The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do you buy magic? Why? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
The place I usually shop at is Perfect Magic .

Have a good day!

Louis
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
Rik, I forgot to mention that point as well. Being a smaller magic shop we were definitely not always able to keep or get the latest and greatest and keep it in stock consistently. With all the new items on the market everyday you just can't keep up!

My advise for those of you who don't have a real live touchable magic shop to go to is to purchase items from those shops that have websites as well. There are many great magic business out there that will provide you great customer service, prices, and advise. This will help keep them going for those of us who have the privilege of being able to visit them in person. I wouldn't be here (not in front of my computer, but in magic) without Tony's Trick and Joke Shop in Victoria, a real live magic shop!

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
mrbuzzsaw
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of mrbuzzsaw
Any good shops in the los angeles area? the only one I know of is the hollywood magic shop on hollywood. not even sure if it is still open
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Haha today I went to barnes and noble and found like 4 magic books there... needless to say I am still waiting to buy somewhere other than there great selection.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3399 Posts

Profile of Julie
In AZ try Williams Magic in Tucson--real store, online shopping AND you can call on the phone and actually speak with one of the owners!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
When you buy from a shop you get the help of the magician there. He can answer your questions and help in your decision making. Each time you return he will get to know you better and be there to help. He will be able to recommend what to purchase next and why to make that purchase. He will have a wealth of information that you will not be able to get from an internet site.
On the other hand, you do save money buying from the a web based store.
Life of Magic!
CupsnBalls
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of CupsnBalls
Hi,

I'm pretty new too. I found a decent and cool looking Magic Shop that I go to that sell a lot of David Blaine tricks and got me started into magic:

http://www.MagicDojo.com
http://www.MagicShop.TV

They also have some Free Demo Video Clips and a Chat Forum to join.
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I've purchased from MagicProShop.com, PenguinMagic.com, DennyMagic.com, and TheMagicWarehouse.com. I've also bought some used stuff on eBay, and directly from magicians on their sites. Never had any problems from anybody.

-Dave
Whtdoveprod
View Profile
New user
Columbia South Carolina
1 Post

Profile of Whtdoveprod
Hey everyone,
I have to admit there are some wonderful places out there, but one place that I have constantly dealt with is MadhatterMagicshop.com. The owners take care of you and get your products out with a quickness. So far as I've looked around they have the best prices and some of the lowest on DVD's and such. I've dealt with them so long I feel like family there. Everyone there is really great to deal with and very very knowledgable about any subject you need guidance in. I don't think I'll shop any where else.
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Tuscon is not close too my house. anyone know any places in phoenix?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Smile Personally I prefer to shop at "brick and mortar" establishments but whenever necessary because of unavailability of certain procts or books, I occassionally use the mailorder companies. I am blessed with 2 magic shops in my home town and I frequently travel to Daytona Beach and visit Harry Allen's and Irv Cook's wonderful magic emporium on South Beach Street. I have done business with The Magic Warehouse, Hank Lee, Penguin, in the past but I love to browse around in a magic shop and share the comraderie between fellow lovers of legerdemain; and most of all you are able to see new effects performed before purchase. If you visit Central Florida your trip is incomplete if you don't visit The Daytona Magic Shop. They sponsor a yearly magic extravaganza that is a sellout each year and they always have the best in magic entertainment, seminars, and contests over the span of a weekend in November (Friday thru Sunday).
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
sacmagic
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of sacmagic
When I started I used Magictricks.co.uk religiousley, a brilliant website with almost always (well for me) next day delivery. Also Ellusionist.com. Ill give any website a chance when looking for tricks/videos/books etc. but old faithfull has to be magictricks.co.uk
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Hmmm it seems like I am in the "negative magic" capital of the world. hah I geuss ill just hafta shop online. I'm likin that mjm magic. but I might go with ebay. dunno yet. thanx.
NCR
View Profile
New user
Northfield Mount Hermon, MA
61 Posts

Profile of NCR
Does anyone know of a good magic shop in Denver?
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
hah I geuss ill just hafta shop online. I'm likin that mjm magic. but I might go with ebay. dunno yet. thanx.

Well, I like ya too. ::smile:: We're really a friendly bunch at MJM, and more than happy to help you out.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
I definetly say go with mjmmagic because their prices are awesomely low and you can get a %10 disount after your first purchase on eevrything Smile also they have TONS of products and free shipping Smile check it out http://www.mjmmagic.com
pedrothegreat
View Profile
New user
Southampton - UK
50 Posts

Profile of pedrothegreat
I also use magictricks.co.uk and find them very helpful. however for specific effects I usually just ask here where the best place is to get that effect. this usually results in more than 1 suggestion and I then just pick the best/cheapest (some websites are so poorly put together I refuse to buy from them).
pedrothegreat

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

don't have a magic website but i have a cool car styling website at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
dead_man
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of dead_man
Penguinmagic.com is good for instance down loads. I love elmwoodmagic.com I buy from them a lot.
If the eyes are the window to the soul, you're not going to like the view.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I like the instant downloads from penguin, or I did when I shopped there a few years ago. mjmmagic also has instant downloads.

I'm getting the impression that these instant downloads are like lecture notes. Still, they are pricey. Spend $10 and get a trick. Spend $30 and get a DVD with 20 tricks. So with the ID you get $10 per trick and with the DVD you get 66 cents per trick - n'est pa?

Think of books instead of DVD's and it gets even worse.

So I stopped buying instant downloads. I figure it's just not worth it.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 08:45, rikbrooks wrote:
I'm getting the impression that these instant downloads are like lecture notes. Still, they are pricey. Spend $10 and get a trick. Spend $30 and get a DVD with 20 tricks. So with the ID you get $10 per trick and with the DVD you get 66 cents per trick - n'est pa?

Think of books instead of DVD's and it gets even worse.

So I stopped buying instant downloads. I figure it's just not worth it.

You're right. Mostly, those instant downloads are variations (sometimes not even that!) of old standards that you can find in many magic books. They're there for the "instant gratification" factor. They do work out really expensive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do you buy magic? Why? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL