The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Or my favorite...

"Yo... what tricks will get me some fine girls to go out with me?"
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Referring to "Expert at the Card Table", EACT, by the name of it's fictitious and obviously constructed pseudonym 'S. W. Erdnase' by the term "Erdnase", capitalizing such (not even a fictitious person folks, capitalization not required) and then writing about the intent of the person.

Even more appalling is when someone does gambling demonstrations and flourishes, as such demonstrates they have not understood the work they pretend to cite and the "author" they venerate. Come to think of it, that behavior gives a second meaning to the word venerate Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Jimtron, isn't questions what this forum is here for? I can see if they are asking question like teach me this trick but just general questions?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

It's cool schismatized.. he's taking a jibe at me as I often post using leading questions.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Gentleman:

I was poking fun at myself, because it's recently been pointed out that I ask a lot of questions and I seem to be annoying some people. I see nothing wrong with asking lots of questions, even when Jonathan does it! No jibe intended sir.

-Jim
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Touche!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Asking questions is one thing. Ignoring or being disrespectful to the answers one gets is entirely another. Smile
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Hi, I just built my own Zig-Zag this afternoon, but I have a problem that maybe you can solve. When you push out the middle, how do you keep the top part from falling down?
Yours Truly,
The Magnificent Naiveiniiniini"

(based on a true story)

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
If you wanna lose respect in the Café start posts sayng how to lose respect Smile eh eh eh Smile lol

or how do you do htis? I don't want the meythod.. just say how its done... come on.. Ill be your best friend Smile
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 11:29, Tom Cutts wrote:
Asking questions is one thing. Ignoring or being disrespectful to the answers one gets is entirely another. Smile

In view of the fact that this is my first visit, I think I'll just sit here and be very very quiet! Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-03 13:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Referring to "Expert at the Card Table", EACT, by the name of it's fictitious and obviously constructed pseudonym 'S. W. Erdnase' by the term "Erdnase", capitalizing such (not even a fictitious person folks, capitalization not required) and then writing about the intent of the person.

I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 22:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I've got my bizarre act all ready and I have this great idea for a card trick. Has anyone tried turning over two cards at the same time? They are thin and I bet you could get away with it. Has this been done? I want to make sure before I put this revolutionary concept on my next DVD.

I heard Penguin are planning on releasing this on DVD for $49.99 - it's called the 'Twin Lift'. It's an exclusive. Oh, and the music is way cool.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Arguing forever and ever on what is better, or where origination starts. Magicians being rude to new guys and complaining when a question is re asked from time to time. Those people really lose my respect.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-06 15:37, Bill Palmer wrote:...I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

Persi is smart enough to know the difference between calling it "erdnase" and "Erdnase"=author. For the young... cite the text all you like, and do read the text, it's rich in content. HOWEVER, it does not serve to presume upon "author" of the text. In this case the textual method of psychoanalysis is not directly applicable.

Performing flourishes and gambling demonstrations in conjuring context usually demonstrates how well folks have read the erdnase text. Sadly, those who fawn over the memory of Vernon have glommed onto the reputation of the text while missing its contents. Our Magic can help remind the student that magic is diminished by demonstrations suggesting any juggling or secret facility in manipulating the props.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Who started this stupid thread, what a freaking moron

Just kidding, was that one on the list.

Hahah, just a joke guys, this is a good topic
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Ah what the heck, I'll tip the "Erdnase" issue.

You are supposed to be a magician. When you refer to an author not in evidence, you are speaking of a thing the way laymen speak of magic. Hence the instant loss of respect by those who clearly understand that there is no Erdnase person. Got it?
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
Quote:
I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep?

Fredd
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:
Quote:

Fredd

Read the introduction to Snotalever by Nonrev, and you will know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I'm guessing..but should that read..Snoitalever ?

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL