The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I know how you did that!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with Jeff
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I had some kid this weekend that was smirking and nodding like he knew what was going on and of course he didn't.

When that happens, I tell everybody, "hey, you all need to pay attention like this kid/guy/gal is. He/she knows what's going on"

And then I perform Eddie Fechter's "That's It" or my version of card-to-card-box to that individual.

In both of those effects, it looks like the magician has made a mistake.

And you should see the look on their face when they "know" I've screwed up. What a great feeling to give the jerk all sorts of credit, get their ego flowing and then Wham!!! you nail them, oh, so politely.

That's about the last you'll hear from them during that performance.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-10-28 19:48, sethbek wrote:
I'm surprised no one suggested bopping them over the head with a mallet.

I used to do that.

Now, I just drop them through the trapdoor they're standing on into the pool full of sharks (with frickin' laser beams mounted on their heads).

:firedevil:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have to second what Allan said.
Perfect your work first of all.
You will often get someone trying to showoff for his/her friends. Especially kids in my experience.
Keep right on going!
Good luck!

Smile
Daniel Faith
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Some approaches you might want to try at the right time, keeping in mind that I used them only once I had decided that I didn't want to do kid shows anymore:

Kid: "It's in your hand!"

Mage: "Wanna bet a dollar? Really, you want me to stop the show to talk just to you, it'll cost a dollar."

This either dissuades the kid, or becomes a profitable running gag.

Kid: "I know how you did that!"

Mage: "....and your point is?" This works if the kid is old enough to realize that he really doesn't have a point, except to proclaim his superior intellect. Of course, this position is not embarrasing to some people's children.

Kid: "It didn't disappear, it's in your hand!"

Mage: "Great, now tell them there's no Santa Claus and no Tooth fairy, either."

Okay, so I never actually said that, exactly.

Comment that kids (ages 9 - 12) have laughed at, once you've made it clear that yelling out solutions is not really the point: "Cute kid. I'll bet he runs up to the front of movie theaters and yells, (melodramatically) 'Can't you see they're lying to us? Adam Sandler isn't really here, it's just his picture on the wall!'"

Enjoy at your own risk.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-10-29 11:50, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-10-28 19:48, sethbek wrote:
I'm suprised no one suggested bopping them over the head with a mallet.

I used to do that.

Now, I just drop them through the trapdoor they're standing on into the pool full of sharks (with frickin' laser beams mounted on their heads).

Here is the picture to go with the quote...

Click to visit:
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2002-10-27 01:00, CSStanton wrote:
Just a few days ago, I was playing with a deck and some coins with some of my friends. I decided to show a gal I didn't know at all a coin bit and she looked like she was some godly creature, muttering 'I've seen that' and 'I've seen better'. So, I polietley told her that I really wasnt the best around, put my coins in my pockets and ordered a Coke. A buddy of mine asked me to do 'The Coin that Falls Up', so I did it. She again butted in, saying 'she'd seen better'. I was at the tip of my frusteration. The time was perfect, so I said 'Me too'. She looked at me puzzled, then realized that I was talking about how she looked. That was the last I saw of her.
Haha.
Maybe not the best idea for everyone. Try it sometime, very funny.
-Casey
There's not much else to do with a jerk who insists on butting in. She probably started her day with a heaping bowl of "B*tch Flakes", for breakfast.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2002-10-29 11:50, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I used to do that.

Hey Philemon ,

Do you have lecture notes for that one? I'm interested. PM me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
No lecture notes yet...

But I will hopefully soon be coming out with my monograph entitled, "Dr. Evil's Kiddie Magic Show," that will include the laser beam shark effect, the Fraidy Cat Fat B*st*rd, a special version of a Jeff McBride effect (now entitled "Mojo Risin'"), plus many others inspired by the Austin Powers(tm) movies. Right now, I'm just waiting for the requisite permission from Mike Myers.

I will also include a bonus chapter on how to transform Tenyo magic tricks into lethal weapons for world domination.

Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Wonderful thread on audience management. This topic is addressed much too little. Where may I find more concepts on the art of performing for the "guesser" and the "antagonist" to the performance of magic? These people are not all hecklers and some are nothings but hecklers.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Even the best pianists in the world will hit a wrong note once in a while…However, when a musician makes a small mistake, people don't shout “he hit the wrong note!”. Magic is different from most of the performing arts in that respect, and we have to know how to deal with it. There are three basic kinds of gotcha’s.

1) You really do screw up. (your caught red handed)
2) They’re wise to some of our techniques catch (or even suspect) a move.
3) They just THINK they know how it’s done but they don’t. (kids are good at this)

Recently I had a young lady tell me she knew how a card trick was done because she saw the masked magician explain it on TV - which is ridiculous because the masked magician never explained this particular trick – she probably remembered something like it. Anyway, I moved on without making a big deal of her comment. By the time the show was over, I had totally blown her away. She shook her head, saying “I have no idea how you did that… but I’m going to look it up on the internet and find out”. I told her good luck, and cautioned her that it’s not as easy as it looks. He sister apologized for her.

When dealing with this type of heckling There are four things you can do:

1) Learn from it and make sure it doesn’t happen again (for those times when you really screw up.)
2) have a snappy come back and move on.
3) ignore it and move on.
4) set them up for catching you again but playfully prove them wrong.

When I do respond, I always try to be respectful and playful as possible.

Bottom line, at the end of your show, you will be judged by the preponderance of your ability to mystify and entertain. If your act is solid, any glitches will fade as a distant memory, if they remember them at all.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Some responses you can use. (Kid) I know how yoy do that! (You) So do I. (Kid) I can do that! (You) Yes, but they pay me to do it.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2951 Posts

Profile of fonda57
If someone says, "I know how you did that," I would walk over to him and say, in a stage whisper, "so do I but we're not going to tell anyone, right?" I would never argue with anyone in an audience.
On a semi unrelated note: I saw George Carlin in concert just a year or so before he passed on, and a guy in the audience kept shouting, "talk about Bush!" Carlin ignored him the first few times, but then he'd had enough. The guy shouted it again and Carlin looked at him and yelled, "!@#$ you!" The crowd cheered loudly.
I j
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Wish I could get away with Carlin's method!

What are other good lines to use when performing one-on-one. When performing one-on-one the dynamics of interpersonal communication change: no longer do you have peer pressure working for you, etc. etc. etc. Inhibitions of the spectator are not as pronounced.

And when someone just guesses the right method? I have had spectators say they didn't see anything, but they just guessed the solution.

I do love the line,"if I say you are wrong then you will keep guessing, if you are right I will have to lie, so I will let you continue thinking what you are thinking!" Terrific line . . .
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've only had the opportunity to say what I really wanted to say once..... Thanksgiving at the folks house and after dinner my mom always wants to see something so I oblige. 2 years ago my brothers wife (Ivy league know it all) starts whispering to whoever will listen, "Oh, I know how he does that, etc." and without missing a beat I said (without really thinking), "Stu, we're done eating so re muzzle your wife"! It worked out well, it got a good chuckle (nervous but a chuckle non the less) and she and my brother haven't spoke to me since! Smile

I do not recommend this line for public consumption!

MMc
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2951 Posts

Profile of fonda57
One of my favorite lines is, "well, the smarter you are, the easier you are to fool."
I j
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
Quote:
On 2002-10-29 13:45, Curtis Kam wrote:
Some approaches you might want to try at the right time, keeping in mind that I used them only once I had decided that I didn't want to do kid shows anymore:

Kid: "It's in your hand!"

Mage: "Wanna bet a dollar? Really, you want me to stop the show to talk just to you, it'll cost a dollar."

This either dissuades the kid, or becomes a profitable running gag.

Kid: "I know how you did that!"

Mage: "....and your point is?" This works if the kid is old enough to realize that he really doesn't have a point, except to proclaim his superior intellect. Of course, this position is not embarrasing to some people's children.

Kid: "It didn't disappear, it's in your hand!"

Mage: "Great, now tell them there's no Santa Claus and no Tooth fairy, either."

Okay, so I never actually said that, exactly.

Comment that kids (ages 9 - 12) have laughed at, once you've made it clear that yelling out solutions is not really the point: "Cute kid. I'll bet he runs up to the front of movie theaters and yells, (melodramatically)'Can't you see they're lying to us? Adam Sandler isn't really here, it's just his picture on the wall!'"

Enjoy at your own risk.

Best Response Ever!!!
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Great responses and oh so helpful.

MickeyPainless: really funny and I will probably find a venue to work the line in my performances! lol Lets hope I don't find the venue! lol

I recall seeing David Copperfield in the theater and a spectator shouted out in the middle of his act, "if you are a real magician make me disappear." David replied, "where do you want to go . . . don't answer that!" Then continued with the show: brilliant.

There are also brilliant spectators who guess the solution and stumble upon the right solution. What are some additional ways to handle the "commentary-spectator" and the intelligent spectator when they spout out the solution?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
When you've done this long enough, it become real easy to shrug off these types of comments.

You're not God....mistakes happen. Sure, you feel bad...but you gotta learn to let it go...and fast. There's a whole roomful of people waiting to see you.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Your support is appreciated. I need to put in time working for different people, getting caught, learning from it, etc. etc. etc. Thanks again for the encouragement!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I know how you did that!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL