The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Two Young Mentalists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5751

What is the basis for this mentalism effect? Where can I read about the method? Is it in any books or videos out there?

Thanks,
Jared
Jared Brandt
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Yes it is

Jack

H.O.A_X
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Excellent?

- Jared
Jared Brandt
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I believe what your looking for is things like Two-way telepathy or Two-person telepathy. I believe Falkenstein and Willard have very good stuff on this.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I have searched for them but are having trouble finding anything on Two-Way Telepathy... can anyone recommend some titles that I may be able to find?

Thanks,
Jared
Jared Brandt
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of lane99
The secret is: he asked open-ended questions for which there are several correct answers. For example, when dad asked "what is this MAN wearing?", the little guy said "a watch". Well, it's true. But, how about if little guy said "pants!"...that would have been true, too. So as long as every MAN in the audience was wearing pants, they had an "out" they could go to in case he didn't get it correct the first time. Get it?

Sigh, ok, seriously: on the page where that video is, it lists that they learned to trick from "13 Steps to Mentalism". I think that's probably correct since, as far as I can remember, there IS a section on "Two way Telepathy" in that book.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
There is a great book by Angelo Stagnaro called Conspiracies (sp?), in which he details many many confederate or two person effects.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 07:05, lane99 wrote:
Sigh, ok, seriously: on the page where that video is, it lists that they learned to trick from "13 Steps to Mentalism". I think that's probably correct since, as far as I can remember, there IS a section on "Two way Telepathy" in that book.

That is correct. Corinda dedicates one entire chapter to this skill. He says that it is one of the hardest things to maste but well worth the time you put into it.

//Christian
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Thanks very much! I've added those books to my list of books to buy!

Thanks again,
Jared
Jared Brandt
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
For anyone in Mentalism I think 13 Steps is pretty much essential anyway.
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 07:31, Kennedy wrote:
There is a great book by Angelo Stagnaro called Conspiracies (sp?), in which he details many many confederate or two person effects.

Kennedy

Great book??? You got to be kidding, Stagnaro has nothing good, everything is copied material.
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 17:56, SteeleFusion wrote:
For anyone in Mentalism I think 13 Steps is pretty much essential anyway.

This will be my first attempt at mentalism. Is this effect easy to do, or would you suggest something else to start?

- Jared
Jared Brandt
kozai
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kozai
Quote:
This will be my first attempt at mentalism. Is this effect easy to do, or would you suggest something else to start?

- Jared

You may be a bit off on your thinking of mentalism, is what the kids are doing easy? no.

Is this a starter effect in the field of mentalism? no.

A two person routine needs two people absolutely dedicated to learning what they need to know, this is why Corinda says it's one of the hardest things to get into... If you are but one man, you simply can not do this effect.

If you want to learn about mentalism, then 13 Steps is a wonderful book. You will learn things you can do but a two person show is about much much more than reading an EFFECT/METHOD description.

Perhaps if you told us what it is you want to accomplish for your first mentalism effect the people here could point you in a proper direction. My own suggestion: Learn a card stack and sell it with everything you have, do a one ahead routine and convince them you were reading minds, try a center tear and believe you know the impossible... If you learn these things, and learn to do it convincingly you are 90% to becoming a true mentalist. Learn to sell (to the spectator) the most basic of tricks before ever worrying about having to buy anything.
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Read 13 steps, then decide what you want to go deeper into. There might be somethin else that you find better for you etc. I also agree with Kozai that two persson telepathy is the wrong way to begin in mentlaism, it's like beginnign card magic and trying the classic pass before you know a double lift.

//Christian
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Fair enough.. thanks very much for the advice! I will pick up that book and, like suggested, start with maybe a stacked deck routine or a one-ahead.

Thanks very much,
Jared
Jared Brandt
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of espmagic
It seems like you are trying to do a 2 person act with the same intent as a ventriloquist who wants to do a "partner" stand-up comedy routine...work on the basics, first, and sell them well, so that your audience thinks you're real. THEN work with a partner (the solo work will prepare you for those moments when you need to CYA...)

Lee
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2571 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
If you are going to do a two person act, read Corinda and Annemann's stuff about it, and then forget it all and make your own stuff up from scratch with your partner of choice.

Only then does it get exciting, and even remotely easy to remember. Learning other peoples stuff for two person acts is a complete pain in my opinion. Much better to invent your own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Two Young Mentalists (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL