The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Hand in Animal Trap! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I want to learn this act very much so, but where to begin?
what type of trap?
how to rig it?
how do I do it?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
As everyone in this area of the Café will tell you, do not attempt this without personal instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. If someone posts an answer here, would you just do what they suggest? You could get hurt bad.

Yours,

Paul
Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
This is something I've been interested in for a while now. I first read about it in Harry Anderson's 'Wiseguy' years ago but didn't really want to try it with just the brief description he gives. Could anyone point me in the direction of other written sources to chase for initial research please?

Many thanks,
Martin Colclough.
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
Thanks TAIT, much appreciated.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The Abbott's Trap (and instructions) is just $25.
It is a real nice one all chromed up and it is a REAL Trap...NOT gimmicked in any way.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Thanks doug

Quote:
On 2005-08-08 07:16, drwilson wrote:
If someone posts an answer here, would you just do what they suggest? You could get hurt bad.

Yours,

Paul

Not quite, I would take ito consideration who the info was coming from, the validity ( spelled wrong?) of the info, and how much sense it made...also I relize the stunts that I do and want to learn how to do are dangerous, I made a choice long ago and I plan to stick with it!
Brett

When annealing the spring on the trap, should it be opened or closed...does it matter?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Both Shawn Dion and I do a flourish that Shawn discovered: After the trap is clamped on the hand (gasp #1), we then jerk the hand out of the trap's jaws without losing a finger (gasp #2).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There are all kinds of traps. The Abbott's Trap is a SPECIFIC Trap and a SPECIFIC size for a SPECIFIC purpose. No need to mess with this size at all...just understand the method. This SAME trap is available in country hardware stores where you can freak out the owner and have him calling his country lawyer. Smile

Other traps would need adjustment and knowing what you're doing.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

I worked briefly with an Oneida-Victor #2 (two springs), but went back to the #1-1/2 as the dual springs were a hassle to fool with.

Steve
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Hmmm ... I just bought a trap at the camping & hunting store and did it! All four fingers in together so the thing hits flat, and no problem. The traps are meant to do just that -- trap the animal, not cut it's leg off. Personally, I think the old, rusty thing looks far better than the shiny "magic" traps.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

I use an unplated trap that I bought at a surplus store and sprayed with clear Rustoleum to retard further rusting.

Steve
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I have heard of the Penn and Teller routine and the standard practice of getting your hand caught in the trap after some byplay. Are there any other routines that are commonly performed with the trap(s)? I am interested in putting this type of thing in my outdoor "sideshow" type performance, but would like to do more than just show the trap and eventually get my hand caught in it. Maybe removing items from the trap without springing it, only to eventually be caught, or maybe a Russian roulette routine with the trap, etc. Just looking for ideas in the event that there is something we haven't come up with. Also, what do most people do after being caught other than have a spectator take the trap off? That seems a little anticlimactic. Thanks
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is a wonderful stunt, and I have been doing it for years. Do not believe that it is totally pain-free, but it is not as bad as the audience is led to believe through showmanship, which is a must for this effect.

By the way, check out Harry Anderson's routine. It can be found in Wise Guy.

David Smile
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
I'd be interested in some ideas for this as well. My trap has been gathering dust because I can't think of a good way to use it in a show. I've been fidling with the idea of doing a 'pick a card' trick while clamped in a trap and after failing to find it, remove my hand from the trap and show their card.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
MagicJared

While looking for a prop in my bag I have a rat trap go off on my fingers.
Most kids enjoy this because I scream in pain (a 3 stooges type moment.)
I tell the audience that I am trying to catch a rat and later
I find the rat while trying to perform a different trick.
I use a victor rat trap that is gimmicked and uses caps to make the noise.
It is completely safe. I think I bought it from a joke shop on the Internet.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Animal Trap - to get FREE written tutorial of The Worlds Most Dangeours Card Trick or you have to do is subscribe to my news letter and blog. http://eepurl.com/hhaAE
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
Have used the Higley trapa a monte for several years now and love it. It is all that they say and more. instead of the pretsel, I use a cheap plastic ball point pen. the kind found in the dollar store usually ten for a buck. It's cheaper and the plastic (clear ones)just explode when the trap springs shut. I get them with red ink!!!

Thanks Doug
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Due to the amopunt of requests, the Traps-A-Monte-Mental routine is available again. $3 for the PDF.
Just pm me for the paypal address. ;-)
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sold to the guy in the UK! Im over to your site tomorrow Doug.

Good to see you are still around - hope your health is OK and you are doing OK?

Regards

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Hand in Animal Trap! (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL