The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A good Q&A routine ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cyrillevigo
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of cyrillevigo
Hi everybody !

I would like to include in my act a q&a routine, I was looking for a while a good one but I need some help...
First I bought the Docc Hilford routine "Richey Technique", good but limited with 3 people. Then I bought the Richard Osterlind "The very modern Mindreader", I didn't try it out with a real public but it sounds very good. Now I checked that R. Osterlind is selling his ThoughtScan (250$)... Anyone knows the two methods ?
Anyone could tell me if one is better than the other one ? (the effect seems the same)
Anyone could advise me another good q & a routine ?

Thanks for helping ...

Good bye from Spain !

Bye !!!
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
173 Posts

Profile of chriscox
The main thing about a Q&A act is the presentation and you as a performer...it doesn't matter what method you use.

You need to think about how you will present it, and it takes an accomplished and entertaining performer to do it justice!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
A wise member of this board once told me. It doesn't matter what the method is, it doesn't even need to be covert, simply be good at answering the questions...
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Lea Earle Has a good Q&A video.....it covers a lot.

Shrink
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
If you are going to do this routine I think it is important that you truly understand the full weight of what you are doing. People really will believe that you are sensing things about them. So whatever cold reading you put in there make sure it is positive otherwise you may be putting the fear of God into people.

As far as Q+A methods, my favourites are of course Richard Osterlind's Thought Scan, and I really like Falkenstein and Willard's method too. You can find it on their video series.

The presentation is the most important thing in this, as with anything in magic. The method you use needs to be one you are comfortable with so that you can lend yourself to presenting if effectively.

Just some thoughts.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Kennedy,
With all due respect, I would call ThoughtScan a message reading method rather than Q&A.
When that is mentioned, I also own ThoughtScan, have performed it a few times lately and am amazed about the effect this has on the audience.

The rest of you guys:
Listen to Kennedy's advice here, he is absolutely right, and to the point.

If you look for a good Q&A routine, you should absolutely consider The Very Modern Mindreader. That's IMO one of the best methods.
You will also find a very good one in (I believe) Tarbell 6.

- but again, methods is one thing, the important thing here is the presentation which makes you sink or float.

Sven
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Kreskin has a very BOLD killer method of doing Q&A and if you have a chance to see him live it's worth the price of admission because he not only is performing the Q&A but he is also setting the audience up for the second act.
I won't discuss the method here, you'll just have to trust me that if youre a working pro that you'll come away with a lot.

Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Richard has a great new Q&A coming out very soon too. I think he will reveal it on his new DVDs but may very well be selling the requisits too. Very much worth looking at if you want a real world solution to the question and answer routine.

Sven, I see completely what you mean, howevr with a little thought you cold also play it as a Q&A in my mind. I think the reason I blurted out with it is because it is such a great iee of kit and like to shout about it at any given oppotunity.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2005-07-29 05:46, Kennedy wrote:
I think the reason I blurted out with it is because it is such a great iee of kit and like to shout about it at any given oppotunity.

:)
Me too!
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 15:25, Sven Rygh wrote:

If you look for a good Q&A routine, you should absolutely consider The Very Modern Mindreader. That's IMO one of the best methods.

Sven,

Isn't the original version of Osterlind's VMM (The Annemann version I believe) in an issue of the Jinx?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6961 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
It's also in Annemann's Bargin Mental effects. But Richard's new handling is much improved. Very detailed and, more importantly, you not only give the spectator their card back but also the same envelope.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Scott and cfrancis;

Yes, you are both right.

Sven
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Q n A is one of my top mentalism effects for strolling and parlor. It always gets a strong reaction. Good acting is a must.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I learned basic cartomancy after I bought Docc Hillford's night-club Q&A act..it's super and plays very well. It's on video and well worth the price.

I also like the Graphology Q & A approach. Do a search here.

All the best,

Rick
Self concept is destiny..
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Thanks guys great posts, I'll have to check out Richard's Q & A when it hits the market... sounds good.

Cyrillevigo: The Richey Technique is great, but probably better close-up. I have used it and it plays well.. but it should be done more in a "reading" style to be most effective.

Sean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A good Q&A routine ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL