The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Who here "loves" to practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I love magic.
I love to read new magic from books and to watch new magic on video.
I love to perform magic.
I love the feeling that comes to me when I amaze and entertain people.
Seeing magic performed in theatres and on the street absolutely delights me...

But I hate to practice.

Consequently, in reality, I perform very little because I only know a few effects well enough to meet a standard that I demand from myself. And this gives me no end of grief.

I have yet to find techniques that help me to enjoy the dirty work of learning and honing effects to perfection. The very idea of endless repitition of sleights and manipulations is enough to make me run in terror right to my PS2 and veg out in some mindless vicarious violence until I can work up the nerve to return to my study for another 15 minutes of practive.

Clearly this isn't the most effective way to excel in my chosen craft.

What to do? What to do......

Gaddy
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I love to practice. I have a deck of cards or coins in my hand at all times. Practice can get agrevating but keep at it. I probally practice about 8 hours out of the day. Give or take a couple hours. I don't think there is any thing wrong with leaving the practice to do something else, Some times magic can get frustrating. Good luck to you though.
Muggers
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Muggers
Pick one thing that you think looks cool. Work at it until you get it looking good, then show it to a friend, sibling and note their reaction. When you get that amazed, Wow, Cool, No Way reaction, you'll want it again and you'll leave GTA:San Adreas behind for a while longer to practice another trick. It's working for me, maybe it'll work for you too. Good luck.
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Have a deck of cards and a set of cois always at your pockets. Play with them (practice sleights) any time your hands are not busy with anything else. If you are watching TV, Vegging out in the couch, driving with someone, walking etc it is a good time for practice. This time is more like playing with the coins or deck. Once you see your skills improving you are going to want to devote more time to little by little. Afterwards devote one day to just practice and one day to reading or watch DVDs (try to watch the same stuff you are practicing and not new tricks. To much information does not help). Keep the balance. Have fun with it as you have fun with your PS2.

Joaquin
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
You can ofcourse also buy packet tricks, theyre easy to do mostly and have big shock factor;)
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
Unfortunatly, in today's society we want instant gradification.

Practice will seperate the serious from the less serious magician. The pay-off is well worth it.

Just my opinion,

Bill
pedrothegreat
View Profile
New user
Southampton - UK
50 Posts

Profile of pedrothegreat
Gaddy, I am of a similar(ish) mindset as you are. however I cannot say I 'hate' practice, just find it the least enjoyable part of magic. however I found that forcing myself to get past the totally inept part of learning a move to the point where I was nearly average is the worst part. this is also the shortest part (from my experience so far). once I have got to a stage where I can pull the move off to a nearly average level I find that sitting there practicing while watching t.v. or in a 5 minute break at work etc seems pretty effortless and barely requires much thought.

In short put up with the initial struggle then sit there practicing in your leisure. you will soon realise that you have become proficient at that move and be able to move on to the next struggle. its definately all worth it in the end Smile
pedrothegreat

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

don't have a magic website but i have a cool car styling website at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Bill, you said it simple and sweet.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
No pain no gain.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I love to practice. When people ask me when I'm performing for them, "when do you have time to practice"? I tell them, "I'm practing now".
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Smile The old adage "Practice makes perfect" is never too far out of my mind, even though attaining perfection takes a lifetime of practice and most of us mortals will pass away before achieving perfection. I love to practice and the fruit of practice is performance without conscious effort. A knife's edge is only as keen as you hone it. With use it becomes dull, but with a few strokes of a strop or stone, it becomes sharp once again. So it is with magic, learn to enjoy it by practicing it! Jcards01 said it best.

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I love practicing magic I always have a deck of cards on me and coins.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I love to practice. It consumes my time and reaps benefits. Learning has always been a favorite thing for me to do. Between the ropes, coins, balls, cards, rubberbands, silks, Cups & Balls, matches, etc. there is little room for bordom. Practice, it's the next best thing to performance.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
It's not practice to me, it's fun. I love it.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
dominik
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
143 Posts

Profile of dominik
I love to practice sleights for hours.
I am still afraid of performing for other people though... there is just so much on stake. What if - after so much work - the effect does not kill the audience?
Well I guess I have to get out into the real world an just do it.
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
Q. How do you get to Madison Square garden?

A. Practice!

Whoever said that, and in whatever context, had it right. In my (limited) experience of magic, whatever I and / or spectators get out of it is directly related to how much practice I've put in.

Nick
Nick
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I suppose I do myself no favors by enjoying mentalism so much. The type of "practice" one must do is very hands on and "real life"- the moves are easy, the hard part is making it look real. every time it is performed it is further practice- if that makes any sense...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
Sometimes I don't like to practise either but I just tell myself I have to if I want to become a professional some day(which I do). Think of all the benefits you will get from practising and then it will be easier to practise because you know you will get rewarded in the end when you get to share your magic with others. You can only get better with practise!
Fescue
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fescue
The first time I tried the classic coin palm it seemed to be a monstrous impossibility! I was advised to constantly practice, that with time it would come. When it started coming together I was amazed. Now I understand the concept of practice and that if I stick with my desire for proficiency anything is possible. I had to accept the fact that what I want to do is going to take effort, time, and discipline.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I have little time to practice, and that's in little chunks. I was having a real problem trying to decide what to practice in a given time slot, especially with the numerous things you learn as a beginner. Following some advice I read elsewhere on these forums, I took a retired deck of cards and started writing down each thing I need to practice, be it trick, routine or sleight.

Each time I'm ready to practice, I give the cards a shuffle and practice whatever I pick out. If you want to ensure that you eventually practice everything, you can remove the card, but I don't usually do that.

This avoids the situation where I've got so much to practice that I don't end up practicing anything.

This is working well for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Who here "loves" to practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL