The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ted Annemann (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Does anyone on these forums have any anecdotal information or biographical sketches of Ted Annemann? He was my primary reference in the field of mentalism when I 1st began to be interested in this sub-genre of magic, and I felt a certain kindred spirit to him.

Then I discovered that he commited suicide before a large gig, and I was a bit shocked... It's rough to realize that one's heros are all too human.

I am aware of the Max Abrams book. However that book is expensive and a little hard to come by. Web biographies or other (cheaper!) sources would be very helpful, if any such even exist.

thanks!
Gaddy
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Although Abrams book is expensive, it has all materials by Annemann. So it is not expensive.

Hideo Kato
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Hideo-
Sometimes cost truly does equal value, as in the case of this book!

My goal here is to find biographical information, as I'd really like to know what kind of person Mr. Annemann was.

My next step is to do a large scale search of the New York Times index on the name Ted Annemann, as I am aware that his stunts were often written about in that newspaper.

Thanks for your opinion, which I share!

Gaddy
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What kind of person he was... geeze... look up the story about the postcard he arranged to have delivered even though he was already dead. The guy was ... shall we say more concened about good magic than living a good life. No comment about his family values or if you would have wanted him as a dinner guest. Don't feel too bad, there are stories about Vernon too. Not all great conjurors are the most well adjusted people.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Ted Annemann authored one of my favorite sayings "The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not".
Have to agree Abrams book will give you the info you are looking for.You may want to look into The Jinx which contains many of Teds thoughts and ideas.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 23:28, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Not all great conjurors are the most well adjusted people.

Jonathan,
Have you been reading my mail? Smile
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Did he not make his suicide a puzzle as to how it was commited?
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Annemann's suicide was not a puzzle. Rubber bag over his head with a tube running to his gas stove. Body was discovered by his wife. He was 34. A real waste of talent.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
If I am not mistaken Ted's last name was Squires and he was adopted by his mothers 2nd husband who's name was Anneman and I also seem to remember he added the 2nd "n" to the name. I am not positive about this but seem to remember reading it somewhere, can anyone verify this ?
Rennie
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
Gaddy, there are not a lot of bio sketches out there that are of much help. The most important sketch would be found in the pages of the Jinx where Ted opined on a regular basis. To be honest with you, after reading all of Ted's commentary in the Jinx, I don't think I know the man any more than before. His commentary on the magic news of his day gives us his position on a lot of things, but I found that he wrote from an aloof position. Very seldom do we see the inner man, and when we do it seems that it is only in our periphery vision.

For instance, read the last few issues before his death. No hint of the hurt and pain that he must have been going through. If you were there, at that time, and had just finished reading what would be the final copy of the Jinx, you would probably be thinking, "What's this guy going to come up with next week?"

It strikes me that his personal life, he kept in one box (usually with a bottle of gin); his magic thinking, in another (which was burnt after his death); and his public persona was set on a pedestal and kept away from the other two. Yes, he gave us most of his magic, but how he came up with his ideas are mostly kept in that long gone box.

At least those are my views after reading his works and the sporadic and limited writings about him from those who knew him.

Perhaps the tribute to Ted in the Phoenix is the thing you are looking for, but I think you will walk away from that with little more than you have now, except for a few facts about his life.

I guess to this day he remains true to his advertising; he is still an enigma.

Good luck on your search.

Regards,

Brady
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Is ther any footage of him working? when did he die?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thanks for posting that link!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5361 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Granted, it's only two pages worth of information (and barely two FULL pages, at that) but there are two very INTERESTING pages regarding Annemann, particularly with regard to his suicide, in volume four of The Vernon Chronicles. Vernon was clearly not a big fan of Annemann's performing skills and believed that Annemann would agree with such an assessment (which, he surmised, had a great deal to do with his suicide just prior to a heavily publicized and considerably hyped performance). There's also a biographical footnote in the book, supporting Rennie's information (posted above). The footnote states that "Annemann was born in East Waverly, New York on February 22, 1907 and died January 12, 1942. His given name was Theodore John Squires, but he was adopted by Stanley Anneman. He added the second "n" in 1930. He started learning magic at fourteen and debuted at eighteen with the Doc Kries Medicine Show. He was a professional mentalist whose best publicity stunt was the Bullet Catching Trick. He founded and edited the Jinx magazine from 1934 to 1941 and wrote several books. A major collection of tricks from the Jinx appeared as Practical Mental Effects after his death. He committed suicide in 1942".
A second footnote in the book is an editor's note identifying a book titled Monster Midway by William Gresham as an additional resource of information regarding Annemann's suicide.

The Abrams book is at the top of my wish list. I have heard nothing but raves about the material it contains. Kato-san put it best: (paraphrased...) Although it is expensive, it is not expensive.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The Abrams book is fantastic. And for the info inside, I must say it is NOT expensive..
Rennie
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I 1st heard of Annemann as a kid of all places in 50 tricks with a TT about 25 years ago.Ive been hooked ever since and its what turned me to mentalism.

Jason
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Please refer to : http://www.mental-list.com/blog/?m=200512. You will enjoy this.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Annemann was an interesting fellow. His name crops up frequently in David Ben's book about Dai Vernon. Ted was not liked as much by all the guys as we might think.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Years ago, there was an old magician in Baltimore who performed under the stage name "Dantini."
He had a regular nightly gig at the Peabody Book Store Café.
One night I was sitting with him in the Café having coffee, and he told me that Annemann had committed suicide because his wife had taken up with another man, he was in deep financial trouble, and he was having trouble preparing for a tour he had booked because he had dental problems he could not afford to have fixed.
I don't have any way to verify any of this, it's just a story an old magician passed along to me, but it would be interesting to find out if any or all of it was accurate.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Refer to http://www.mental-list.com/blog/?m=200512. And then you will be able to see more about Annemann from that point on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ted Annemann (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL