The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » which one is better (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wu tang
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
54 Posts

Profile of wu tang
I want to get a torn and restored card video but I'm not sure which one to get..."ripped and restored" or "torn."
I'd appreciate if someone could help me out on this.
Thanx
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Ripped and restored is good, but I don't know of the routine that is just called "Torn."

But I think it depends on what kind of torn and restored routine you want.

Warped and Restored by Vinny Marini (vinsmagic) is great, but I don't know how you would get a copy these days. Vinny was practically giving them away at $4 each. It is really slick. Only one card is used. This is one that is better than it sounds. And it sounds pretty good Smile

But then there is Torched and Restored by Braun, which is very nice, and the John Lovick's torn and restored one piece at a time called "Reparation" is excellent.

Sankey's cardboard contortionist is another I like. And the list goes on and on.

I thought I was on a quest for the best torn and restored. But instead I find that each torn and restored routine has its time and place. So as time permits, learn a couple of them. That way you won't have to "only do it when" everything is right. You will have more flexibility. You may end up with a favorite that you mostly use, but I do a lot of magic in a lot of different surroundings, and use the T&R that best fits.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Wu tang,

If you have not already bought "Ripped & Restored" video, I strongly suggest you to buy "Torn" video by Daniel Garcia.

Although, it looks similar but in some part of the routine, Daniel's handling is better than Yves.

Hope this helps, Smile

Hengky
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I second a vote for Daniel's "Torn". He talks about what inspired him and how he put together his effect. The restoration is what is so special. Very clever indeed.

Vinny's tape is awesome!!! His handling has some nice touches with the warping effects and is so devious. Vinny asked for feedback , and there was a long post with some good ideas for making the trick even better. This tape is a true underground classic! We are lucky that Vinny shared this with us all. Get a copy if you can, and let your creative juices flow.

I'm going to get "Torched and Restored" next, by Brent Braun.
Drive Carefully
Magnus
View Profile
New user
Brazil
52 Posts

Profile of Magnus
I have John Lovick's "Reparation". All I can say is that it's great! It takes some time to master, but is worth the effort.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Guy Hollingworth's "Reparation" video is reputed to be very good, but it's almost impossible to get hold of.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of towledge
Ripped and Restored video actually includes 3 variations of performing what is a much easier to master handling than Guy Hollingworth's excellent Reformation. One of these is a "mismade" card..a cardwarp type effect that instantly restores to "normal" card.
Mutusnomen
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Mutusnomen
I just got Daniel Garcia's "Torn" video last weekend and it's pretty slick. It'll take about an hour to get the hang of it, but once you do it's just a matter of practice.

I didn't really like Daniel's manner of presentaion, but the trick is astounding and well worth the price. What I love about it most is that everything seems so fair. The pieces restore right before your eyes, without all the "cover moves" that many other routines require.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-10-24 23:55, BroDavid wrote:

Sankey's cardboard contortionist is another I like. And the list goes on and on.
Right on!

It might not be the "latest and greatest", but it has a lot going for it.

Very very visual, no gaffs, and the cards can both be signed.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
wu tang
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
54 Posts

Profile of wu tang
I just finished watching a demo of "Torn" by Daniel Garcia. It looks amazing. Everything looks so fair and clean.
Looks like I'm gonna get it. If you haven't seen the video demo, I strongly suggest you watch it at magicsmith.com.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I notice that no one has mentioned J.C. Wagner's torn and restored version that originally appeared in his book (7 Secrets?) and which he later showed on one of his videos.

Any reason for not including JC's version in this discussion? Too long ago? Too old "hat"? Too impractical? Can't do totally surrounded?

I liked JC's routine a lot and I'm going to relearn it. It's the kind of card magic that I like to do (using the card in an "incidental" way not related to or associated with a normal card trick).

Card Warp is another example of this "use" of cards in a "non-card" way.

Another example? As a transition after a "real" card trick, I also like performing a matrix routine using 4 coins and 4 cards. But there again you are using the cards as cover and not really as an end in themselves--unless you also take the 4 chosen cards/indifferent cards and turn them into 4 Aces at the end (or you take the spectator's chosen card and 3 indifferent cards and, after the matrix is done, you turn the 4 cards over to reveal that the 3 indifferent cards have turned into the other 3 cards similar to the spectator's card. i.e., the 4 eights, the 4 tens, etc.).

Anyway, back to the J.C.Wagner routine. Is anybody doing this routine anymore?

Just my $00.02 worth.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Well, here I go again...

I would like to humbly submit my interpretation of the T&R Card plot simply titled, Fusion.

It is very, very easy to do and has numerous handling finesses that make it extremely deceptive. It has both the 'covered' restoration handling and the 'visual' no cover restorations handling included.

You can also, if you wish, completely restore the card, creases, signature and all.

Check it out at http://www.hocus-pocus.com

Later,

Sean
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
If you are willing to put in the time and practice, Guy Hollingworth's "The Reformation" is still far and away the best. A full description can be found in his book "Drawing Room Deceptions." All the knock-off versions require a certain amount of time and practice to do well anyway, so why not just put in the effort and go with Guy's?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
I would suggest The "Torn" video by Daniel Garcia. IMO this is the best version arround. For me, this tape is worth gold.

You also might want to check out Sean Fields' "Fusion" (it is good also). Maybe you can make a combination with the creases restoration idea from Fusion added to "Torn."

Take care,

Peter Eggink
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Quote:
On 2003-02-25 17:24, Turk wrote:
I notice that no one has mentioned J.C. Wagner's torn and restored version that originally appeared in his book (7 Secrets?) and which he later showed on one of his videos.

Any reason for not including JC's version in this discussion? Too long ago? Too old "hat"? Too impractical? Can't do totally surrounded?

I liked JC's routine a lot and I'm going to relearn it. It's the kind of card magic that I like to do (using the card in an "incidental" way not related to or associated with a normal card trick).

Card Warp is another example of this "use" of cards in a "non-card" way.

Another example? As a transition after a "real" card trick, I also like performing a matrix routine using 4 coins and 4 cards. But there again you are using the cards as cover and not really as an end in themselves--unless you also take the 4 chosen cards/indifferent cards and turn them into 4 Aces at the end (or you take the spectator's chosen card and 3 indifferent cards and, after the matrix is done, you turn the 4 cards over to reveal that the 3 indifferent cards have turned into the other 3 cards similar to the spectator's card. i.e., the 4 eights, the 4 tens, etc.).

Anyway, back to the J.C.Wagner routine. Is anybody doing this routine anymore?

Just my $00.02 worth.

Turk

yes, i still doing it. i combine it with what i have learn in torn, & it is very clean and slove all my angles problem. i loke torn a lot, but the restortation of the 3rd piece was very 'odd' & angles must be watched out, but combining bits & parts from jc & torn, has solved all my problems.
never try, never know
JustAnotherMagi
View Profile
New user
Oak Canyon
79 Posts

Profile of JustAnotherMagi
Quote:
On 2002-10-25 14:00, Alan Jackson wrote:
Guy Hollingworth's "Reparation" video is reputed to be very good, but it's almost impossible to get hold of.

That is incorrect. Guy Hollingworth's T and R Card is called "The Reformation" and John Lovick's is the "Reparation." Personally I like the Reparation the best. It is a lot of fun to do. John just came out with a new manuscript that fixes the flaws of the original "Reparation." I thought "Torn" was the best out there until the new manuscript on the Reparation. As Bro. David mentioned. I have seen Vinny do Warped and Restored in person and it is awesome!!!!! It is really cool. I got fooled by a few of the phases. Think of it this way...a torn and restored card with several magic effects in the one routine. I love it!!! Oh and by the way, the new Reparation manuscript is called "Reparation Redux." Take care guys.

Ron
"I am the best magician ever..."
-The Conceited Part of My Mind
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
it seems easier to just NOT tear a card in the first place !!!!!!....Smile)))))))))).....( just kiddin of course!!!! )... Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26991 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
any chance of letting a spectator tear up a card and then proceeding?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Jon,

I agree that Vinny's Warped and Restored card is an awesome effect. Done with a single UNPREPARED card; totally impromptu; mixes the best of Card Warp with a torn and restored card effect--and it is DY-NO-MITE if you take the time to learn it properly.

I suggested a patter line to Vinny that I plan on using and he thought it was quite good.

Vinny plans on marketing the effect either singly or in a compilation manuscript being written by a magician friend of his. I'd recommend that all magicians be on the lookout for this effect. It is worth the wait and the effort needed to learn this effect properly.

Turk

P.S. Vinny is vinsmagic here on Magic Café.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » which one is better (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL