The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What are the top 5 gimmicks ever invented for close-up magic? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
In your opinion what are the top 5 gimmicks ever invented for close-up magic?

Below is my top 5 list.
1. TT
2. [
3. CS Coin
4. Double Faced Card
5. IT

What about you? It would be interesting to see your replies.

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I'd replace the double faced card with the chop cup.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Yes, good point. I forgot about the chop cup. It should probably be in the top 5.
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
For me..?

1. TT
2. Coin [
3. Swami
4. IT
5. Stripper Deck

because of the amount of different things you can do with them.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
For me the Exploding Lightbulb Gimmick is on the list.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
C/S gaff ( any variation on the theme, which includes all two-sided gaffs), Shell (again, any variation on the theme, including a deck shell, die shell, etc.), TT (AGAIN, and all its' variants, fingertip, etc.), Topit (Do I need to say it again? This is nothing more than a tailored servante), Pull (Yes, this too! Holdouts have been around for a long time)...

All the above are PRINCIPLES that can be applied in many ways to many things - thus my listing them as the most important gimmicks invented for close-up magic. One-trick ponies, like the Chop Cup, are great, but not nearly as verrsatile as the principles I've listed above, in thier most obvious incarnations...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Paul has the correct idea. He is listing principles incorporated into gimmicks, whereas some items on other lists were being too trick specific.

It would be impossible to estimate the value of such simple things as wire, magnets, thread, elastic, sticky substances, mirrors, sponge, clips, pins, and other holdout devices.

Fitzkee laid out many principles with illustrative examples in The Trick Brain.

However, to stay with the original theme which was to list gimmicks, as devices, my list would be:

1) TT
2) Pockets (secret or not)
3) Double-sided anything
4) Shell anything
5) pending...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Maybe it would be useful to make a distinction among the various types of gaffs--fekes, gimmicks, shells, and apparatus.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Its hard to say the top 5 gimmicks ever invented due to the overwhelming amount of different types. I cant decide on 5, but ill give my top 3.

1.TT
2.Coin shell
3.Double Faced card

-Shalin
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Very good points, I'm seeing this list evolve as well as my own perception. Your replies have got me thinking differently in a categorical way with respect to gaffs. It is very interesting how they can be categorized and grouped together by principles. Now, whenever I look at a new gimmick I'm going to think of how it fits into these categories and try to break it down by principles it is based upon.

Thank you,
Rich
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
The only gimmicks that I use or am working on:

Rough/ smooth princible for ID
Magnet specificaly for chop cup
Swami (a work in progress)
My lap and pockets
envelopes
A great volunteer
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

What about the School for Scoundrels Perfect Pea?!?! I'm not sure if it can be classified as a gimmick but man I love that pea! Smile
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Should duplicates, for instance, duplicates jokers, consider a gimmick?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
1 WAX
2 TT
3 dye tube
4 IT
5 magnet

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Some of the items listed above are gimmicks. Some are fekes. Maybe it would be good to define what a gimmick is, before we start listing a deck of cards as a gimmick.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

I must admit that I am not sure of the defining distinction between a gimmick and a fekes.

It does sound inaccuate to classify a deck of cards as a gimmick. Is a gimmick something that looks like the real thing but is completely fake (i.e. cannot serve the purpose of the item it mimics)? If so, since a stipper deck can still be used like a regular deck of cards it is probably is not classified as a gimmick.

Is this somewhat correct or am I totally off base? I have a feeling my perception of the world regarding gimmicks is going to change very soon. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Go ahead Whit, define. Cause I dunno.

In the context of this this post wouldn't
'a device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, for the secret and dishonest control of magic trick' fit.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

In that case Jaz, our hands could be considered gimmicks since they are performing the slights and they certainly deceive. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Ok, you win Rich. heheh. Maybe 'device' isn't the best word to use here.

What were your thoughts on what a gimmick was when you started this topic.

Go to Dictionary.com at http://dictionary.reference.com/
and look up gimmick, gaff, fake or whatever.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Thank you Jaz! Smile

Unfortunately, I'm still a bit confused even after looking the terms up in the dictionary.

Below are the most applicable definitions...

Fake: Having a false or misleading appearance; fraudulent.

Gaff: A trick or gimmick, especially one used in a swindle or to rig a game.

Gaffed: To rig or fix in order to cheat.

Gimmick: a) A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus. b) An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

From these definitions I'd say a Svengali deck is gaff. While a shell is a gimmick. Both of which are fakes. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Anyone for a beer!?!?! Smile

Rich
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What are the top 5 gimmicks ever invented for close-up magic? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL