The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metal bending - which is best. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Look, you're probably all fed up with my : "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Not this old subject AGAIN?!"

Here is the LAST word (and if anybody asks the same question again, I'm gonna'a kill 'em!)

If you are SERIOUSLY interested in metal bending, then do what I did... Buy them all and make up your own mind! They all have something going for them.

Having done that, go out and buy hundreds of spoons, and then bend them!

Just asking: "which is the best" ain't gonna get you there.

Watch Geller. Read about Geller. Watch Banachek. Read about Banachek. By the way, I love Lior Manor's bending... the wee sod fooled me!

Catch metal bending performances: stop nancying around and bloody-well DO IT!

Anglers - really keen anglers - don't ask "which is the best book on fishing?" They buy every magazine and book they can get their hands on." And that's JUST fishing. So, if you are serious about your metal bending, treat it as a profession and get a part time job so that you can afford to purchase everything and anything on the subject.

All right? Can we stop with the daft question now?

Drew McAdam
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
I agree to some extent but remember, there is a small issue called money. If you have the money to buy only one dvd or book, you want to buy the best. You are maybe made of money, I'll tell ya that I aint. I have to do research before I buy something.

I agree that this is a topic that has benn discussed many times so for the ones intertested, search, then ask.

//Christian
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Of course money can be an issue.

However, be aware of that you'll find no "the best" except for the method(s) that is the best for yourself.
You will see it time and time again, that something that works great for one, doesn't suit the other at all.

I'll second Drew's advice here, if you want to find "the best" metal bending (or nail writer, peek wallet, center tear, force etc etc. for that matter) you have to personally try them all, - or at least many enough to be able to judge.

Sven
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I agree 100%! The investment will pay for itself for the simple fact that after all of your research you will find the best prop/gimmick/method for you and be able to give the most natural and convincing performances, thus you will get more work from this fantastic performance.

I never mind spending a lot of money on somethign if it pays for itself.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
If you're keen, then money doesn't come into it. See those little signs "help wanted" - they mean a little bit of extra income - enough to buy a DVD / book for one evening's work. Go dog walking for the neighbours. Offer to wash their car. Who cares? You can raise the extra little bit of dosh required to get what you want. Can't you?
Depends on how keen and determined you really are!

Just a thought.

Drew
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6188 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Drew, unfortunately, many times you are talking to deaf ears. We have now come to the point in magic where people buy DVDs and then ask, "What's the best effect in them and which one should I watch first?"
It seems a lot of people don't want to take the time to do their own studies or research... they want to do what others have already done before them.
I even find it silly when someone asks a very simple question that can easily be answered by doing a simple search in the Café. How I wish when I was growing up in magic I had something like The Café to simply push a couple of keys and have questions answered. But even that seems to be too hard to do for some... they want everyone else to do the work for them.
Here's the good thing though... those that actually take the time to do the legwork, try out all effects, read every book they can, research everything on their own... those will be the future stars that others will be asking, "how did he/she do that?"
So, I hope more will listen to what Drew has said. And as for money, I wasn't rich as a kid and somehow I found a way to save up enough money to buy the stuff I needed or thought I needed. Yes, I bought some c-r-a-p along the way, but even that taught me something about the road I was on... you'll never get there if you keep following others... they might not be going in the same direction you need to go.
Think on your own. Make some mistakes. That's truly the only way you will ever learn what's best for you.
But, I'm sure that we will continue to see the lemming parade pass us by time and time again. It's a pity because the lemmings don't know what they are missing by just simply refusing to follow the butt in front of them. It's a shame.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Great post Greg. Unfortunately, the internet has created an "I want it NOW!" mentality, especially in the younger generation (is it obligatory to rant about "the kids these days..." once you turn 30?!) My girlfriend is a high school teacher and she's a witness to this instant gratification culture every day. It's rather sad.

And Drew, that's some good advice too. I remember when I seriously got into magic (beyond the Adams tricks from the toy store that were closely rivaled only by Transformers) I spent an entire summer working as a bus boy in a restaurant. It was MY money, and I spent it all at Tannen's. The actual brick and mortar store, not the web site. The point is, if you want it you can get it.

Now I feel old...

One more thing - Greg's post reminded me of the following lyrics (with a nod to Drew as well!):

Another working day has ended.
Only the rush hour hell to face.
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes:
Contestants in a suicidal race.
Many miles away there's a shadow on the door
Of a cottage on the shore
Of a dark Scottish lake...
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6188 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Fred, I was born in New York and ended up in Miami at the age of ten. In the summers of 72, 73 and 74 I went to work for my uncle in White Plains, New York.
Back then I was making a good salary through him by being his assistant porter in the building he lived and worked in.
Every cent I made went right into my weekly train rides to the city and right into the cash register at Tannen's. Wow, I loved those days! Having a weekly salary as a young kid was great, but it was better because I would be poor by the time I got back from the city, but rich with newly bought books and tricks. Sitting on that train ride and going through my stuff was like a weekly Christmas.
Did I buy some junk? You bet. Did I buy stuff that was probably overpriced and not even close to meeting the standards set in the ads? Of course. But did I ever learn some great lessons!!
I remember coming home with Dingle's Deceptions and Harry Loraynes' Close Up Card Magic. I felt like I had the secrets at my fingertips. The hours I spent in one of the empty rooms, at the building, reading and practicing the stuff inside those books. Beautiful memories.
I went home broke every summer from that job. My mom was always mad that I came back without a dime to my name... but that money could not replace the knowledge and fun I had discovering and researching magic.
I had no one to ask, "What's the best trick out there?" or "Hey, I just bought this book... what should I read first?" I was by myself and had to struggle through it all on my own... what a marvelous education. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Greg

P.S. Those summers also allowed me to see The Magic Show with Doug Henning... eleven times!!! I even had front row seats one time! I have pictures I took of Doug signing autographs outside the theater. The memories!
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
That certainly wakes up memories!
I used to deliver the morning newspaper at people's doors in snow and rain, a couple of mornings a week before school, and used pretty much everything of what I got out of that on magic.
It almost was like Christmas each time I had saved enough money to buy a new miracle or book I had wished for so long.
I remember I walked (yes, on my own two feet Smile ) some miles downtown, to a real magic store.
The little shop was well hidden at the 5th floor in an old creepy office building, and you wouldn't stumble over it if you didn't know about it in the first place.
The shop was run by a semi retired magician and his wife.
They were old and a little spooky, but oh so helpful, and it was here, in this shop I took my first steps into the wonderful world of magic.
Each time I bought a new trick after having spent hours in the shop, they told me to go home and practice, and come back to show them how I did. Most of the times they weren't satisfied, and sent me home to practise some more. Smile
I still have my Egg Bag with a wooden, painted egg and a black satin bag, sewn in the shop's back room by the magicians wife. It was also here I got my grand dads costly top hat sprayed with dull black paint inside and equipped with a flap.
This was my first production prop.
I still have the flap as a memento, the hat is long gone!

The moments of learning this way was real magic to a kid like me, and must also have been to all the others that visited that shop

I don't believe that something like this exist any longer.
Today you will see many of the guys borrowing some money or ask mom&dad for it, and run to their computer to, after having sent questions about "the best", order the newest, hippest, coolest to play with until the next hip, cool thing turns up.

That's not very magic, is it? Smile

I tend to miss the old days now and then.

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metal bending - which is best. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL