The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito coin boxes- Do they look too much like a prop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 10:41, Mediocre the Great wrote:
How much explaination do you need? I've used fancy explainations in the past, such as my yittrium box from the aerospace plant, but I usually introduce it as a "simple box", let the spectator take a good look at it, then let the games begin!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 17:18, Curtis Kam wrote:
The O Box also looks like a logical container for radioactive substances, especially the really thick models. So perhaps you've got change from the pocket of one of the original US nuclear test subjects, or an engineer from Three Mile Island. You keep the coins in a metal box to protect future generations of, well, you. But you take the coins out from time to time to experiment with their odd properties, or when you need a nightlight, or want to defrost a microwave dinner.

They actually call those containers "pigs". Perhaps Todd, Jamie, or Joe could make a custom one out of lead or depleted uranium. Just be careful you don't drop it on someones's foot. Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yeah, it'd be great if as they examine the "pig", they think you're joking about the radiation, but their fingers start to tingle....
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DMSO + Cinnamon oil?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
...and then the payoff is that you take back the box and reveal that your fingertips have been blistered--in the shape of the selected card!
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
d2leo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of d2leo
I think it depends on how you use it. I don't think it looks too much like a prop.
Wizardwannabe
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Wizardwannabe
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 01:00, d2leo wrote:
I think it depends on how you use it. I don't think it looks too much like a prop.

I agree. It's a box, for cryin' out loud! People know what a box is and they CAN examine it. It doesn't need to be apologized for.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-12 20:43, Wizardwannabe wrote:...I agree. It's a box, for cryin' out loud! People know what a box is and they CAN examine it. It doesn't need to be apologized for.

Try carrying some coins in it for a while and see how well it serves. Lay audiences are not stupid. They know that THING is not so useful. If you need to explore what happens if you carry it full of coins in your pants or jacket pocket, go ahead. We can laugh about it later.
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 20:52, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 20:43, Wizardwannabe wrote:...I agree. It's a box, for cryin' out loud! People know what a box is and they CAN examine it. It doesn't need to be apologized for.

Try carrying some coins in it for a while and see how well it serves. Lay audiences are not stupid. They know that THING is not so useful. If you need to explore what happens if you carry it full of coins in your pants or jacket pocket, go ahead. We can laugh about it later.

LOL!!!! Smile I just put some coins in it and carried them around in my pocket. Heck, all the coins jiggle around and fall all over my pocket. This isn't very useful unless I take a rubber band and wrap up the box. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-13 22:37, love2laugh wrote:... all the coins jiggle around and fall all over my pocket. This isn't very useful unless I take a rubber band and wrap up the box. Smile

Thanks! It's heartwarming to know I'm not the only one who wound up with a jingling loose mess and some frustration about how to really carry coins in that box.

A rubber band might add to the effect... hmmmm... Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Al Schneider used to pack the coins in the box with cotton, like asprin. The removal of the cotton (and I believe a rubber band, as well) was part of the opening choreography of the effect. I believe he did this to address some of the concerns mentioned here. A couple of his routines are in "Al Schneider on Coins". Sorry, boys, that's a book.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 16:20, David Neighbors wrote:
Ha-Ha!:)! That My patter Line! But It's Based on A Real would Story!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer

I like that patter line David. Funny.

Especially since practically everything these days is disposable
but not priced accordingly. Am I the only one disgusted with
today's lack of quality in practically everything we buy?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I carry the box in my watch pocket, where it stays together beautifully. In it I have what amounts to my "Pocket Close Up Coin Kit". The box I use was specially made, for several reasons. It is deep enough to hold six coins, with a bit of room left over. It is also big enough in diameter to accomodate an english penny with a bit of slop. So, I can carry four halves, one english penny, one C/S and a shell, all in the Okito Box. This allows me to have everything I need for most of the routines I do all in one container. The excess room in depth and inside diameter allows me to do some moves that a tight box wouldn't allow. All of that information, and some additional features of the box that I haven't described here, may be made available soon. I am thinking of releasing the box and a book on it and the routines with the box and the coins I carry as a single item...

Best, PSC

P.S. I don't TELL the spectators anything about the box. I take it out to get the coins I need for a trick. It is obvious that it is the way I carry my coins. When I do the Okito Box work, they have plenty of opportunity to look at it. In fact, I've told them it's a special box! Let them look where they can't find anything, then they won't be looking where they should...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
When I bring out the box I say, "Here is an old box made by the P&L manufacturing company. They went out of business long ago." Then I say, "I use it to hold some unusual coins..."

It is a joke for magicians that the lay audience just accepts because they really don't care. But they like the trick I do with it. I don't even let them examine the box. They don't care about that either.

I thought about putting my routine on the market. Were I to do that I would use a small square wooden box that could easily fulfill the needs of the Okito principle. It could even be a bit rickity.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just FYI. Pill boxes of the vintage that Okito discovered the Okito box with were available not only in cardboard, but in thin metal, which we used to call "tin." Other things were packed in these containers as well -- cork grease for woodwind instruments, for one, and that classic "White Cloverine ® Brand Salve," for another.

I don't believe it is necessary to justify the box by calling it an "box like the one they keep radioactive waste in" or any other kind of BS like that. I also don't believe you need to let the spectator examine it. Handle it, yes, but examine, no. Examination slows down the performance.

The idea of taking things out of it is very good, though.

Don't put a rubber band around it, unless you like to polish metal a WHOLE LOT. Rubber bands contain sulfur, which will attack the metal and cause it to tarnish.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I have an Okito box and I'm considering getting an identical looking Boston Box. I have seen them sold as a matching set (might have had a third variety in the set as well?). I've also seen a product advertised called "Another Coin Box" but I'm not sure what the difference is or if it's that useful. Anyone familiar with these products? What do you recommend I purchase?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
967 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Viking sells a great Okito box set. It's perfectly weighted and beautifully made. Highly recommended!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I have an Okito box and I'm considering getting an identical looking Boston Box. I have seen them sold as a matching set (might have had a third variety in the set as well?).

That would be an O-Kort-O box set (by Milt Kort). You would do yourself a real favor by treating yourself to this...if only for the routine that comes with the set!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito coin boxes- Do they look too much like a prop? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL