The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Paper » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SBeck24Svn
View Profile
New user
Leeds, England
83 Posts

Profile of SBeck24Svn
Hey all,
I'm really interested in getting into performing effects with Flash Paper. I know what effects are possible, however I've never been near any type of flash paper, never mind know what to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any ways of how to get into it.... eg. any books/videos?

Any help appreciated,

Simon.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
If you scroll down through the forum sections you will find one called "Up in Smoke." You should be able to find plenty of information there to get you started. Good luck and stay safe!

Paul M.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
A word of caution:
DON'T BURN YOURSELF!

-Chris

(Just kidding. It won't burn you.)
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Chris writes: "(Just kidding. It won't burn you.)"

Oh, yes it will!

That's why you can't send it through the mail; it is, after all, a low-grade explosive.

Earlier this year, close-up worker Joe Raven lost several fingers when a flash product he was working with went off prematurely.

The potassium mixture is extremely flammable and somewhat unstable.

That's why magicians who are new to flash products are continually told to buy it from a dealer and not try to make it themselves.

This is a dangerous product!

BE CAREFUL!

Smile
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
How does one typically ignite it?
Flame?
Rub?

My ignorance showing...
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Paper is usually ignited with a flame of some sort (i.e. a match, candle, or cigarette). Flash cottons are ignited with a flint device or electronic glow plugs.

The best thing you can do is discuss what you want to do with a knowledgeable dealer and follow the instructions you are given. All pyrotechnics must be handled with knowledge and respect. I know a lot of magicians who use them safely and effectively, but I have also known people who have been mutilated or killed by messing with this stuff improperly.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
In Kevin James' Floating Rose, he uses flash paper to fold in half and then fold into a rose and then light on fire. If I were going to do this effect, do you forsee any problems that might arise regarding the use of the flash paper?
Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
The main thing would be to make sure the rose is not near anything that could catch fire. This includes yourself and your spectator. The flame is quick, but still lasts about 1.5 seconds. If you have a tape of this effect, watch it and observe how the magician positions himself and the spectator for the burn.

Good Luck,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2002-10-24 06:35, Peter Marucci wrote:
Chris writes: "(just kidding, it wont burn you)."

Oh, yes it will!

The potassium mixture is extremely flammable and somewhat unstable.

This is a dangerous product!

BE CAREFUL!

Smile

Peter is right on the money. Smile

Flash paper, while wonderful, can and does burn. I have suffered the burn of not attending to what I was doing when using it.

If you are going to use, please attend to what you are doing and treat it with respect. Also, please store it in a cool, dry location away from any combustion.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
I think the best trick with flash paper is Jay Sankey's "In a Flash." Definitely a jaw dropper, and it's easy to do to! Smile
unclesnake
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of unclesnake
When I was working on the Riverboats on the Mississippi about twenty-five years ago, Captain Jim Ford folded a piece of aluminum foil in half four or five times and dropped the packet in my hand. It warmed up and burned to ash (I dropped it on the table and watched it smoke). Was it flash paper in the foil? Or what?
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
(For a mild reaction) Magnesium and Water, see my later post.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Magnesium and water? Is this safe? Where can I get the magnesium? Is there patter to use with this trick? After being in the army for several years, I love pyro tricks.
Steve
zzz
unclesnake
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of unclesnake
Thanks, Geoff, I'm on the track of information about magnesium and water now (and aluminum?) Any tips on where to find it? I find I'm never short of patter.
Thanks again.
shaddy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shaddy
Hi, I just bought flash paper and it was wet. Well, not soggy wet, it's like damp. It still works when you light it, but will it work if I dry it out? Or was I ripped off?
Because I think that the wetness helps the chemical reaction.

And how do I fold a piece of flash paper like 4 cm length, 2 cm width, so it will burn continually, because I keep lighting it twice before it all disappears?

Thanx in advance.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Shaddy: Flash paper needs to be dry to work properly. Federal law requires it be mailed wet. Now you've just got to put it in a safe dry place, preferably in sunlight, and let it sit.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
It is more likely to be using an organic liquid sold as "hypno-heat". This warms up any metal (such as aluminium/aluminum foil). I never did run an IR spec of the liquid to find out what it was, but as a chemistry undergraduate I should have an opportunity.

Anyone else know what liquid "hypno-heat" is?
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
How is flash paper set off? Won't it ignite if left in the sunlight?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Flash paper is set off with a heat or flame source.
If it is dried out enough, it could possibly ignite in the sunlight.
THIS IS DANGEROUS STUFF -- DON'T FOOL WITH IT!
Hypno Heat, as referred to by Unclesnake, is not much better. Very unstable and hard to adjust and control. You could seriously burn someone with this and, in these litigious times, how many lawsuits can one afford?
Magnesium is bad enough; as for using potassium and similar elements, NO, NO, NO!
Well, not unless you want to blow your fool self up!
And you will, eventually.
And when it happens, don't say I didn't warn you!
Smile
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Yeah, whatever you do, don't mess with anything far down in the first column of the periodic table.

A few times in high school I have had science teachers demonstrate just how destructive potassium is by tossing extremely small amounts of it into a water bath. It literally ignites in a flash and violently burns out (one blew up the glass container it was tossed into, too).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash Paper » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL