The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Magician And The Cardsharp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Has anyone here read it?

If so, what's your impression?
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
In the middle of it now...I like it so far.

Planning on posting a review when finished.
dragonchaos91
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of dragonchaos91
Bought it but havent started it yet, still finishing up the Glorious Deception.(which is by the way a great book)
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I'm reading it now, & it's certainly an enjoyable read but I'm not sure how much stock I put into the nitty gritty details. I need to read the final section on the notes, bibliography etc before I decide how much I believe it all. What is interesting is that soon magicians will talk about every detail in this book as if it is absolutely what happened, without question. It'll be the "truth".

It would make a good movie - for magicians and cardsharps...
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Hey Guys,

Anyone finish it yet? I just picked it up today. Looking foward to reading it. Let me know your thoughts. If you have any.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I received mine in the mail this weekend; I haven't started reading it but am also looking forward to it!

I am also interested in what people this about it being available in mass market bookstores? I repeat that I haven't stared reading it yet but are there things in the book that we wouldn't want laypeople to read???
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't know Mark. I picked it up at Barnes and Noble in Mayfair. It was in a rack with all sorts of Magic books. All the typical bookstore stuff, including I believe the Mark Wilson "Cyclopedia" and a ton of card trick books.

I don't think it's a big deal. I haven't read it yet either, but I'd be surprised if theres much in there that would hurt either the magician or the cardsharp.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

I think that there isn't a tonne of "secret" info in this book, and also, never underestimate the power of laziness when it comes to preserving secrets. Most folks wouldn't pour through some big book just to discover a tidbit or two of info - heck most folks won't even get up to change the channel on their TV.
tjo'
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
228 Posts

Profile of phase27
I just picked up a copy this weekend and like it so far. I think anyone who loves cards will enjoy this book. I don't know if anyone else saw this but David Blaine acutally did a review for this book in a recent Entertainment Weekly and gave it a A+.
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
This book was great! The book not only tells a great story, but also gives a biography of the Professor. Even if the "nitty gritty" details aren't all correct, the story is still very enjoyable. I really enjoyed this book and I'm sure all of you wil enjoy it as well.
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
As a writer myself, I am loathe to criticize other writers, but I found the prose in this a little clumsy, and I was often aware that it was a magazine article that had been expanded into a book. That said, it's a fascinating topic, there are some lovely moments, and the author's heartfelt passion for his subject comes across. I don't know whether I would reccomend it to a non-magician, but for anyone who loves magic it's a no-brainer: great fun and worth reading.
Adam Green
New York, NY
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

I will add that I enjoyed the Notes section at the end a good deal too, where he reveals his source material, with some commentary.

I am in the process of reading vol 4 of the Vernon Chronicles books so I'm sure I'll recognize a lot of the stories - as I did from the Revelations videos.

I've heard tell that there is a Vernon bio in the works somewhere too...
tjo'
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1916 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Im lost here... what book?? and where?? thanks!

Jon
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Its called the magician and the cardsharp. Its about Dai Vernon's life and his "quest" to find the man who could perform the perfect center deal. It covers many great gamblers and magicians in that time period.

I have finished it, and it was a marvelous book. I love gambling sleights so it was very enjoyable to find out all about the origins of them. It was also a big treat to learn the center deal afterward from a fellow magician friend of mine. Its a wonderful read for magicians and non magicians alike. Highly recommend you all pick up a copy.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 19:40, iamslow wrote:
Im lost here... what book?? and where?? thanks!

Jon

Same here. I know Mr. Lorayne's routine. is this what that's about?
~Joe
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
The author was at the Castle last friday doing a book signing at the Dai Vernon Bash we had. I have heard good things from people who have read it. Remember the author is a news reporter in print media.

Kirk
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16129 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Space then final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise, her five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Beam me up Scotty!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
heck most folks won't even get up to change the channel on their TV.
Smile

What's a TV Channel??? Smile

I don't think anybody gets up to change the channel on the t.v. anymore. I'd be lost w/out my remote control.
Magic is a vanishing art.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 14:52, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
I'm reading it now, & it's certainly an enjoyable read but I'm not sure how much stock I put into the nitty gritty details. I need to read the final section on the notes, bibliography etc before I decide how much I believe it all. What is interesting is that soon magicians will talk about every detail in this book as if it is absolutely what happened, without question. It'll be the "truth".

It would make a good movie - for magicians and cardsharps...

Preferably Paul Newman will play The Professor?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3988 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Paul Newman would be too old - the story takes place well before the 70's or 80's! ;^)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Magician And The Cardsharp (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL