The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I know how you did that!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"I guess I can't interest you in joining my cult, then?"
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I thought Mediocre's advice was excellent. In music, covering over a mistake is called "playing through". In magic, just go on to the next trick or routine; and promise yourself to improve on the trick that burned.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Some people can't just enjoy magic, instead they experience it as some sort of test they must pass by trying their best to catch you. These are uptight folks mostly in one way or another and just can't relax. Smile When this has happened to me, since specs never know exactly which way you are going with an effect, I simply continue on and lead them down a different path where I leave them scratching their heads. And then I make sure not to ever again do a trick for such a person. There are people at my job that I have only done 1 trick for because they don't know how to simply enjoy magic and I have told some at times to not destroy the moment for others, after the experience. They are usually somewhat perplexed that they mistaked the magic for some sort of test or challenge. Anyway, it's easy enough to just move on from such pitfalls to the greater amounts of people that believe and welcome amazement. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Happened to me a week or so ago - took out the endless chain routine and proceeded to make a few £££'s in the process.
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Nicholas Spade
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Spade
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 07:11, Mb217 wrote:
Some people can't just enjoy magic, instead they experience it as some sort of test they must pass by trying their best to catch you. These are uptight folks mostly in one way or another and just can't relax. Smile When this has happened to me, since specs never know exactly which way you are going with an effect, I simply continue on and lead them down a different path where I leave them scratching their heads. And then I make sure not to ever again do a trick for such a person. There are people at my job that I have only done 1 trick for because they don't know how to simply enjoy magic and I have told some at times to not destroy the moment for others, after the experience. They are usually somewhat perplexed that they mistaked the magic for some sort of test or challenge. Anyway, it's easy enough to just move on from such pitfalls to the greater amounts of people that believe and welcome amazement. Smile

Dead on man, most people like to be entertained, but there are these types of people.
I ignore them, think it is the best way to deal with them. Especially if they have been drinking. Every time I get one of the these people the rest of the group I am performing for is just as annoyed as me.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yet another good reason not to drink. Anything that takes you out of your better sense of reality can't be good for you or others in most cases.

Pardon me while I digress...While saying that, we should also rid our world of smoking as it directly causes cancer and that arrogant, semi-suicide also affects others along the way. If our government wants to do something for us, this would be a great way to save people in spite of themselves. Believe me, when they come to their senses they'll thank you for it, sorta like kids when they gain perspective in life.

On another somewhat relative note, how funny is it to show magic to a guy that's been drinking and he absolutely is amazed by it. Smile The alcohol allows him to respond in ways he'd never respond ordinarily. These are great folks to work on your skills, as they miss nearly everything and you can learn from it. Smile It's sorta like taking candy from a baby except babies don't drink, right?...Or something like that. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Just pull a Joe Wilson...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
I performed a show for a Work Center for adults with developmental disabilities. As it was a picnic several of the staff had brought their 'normal' teenage kids. I was working at a lot of spectator involvement with a goal of having each of the sixteen clients involved, nd was pretty slow paced with lots of laugheter in strange places. These teenagers began heckling quite loudly and destrying the fun. Finally one said, "Only a dummy would be fooled by this crap!" I was considering several responses when one of the clients -- a little girl of about 35 stood up and took one boys hand. She said very sincerely,

"I'm sorry you are not enjoying the magic. There is bus stop out front. I can show you." There was silence, then the boy grabbed aways his hand. "You will just miss your show then," and backed away. Another client chimed in, "the magic will be here when she gets back."

The kids left alone -- not having any fun.

as a side bar -- a local high school here in Knoxville just elected a girl with Downs Syndrome as Home Coming Queen.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
We are progressing aren't we funsway. Smile Glad to hear of your side bar here... Here in NJ recently they let a kid with the same challenges score a TD in a football game. After watching I felt like I had won something because in that we had all won something. That's real magic and perhaps God above is nodding his approval and knowing exactly how we did that. Smile

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
F.W. Thanks for the great story and smile.

Harris
I used to collect comic books, now I collect memories.(I still read the comics, except they are called graphic novels and cost a bit more than 12 cents.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I know how you did that!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL