We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High gimmicks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I just received the gimmicks from Denny. I attempted to make the rope last night and failed miserably. When I twisted the rope to unlock the gimmick, they twisted inside the rope. A gentle tug and the gimmick came out of the rope on both sides. I followed the instructions that Bob gives on his DVD, but messed up somewhere. On the bright side, the ends of the rope that I have look really cool and are great for any type of routine that you do not cut the ends off. Can any one tell me what I did wrong? I used regular white school glue. Is there a different glue that I should use?
Thanks in advance.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Lou, the gimmicks should fit snugly in the rope ends to begin with. That is, there should be no wiggle.

To install the Tarbell gimmicks you first prepare the rope ends by coating/painting the inside of the ends with a bit of white glue (Tacky Glue is best). Now use a dowel the same diameter as the inside of the rope. Wrap wax paper around it (so the glue won’t stick to the dowel/pencil) and insert into the rope ends. Let dry. This stiffens the rope a bit and gives you a surface on which to glue the gimmick. When the glue dries and before you take the dowel out, trim the rope ends square and neat.

Now step two! You coat the gimmick with glue and insert it into the now stiff rope ends. Wrap the ends tightly (as tightly as you can) with thread or string (several wraps) and allow the whole mess to dry. When dry, take off the thread/string wrap. Viola! You should have nice tight gimmicks.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Harry,
Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try this week and let you know my success. Looks you're the only one on the forum with knowledge regarding these gimmicks.
Thanks again,
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Try a search Harry and others have discussed it before.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Harry,
Finally had time to insert the gimmicks according to your instructions. Worked perfectly. Thanks for all your help.
Lou
Billy Joel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High gimmicks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL