The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What are the top 5 gimmicks ever invented for close-up magic? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Beer?

Thanks, I think I will.
:cheers:
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Hmmmmm, I have used and continue to prize:

elastic p*lls, in my case rigged with an aligator clip
df playing cards
special knife for the old knife trick
rare earth magnet sewn in the seam of my black shirt
expanded *hell for coins through the table

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have to say that I get far more use out of a double back card than a double face.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Reis, I love double face cards yet I totally see where you’re coming from. I have been learning some new effects using double backers and things may change soon.

What about D'Lites? They must be considered a great gimmick. Smile

Question, if you actually have a fake prosthetic hand then would a TT in that situation be considered a gimmick? What if the TT is built into the prosthetic? Hmmmmm… Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Back in 2000 I gave a summer lecture on magic at Normandale Community College. As part of it I needed definitions of such things. After some serious thinking about my philosophy of magic I came up with these.

Effect: What the audience sees. Often used interchangeably with the word trick by magicians.

Magic: A visual and/or mental representation of the impossible made possible.

Subtley: An action viewed by the spectator, but does not register and makes the effect possible.

Sleight: A manipulation usually with the hands that is unseen and unknown by the audience that assists in acomplishing a trick.

Move: An action that is disguised in some fashion to closely resemble a normal action.

Gimmick: An unseen device used by magician but unknown by the audience that helps to accomplish the effect.

Gaff: A familiar object that has been secretly alterd in some fashion. AKA Fake or Feke in some older books.

Misdirection: A series of various techniques to manipulate the audiences attention.

Prop: Any item real or artifical used by a magician and seen by the audience.

Teed Off: What I will be if I find these definitions in someones book, video or magazine article without crediting me as the author. Smile

Frank Tougas: My Name Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Very nice Frank!!! Smile

Excellent definitions!

The last two are hilarious. Smile

Your definitions for Gaff and Gimmick are very helpful. In addition, I now understand feke. Now I see that most of the items are categorized as gaffs rather than gimmicks. The pull and IT are gimmicks while others appear to be gaffs.

If I had a chance now I'd retitle this post to the top gaffs. These definitions are certainly helpful.

So, would it be o.k. if we compiled say our top 3 Gaffs and top 3 Gimmicks?

Gaffs
1. TT
2. ]
3. CS

Gimmicks
1. IT
2. Pull
3. Magnets

Thank you for sharing and clearing things up.

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Not worrying about gimmick vs. gaff:
1. Shells
2. Magnets
3. Himber Wallet (or similar)
4. Large sponge items which can appear small
5. Double-stick tape
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Frank:

Great definitions. The difference between "Feke" and "Gimmick" is the important one. The "Foo Can" and the "Phantom Tube" have a "feke." A thumbtip or a pull is a "gimmick."

Gaff may be a little more general than feke, because of its origin in Carney (gaffous) and use in stunts and special effects as well as its use in magic, gaff can mean any kind of trickery. "What's the gaff?" so I don't think it is quite the same as Feke or Fake.

I prefer "Feke" because it is specific in application and unique.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
1. Topit
2. Magnets
3. Shell
4. TT
5. IT
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Thank you Mr. Haydn I spent quite a lot of time thinking about it. I wanted to make a good impression for those impressionble college kids. Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Fekes: lota, phantom tube, foo can, mirror glass, mirror box or table, Square Circle, Doll House illusion, multiplying candles, billiard ball shell, silk to egg, egg bag, devil's hank--a "feke" is something used in a trick that is known and seen but that is not quite what it appears to be--it is a familiar object that has been gaffed in some way.

Gimmicks: thumbtip/fingertip, elastic pull, holdout, ball or cigarette dropper, various reels, dye tube gimmick, lock pick, invisible thread, zombie gimmick, swami gimmick, take-up reel, cigar "hat pin"--a gimmick is an unseen and unknown secret device.

Fekes and gimmicks are generally specific to the trick they are intended for.
d2leo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of d2leo
I think my top 4 would have to be:

1.TT
2.Shell
3.IT
4.Magnet
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Pulls, Clips, reels. Never seen but are invaluable.

To go to the other end of the spectrum. A fake finger, used in Meir Yedid's FINGER FANTISIES, is wonderful.

People realize it's fake, it MUST be, after they think about it. But when you do it people go wild. I guess it's more of a Prop.

The thread is Gimmick so add TT and Shell to my first three and you have my list.
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
We just devoted the latest IBM Ring 19 meeting to performances with Fekes and Gaffs. Some of the items used were: IT loop to move a fork, FISM Flash to end the Starcle trick, TT for silk tricks, finger-tip dye tube for a silk routine, Matchstick through solid brass block, Trebucco holdout for a coin routine, Crocodile Coin used with a topic for a silent coins vanish, Coin in Nest of boxes, and more.
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2005, Whit Haydn wrote:
Frank:

Great definitions. The difference between "Feke" and "Gimmick" is the important one. The "Foo Can" and the "Phantom Tube" have a "feke." A thumbtip or a pull is a "gimmick."

Gaff may be a little more general than feke, because of its origin in Carney (gaffous) and use in stunts and special effects as well as its use in magic, gaff can mean any kind of trickery. "What's the gaff?" so I don't think it is quite the same as Feke or Fake.

I prefer "Feke" because it is specific in application and unique.

Gaff had it's origins with, um, halfs.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Neo magnets definitely should be on the list. I don't like to get into the definitions battle because too many things could really be defined by both terms.
But that aside, NEO magnets have made and will continue to make the impossible possible.
J Burke Whittaker
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of J Burke Whittaker
So what is the top 5 fake gimmick, gaffed feke, gimmicked gaff, or gaffed feke gimmick?
judagar
View Profile
New user
Cary, NC
44 Posts

Profile of judagar
A thumb tip
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Well, being a newbie I've found I'm using my TT and Invisible Deck more than just about anything.
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
A deck of cards and 5 coins. I try to keep it simple:]
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What are the top 5 gimmicks ever invented for close-up magic? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL