The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito coin boxes- Do they look too much like a prop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic333
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magic333
I was wondering what are some thoughts about the okito box looking too much like a prop? This box is akin to a pill box. However, many young adults think it is a magic gaffed box and many suspect the box does all the work. I personally enjoy using the box, although the suspicion keeps me using the regular box as compared to the boston, etc.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Depends on what you carry in the box.

like the cups for cups and balls, if you can USE them, they are accepted.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris_
View Profile
New user
Illinois
25 Posts

Profile of Chris_
The box does look like a prop. It smacks of the plastic shell props everyone finds in the "101 Magic Ticks" box o' tricks you had as a kid. It is something the audience desires to inspect to ease the doubting voice in their head.

Chris
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? - Mark 8:36

www.needgod.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I use both. I start my routine with the okito box and then swap it out for the final sequence which is four coins through the hand. I let the specs examine the box at the start of the routine. I start it out with, "Would you look at this? Isn't this just the cutest thing in the world?"
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
It came from the real world! Okito found A pill box His Parter Keep his pills in!
And found that the top also fit on the botton! And then he showed it to him makeing
The pills vanish From the box A fooled him! Smile! When I do it for layman I keep some cotton in it And Say "it was A pill box Given to me By my great grandad! Back then they made stuff that lasts!!! "

Best David Neighbors
The coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
David, you use a cardboard pill/powder tube from the 1940s? Cool!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Ha-Ha!:)! That My patter Line! But It's Based on A Real would Story!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The O Box also looks like a logical container for radioactive substances, especially the really thick models. So perhaps you've got change from the pocket of one of the original US nuclear test subjects, or an engineer from Three Mile Island. You keep the coins in a metal box to protect future generations of, well, you. But you take the coins out from time to time to experiment with their odd properties, or when you need a nightlight, or want to defrost a microwave dinner.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Curtis, don't be holding back on your rainbow silk streamer idea. Smile
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
In all honesty - I love the prop and would love to use it but yes it will get called... so the effect must be killer...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Larry, the rainbow silk streamer idea is never to be spoken of. In fact, in order to protect the idea, I have forgotten it myself, as I cannot be trusted. In short, HuH? Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
In David Roth's Expert Coin Magic it states that David calls it(Okito box) a magic box,and then proves it.Does it really matter?The audience can inspect it after and before the routine,so I don't see any problem.
Andre
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Do you think that it might be possible that even after an audience examines the box, that they may merely think that they were unable to find the trick, as opposed to thinking that it is a completely normal cylindrical brass box with a lid?

;)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 21:55, Curtis Kam wrote:
Larry, the rainbow silk streamer idea is never to be spoken of. In fact, in order to protect the idea, I have forgotten it myself, as I cannot be trusted. In short, HuH? Smile

Curtis, Curtis, Curtis, I'm deeply saddened to learn of this age-related memory loss. I'm talking about myself! It turns out that it was Mike Powers' idea which he posted here. I absolutely love the idea as it makes the very existence of the box both "logical" and magical.

Larry
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 11:05, Magic333 wrote:
I was wondering what are some thoughts about the okito box looking too much like a prop? This box is akin to a pill box. However, many young adults think it is a magic gaffed box and many suspect the box does all the work. I personally enjoy using the box, although the suspicion keeps me using the regular box as compared to the boston, etc.

Yes it smacks of “prop”, so what.

If your routine ends with (or starts) with an examination of the box, it makes no difference.

Bob
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
As someone who uses the Okito box in walk around situations lets clearify one thing. Any thing you pull out of your pocket that is not a coin or a pen or paper or wallet or money is going to be considered suspicious. Normal people (and I mean that in the nicest of terms, those who are not magicians) don't carry cards with them everywhere they go either. So for someone to pull out a deck of cards out at a restaurant is a bit strange as well. If you have a logical reason or explanation for something than it becomes semi-normal.
I still like Chad Longs comments about the box. He would pull it out and lay it on the table then say... "This box holds rare and valuable coins." "I don't have any of those so I keep half dollars in it!"...
I love the Okito box and most of the people that I perform it for don't aplaud the box they are still applaudding me after I am done.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Remember it is just a box to carry your coins in. Don't get so annalitical(sp)

Have fun
Shaun R.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
When the okito box aparently passes through your hands, or the coins pass through your hands and the box is suddenly empty... that's magic. No one will credit the prop if you've created the magic. IMHO. Also, one of my favorite aspects of the okito box is it's utter simplicity and examinability. I think that adds to the mystery.

I once used patter similar patter to Curtis... I explained that the box was made from an exotic metal used in the space program called "Yittrium Alloy". I snuck this small box out of the magnetics lab at bell labs. Let me show you it's weired anti-matter properties.... etc.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It is one of those little odd props you can actually call what it is, a coin box. People seem to forgive magicians as being eccentric and having things that are kind of special. Call it a Chinese coin box or a collector display coin box. It implies they could have one too if they had an interest. I wouldn't call it a pill box since those have gone out of vogue and besides the lid does not fit snug enough to keep your pills from rolling all about.

I think if you bring your coins out in one to begin with and do other types of coin magic before bringing the box back into the magic, it seems more believeable than to take the coins from a purse, do some routines and then bring out the coin box and use it.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Wizardwannabe
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Wizardwannabe
I know one guy who when he brings out a box patters about how a hundred years ago they made pill boxes out of all sorts of things - ivory, tortoiseshell, alabaster, etc. And that he recently found this old pill box made out of brass in an antique shop. I don't know if anyone buys that but that's his line (justification) for introducing a coin box. He tells me no layman has ever challenged him on it.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
How much explaination do you need? I've used fancy explainations in the past, such as my yittrium box from the aerospace plant, but I usually introduce it as a "simple box", let the spectator take a good look at it, then let the games begin!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito coin boxes- Do they look too much like a prop? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL