The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk thru broomstick or microphone stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet reel for silk thru broomstick/microphone stand? It must be very quite, used for close up work.

Thanks,

Dick
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Kirkendall or P&L if you can find them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Dick:

I bought an Owen reel about 20 years ago, and was very happy with it. I remember it being not too expensive, about the same price as a Kirkendal. I'm pretty sure Owen still still sells it.

I also noticed that Joe Stevens is selling a utility reel for less than $50.00. I might be worth contacting them to see how silent it is.

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dick,

Give Haines House of Cards a shout and see if they have access to the old KirKendal reels. I have gotten them from Bill before. The last one I got was white, but it certainly beat plan B!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The last time I talked with Bill (Gatlinburg 2 years ago) he was trying to get the reels back into to production. A friend of George's, who worked on a lot of stuff with George, is still alive and able to make this stuff. Bill and I are both trying to get this guy going on this.

The sad part is all the stuff is there. George had 10,000 cans stamped, the spring metal is there. It just all needs to be put together.

I thought a lot of George. He graduated high school with my dad and his father lived only a 1/2 mile from my folk's farm.

I am checking out a couple of other sources for reels and will keep you posted.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I've just seen the new flyer from Mak-Magic, they have a metal finger reel now. I do not know the noise factor, but if you read up on reels they can be made quiet by packing with Vasoline and placing a playing card shim in the reel.

Note: This does not refer to the cheap dollar snatcher that does not come apart type of reel.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have an old Paul Diamond reel that had the line break and I'd love to get it fixed. It was always quiet and worked great. Is there anyone out there in magic land that repair's old reels?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
758 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
A friend of mine recently showed me his reel by El Duco. It's very nice. Well constructed and quiet. He has been happy with it for a while and he does do the silk through microphone stand in conjunction with two other routines utilizing a reel.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
The reel Joe Stevens has is very nice. I recently purchased it from him and I am very happy with it. Give him a call and he can assist you I'm sure!
Tony
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 16:51, Richard Lucas wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet reel for silk thru broomstick/microphone stand? It must be very quite, used for close up work.

Thanks,

Dick

Stoner's Funstores at http://www.stoners.com have one of the last Paul Diamond reels left in their showcase. It is about $45 I believe. His reels are very quiet, and if you head the instructions you will keep it quiet. Vaseline!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
It didn't take long for that to get picked up; I can't find it on their website.

Too bad, the P.D. reel's worked really great.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3792 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe Paul Diamond is still offering to repair reels at a nominal cost...
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
299 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Are you aware of the version without using a pull? There is a method in a book by Shigeo Takagi published by Richard Kaufman. The effect is called Ghostly silk.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was a a version also called "Hyper silk" that you tied the silk onto the stand and pulled it off. I think there is also some stuff in an old booklet called "Naughty Silks" by Harold Rice.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 15:42, Julie wrote:
I believe Paul Diamond is still offering to repair reels at a nominal cost...

Really? I'll have to look up his contact info on Google and get mine fixed.

Thanks for the info!
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:

I used to perform this frequently at a night club back in the 80's. I would count to three and have the audience yell "GO!". This not only covered any noise, but added some misdirection. I had many repeat customers who would request this trick and others.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 22:40, Mr. Muggle wrote:
It didn't take long for that to get picked up; I can't find it on their website.

Too bad, the P.D. reel's worked really great.

Boy, "you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink". As I said, there is only one left. So, they will not post on the site due to expense. Just email Dick Stoner or the shop and they will give you details to order.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12600 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:

Thanks,

Dick

Try this one:

http://www.stevedraun.com/reels.htm

I have one of these and they are quite nice ... and quiet.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I doubt if the Steve Draun reel will be long enough. It looks like the retractable badge holder currently being sold at Office Depot. For the silk thru you need at least a 36" line or longer.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12600 Posts

Profile of John C
Yea, maybe not. Definitely not 36"
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk thru broomstick or microphone stand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL