best idea for this particular event.

Once I see the areas and get a better sense of it, I may just bring it and leave it in the car. If I feel that I can get away with it and the distances to my performance areas are not so great, then I can always go back and bring it out if I need it. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I have plenty of material as each festival season, I change my shows around and develop new routines to keeop the show and myself fresh. It also allows me to remain creative. I think even if I do not do the chairs, I should still be ok with the amount of material I can go to to create good street performances.

Thanks Dan. I do appreciate it and you certainly have me thinking here. I will think things over a lot in the next few days leading up to this event. For now, I must get prepared to entertain and laugh with a lot of 5 year olds at a b-day party near me. I love performing for kids even if I do not do as many b-day gigs as I once used to. It allows me to be a big kid again and have a lot of fun with them.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
The guy in question used an upright luggage trolly.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dan,

Thanks for the information. It is nice to know that my thinking is right in line wqith others who have more experience at this then I do. Thanks for the information as it has been a HUGE help to me and my wife as we prepare for this gig next weekend.

We tried out our new portable sound system today and it worked wonderfully for us. Happy about that as it should allow us to have good sound, music and voice amplification without carrying around a lot of equipment to make it happen.

Now I just need to pack everything up and test how we want to carry stuff and we should be good to go. I then just need to figure out how I best want to present my routines and go form there. It certainly will be a great and valuable learning experience for sure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
I find that the best way to lug a chair suspension around is in a suitbag.
With the right type of suitbag the 2 chairs and the boards fit in and the strap can be used to carry the whole deal on one shoulder and the weight is not so bad.

Good Luck,
HowDini
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good idea on the suitbag.

I use the small Lefler table. I also bought some tupperware-esque recangle containers that fit perfectly (3 accross) into one of the shelves. That is where I keep all my smaller props, effects. The big stuff like cups, rings, hat, pouch all go into the bottom. The tupperware keeps all the small stuff from getting mixed up between shows.

I can load the box sideways into my car and it comes out exactly as it went in.

When I get to the gig, I take the lids off and use the 3 continers as drawers and ditch those effects back into their respective containers so clean up after a gig is easy as pie.

I put that and my tabletop onto a hand-trolly-thingy and wheel it all to the gig.
The lefler has wheels but I never use them going from car to gig and vice versa.

Danny, do you think the Lefler table is too tall for your cups and balls routine?
After I put my table top on that for added workspace, It seems a few inches taller than it should be but I've gotten used to it by now.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-27 14:31, Danny Hustle wrote:
Hi Ed,

Batteries.

Don't leave us hanging, how many and what size? Smile

(Weird thing just happened. When I clicked on the "simile code" link at the bottom of the message, instead of opening a second window, it closed this window and opened a new one!)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a Fender Passport that I have used for about 5 years now. It is much more versatile than one might think. I was doing a show in a tent a couple of years ago, and I didn't like the sound that I was getting from the speakers that were supplied with it, so I pulled out my Ramsa speakers and used them, instead. The Passport drove them with no trouble at all, and the sound was excellent.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Gensheimer
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Gensheimer
Here's the folding trolly that I use.... the Super 600 made by Kart-a-Bag. These units are bulletproof and will haul 300 pounds of stuff. We've been using them for years in the tv production biz. Musicians love them as well.

http://www.kart-a-bag.com
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Wow there sure a lot of gems of knowledge in themagiccafe!

I really like this tread.

I carry most of my magic in a book box that says "Treasure Island" on the side and it has embroidered weaving in the lid of the box that has "Treasure Island" in french. People are very curious about the box and what is in it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For maybe 30-plus years I have used a Salesman's Sample case (rectangular with the lids that open out-- similar to what airline pilot cases look like).

I don't busk, but did comedy clubs with this and other venues. In it are: Linking Rings, Jumping Stool (which I set it on), my card in balloon, half/dyed Silk, Chase the Ace giant cards, rope, scissors, blank gun and ammo (except if I fly), Duke's Dye version, Electric Deck, my version of Potty Prediction and a few decks of cards. Oh, and a Shure Microphone clip. Either Plumber's Sticks or my custom chinese sticks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I bought a tool box at Wal*Mart, black with two yellow doors covering compartments built into the lid. The compartments hold cards and coins, everything else goes into the main box of the tool box. I bought some foam letters and decorated the box with magic phrases. Most of the letters fell off, only the ABRACADABRA on the back remains. So I made up some signs on the computer and printed them out in color The top of the box has "Support Street Magic" and "Drop Something In The Bucket." The sides have "Wizard at Work," my name with "Magic & Fun!" written under it and rabbit ears poking out of a hat (I found that on an ad for a database program about 12 years ago. I imagine if I ever tried to use it professionally, I'd be in trouble.) Finally, when I went to Disneyworld, I got one of those free maps they hand out at each world, this one had a Kodak ad with the slogan "Capture the Magic" so that went on the box as well.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Interesting case with built-in speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraf......tool+bag
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
That is sooo cool Riff.
For flypitching me thinks this would work great. Thanks for the lead/posting Smile
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
The more I look at the 'case with built in speakers' RiffRaff posted, the more I see the potential in this baby.

At one time I use to perform with a doctors bag & a Ghetto Blaster. The music was great for my manipulation (rings, cards, balls, cigs) which was about half my show and helped save my voice plus nice in non-english speaking places. This case has lots of pockets which the doctors bag had not. And talk about a flyppitchers dream. With the built in ipod player you can literally close up and be gone in a second.

I think I'm in Love Smile
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I got to play with it a bit in a loud trade show floor.
The speakers are quite small, but very good.
However, if you're outside in a very loud environment, they may not be enough.
I run all of my music thru OneTrack on my iPhone, so this is a very efficient prop.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
If I am going my short routine with only cards, ropes, and rings, I use a portable voting booth that I converted into into a magic table/carrying case. If you don't know what I am talking about, search ebay for portable voting booth.

It holds 6 decks of cards, including a larger dragon fanning deck,
a stiff rope,
Prof Nightmare ropes,
C&R rope 12 ft,
3 14" linking rings,
A close up pad that velcros to top of table
4 folded legs for the table
A shelf that velcros to legs
A full black drape that covers 3 sides, leaving back open to toss in a backpack, with water, crackers, and nutrition bars.

I had it set up at the IBM in Cleveland a few years ago, and when I took it down, and stored it all back into the booth/case, I had a crowd around me asking where I got it.

The unfortunate thing is that it isn't big enough for my Gazzo cups.

So if I am doing the long routine which incudes cups, I take a folding x frame organ stand, with a separate top made from plywood, with a picture frame on top, and indoor/outdoor carpet working surface. And I carry everything else in the pouch Gazzo made for me. Cups, loads, some rope, and some cards. And I carry the same small backpack with water nutrition bars, etc.

I usually have both set ups with me, and the pitch and my mood decide which goes out to play.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
I have a vintage sewing box that I got at a thrift store for $3. It easily fits cups and balls, decks of cards, spongeballs, rope, and TT. It hasn't been used on the street yet, but as soon as the weather turns around it will!
It's not big enough for a large set of rings, but a smaller set could fit inside for sure.. But I also don't know how to do the linking rings, so no worries.

Click here to view attached image.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
I have a leather briefcase that I have mounted on a plumbing flange so it can screw onto a drumstand. It holds all my gimmicked wands, my cups and balls, my trickle jar, 4 billiard balls, two decks of cards (one standard, the other pre set for "everywhere and nowhere") 8 sponge balls, 20 half dollars, my 8" linking rings set, my 2 smaller linking rings, my x ray specs, 2 thumbtips, silks, a large flag of a rabbit/duck, a tv antenna on a rope that I use to string up my banner, my banner and a box full of thimbles.

Oh, and I almost forgot the three sharpies and the umbrella.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Case to you use, What's in your Case, and Your Style of "Street Magic"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL