The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Psychology of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Found an interstic article on the pychology of magic with comments from Richard Wiseman

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/s......,00.html

Big Fan of Wisemans work, he was a big name at my old uni.

He wrote a great book called the theory of magic which is a good read!

For me Magic all depends on belief - this is why I enjoy mentalism - whilst most of us all know that a man cannot be chopped in half - we can posssibly believe that a man can read minds / non verbal cues.

What always amazes meis the selective memory of participants. They'll recall an effect I did a week ago - and it will nearly always be totally different to what I did - or perhaps I'm just good at installing amnesia!

Off out now to get drunk on cocktails!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
A bit too late Mark.....see earlier post below..Bursting the magic Bubble

Howard
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2005-07-29 15:49, Mark Hogan wrote:

What always amazes meis the selective memory of participants. They'll recall an effect I did a week ago - and it will nearly always be totally different to what I did - or perhaps I'm just good at installing amnesia!

No amnesia at all Mark. It works like this: you deliver an effect for me, it then becomes exactly that: mine! It's my trick, you did it for me, it's my story and I get to do what I want with it.
And, just like everyone else, that means that rather than play it down I'll actually embellish it. Make it bigger. The by-product of all of this is that I'll actually be embellishing you and your work, actually making 'you' bigger.
It's one of the best kick backs we get as magicians/mentalists.
Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Psychology of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL