We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First step to getting into mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Attitude
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Attitude
Can someone please tell me what's the first step of getting into mentalism?

Any books, video or DVD someone dying to learn mentalism should get?
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
For many it is:

"Step One in Corinda's Series: - Thirteen steps to mentalism"

Others may also add that it is a good idea to get a strong performance background in something other than mentalism before you start, as mentalism requires this of you.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Learn a few mental effects with cards. That will get you started, and by the way there are some good ones.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
For a magician turning over to mentalism, I would say the most difficult thing - and something that you should probably start with - is to get to understand the differences between magic and mentalism. Not technical or methodological differences. Rather, attitudes of the mentalist and the different mind set of the participants compared to when they experience magic.

Actually, the best source for reflections and theory on this is probably... right here. Dig through the archives, searching for debates regarding e.g. "Mentalism vs Mental Magic", "Spectators believing" etc etc. (Currently the thread "Performance Impact..." deals with this)

For methods and effects, see all the earlier threads on recommended books etc for beginners. (We've gone through that soo many times, even just a few days ago, so let's not do it again. Just search the archives for "beginners books" etc etc.)
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Matias said it right, attitude is a big difference...
One of the good sources on that "attitude difference" (and a good source of tricks too) is the Lee Earle's video series "Best of Syzygy's", or the "Desert Brainstorm" video series.
Lots of good material and some good advice regarding how to present mentalism vs traditional magic.
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
You also might want to get Lee Earle's "Money Making Mentalism" set of audio tapes. He discusses the different mindset between magicians and mentlaists.
They are avalible on Lee earle's website.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
I'll chime in with my usual recommendation: First Corinda, then _Magic_and_showmanship_ by Henning Nelms. It's the clearest explanation I've read about how to present "Realistic Illusions" -his term- effects that can convince an audience that what they are seeing is real.
I'll go so far as to say that when I was reading "Pure Effect" I kept thinking that Nelms said a lot of this first, clearest, and with a lot less iconoclasm. (I still wouldn't part with my copy of "Pure Effect", though.)
Regards,
Victor
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Magic & Showmanship is an amazing asset for anyone who performs mentalism or magic.

And like Victor, almost says, I'm sure Mr Brown has also read and this book and taken note of it's wonderful advice.

Socrates

'Rules and models destory genius and art' - William Hazlitt Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First step to getting into mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL