The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Danger of Electrical Shocks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Hi!

I need to teach children, using magic tricks, the danger of electrical shock.

I've been looking for ideas, But I can't find any good.

How do I say to children, with magic, that electricity could be very dangerous?

Kindest Regards,

Alejandro.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
You could use Making Sparks from Sylvester the Jester as part of the routine. Don't make the show too dry. Make sure there is some comedy. You could also use props like the magic light bulb that lights in your hand. As for patter, you can say stuff like because you are a magician that the electricity doesn't hurt you (cue Makin Sparks) and they say you forgot the magic words. Then light the light bulb...

Hope this helps a bit.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There are also ways like the flash pot which can show the power of electricity and the explosion of a single strand of wire.

As a fire fighter, the best impression of the danger of electricity, was when a public service trainer brought in a small street model of telephone poles and "hot dog" people. When the hot dog crosses the wires it cooked, sprited, and burned like people would if they touched the wires.

This can be easily converted to show the dangers of electrical sockets, etc.

PS. you can even eat the hot dogs for a little comedy. PLEASE have a switched unit with a light-buld to let you know the unit is on before you take off that hot dog!
Dennis Michael
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
I think one of he most important things is to make children understand that Electricity is very powerful and some combinations, like Electricity + Water, Electricity + No-Shoes is very dangerous.

How to teach this with magic.......I really don't know.

What do you think?

Regards,

Alejandro.
SteveFowkes
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
35 Posts

Profile of SteveFowkes
I'm probably in the minority here and I honestly don't mean to be a killjoy but here are my views.

I don't think that teaching kids about electricity would be such a good idea in the form of entertainment. A magician who can do whatever trick he chooses and doesn't get a shock by the power of magic is almost like saying that electricity is selective in its lethality. Nothing can be further from the truth.
One of the joys of magic is the knowledge that any given audience will try to repeat your act but to no avail. I wouldn't like to think that any kids would try to replicate any electrical trick.

Perhaps a better angle on it could be do demonstrate that electricity IS magic. You cannot see it until it works. But treat it wrong, and it will bite. A standard physics demonstration could then follow to demonstrate the lethal force of electricity if abused.

DenDowh's telegraph poles and hot dogs strikes me as a superb apparatus to get this point accross particularly well.
The world is a wonderful place.
Let's make it more so.
Steve
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
I must concur with Steve.
The little ones and some of the adults will try to mimic your actions.

But in answering your question.

You can use a shocking pen to demonstrate how a teeny tiny little AAA battery can hurt so much and explain to them that home electricity is thousands of times stronger and will really really hurt you.

However

If this is a long-term project of repeat shows I would build the shock gimmick myself onto a display board starting with a (AAA) battery for the first little shock.

Next use a (AA) battery for a little more buzz.

Third go to a C size battery, which I doubt they will be willing to try.

And finally a D size battery, which I’m sure they won’t go near.

I think they’ll get the point,

But before the opinionarys come down on my post, let me say that you should use slightly drained batteries that won't hurt too much.

I think they’ll get the point,

HowDini
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Quote:
On 2005-08-06 08:44, SteveFowkes wrote:

...I don't think that teaching kids about electricity would be such a good idea in the form of entertainment. A magician who can do whatever trick he chooses and doesn't get a shock by the power of magic is almost like saying that electricity is selective in its lethality. Nothing can be further from the truth....

I'm preparing an Educational Program for schools and one of the topics is the danger of electricity. I need to make them conscious about the danger and strenght elecrticty possesses.

Alejandro.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Get the Red Hot Wire. It's a metal coil that visually appears to turn red hot. Good comedy/educational possibility.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
reaper
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of reaper
Alekei,
I have developed a program that promotes electrical safety. I work for an electrical cooperative, and we provide these shows to the local schools. I use sponge balls to describe how electricity is "made." I also use The Dream Bag to talk about how electricity gets to our houses, from the power plant to the meter, and how we can not see the electricity, but it is still there, and could be dangerous if we are not careful. PM me if you would like more information.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Danger of Electrical Shocks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL