The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Flipper adhesive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
869 Posts

Profile of scott0819
What should I use to hold my flipper coin together.
someone suggested I use rubber cement but that was just messy and did not adhere well.
what do you guys use?

thanks.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thin double sided tape (not Scotch) like that used for carpets works fine for me.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
869 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I guess I go to a hardware store for that?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
A hardware store should have it. Before applying it make sure the surfaces are free of grease and dry. Goo Gone works great for that. Alcohol will also work.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
869 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Thanks for the tips, larry.
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
Scotch make a very aggressive double-stick tape for industrial purposes. I've used it in the past but don't know the stock number. I purchased it at Home Depot, though.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
??? Mine uses rubber bands...
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
...magician's wax...

dug
Deckless Wonder
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Industrial strength carpet tape. I got a small supply from a friend who manufactures them but I don't know the best source. Perhaps you could email Jamie Schoolcraft and he would sell some?
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why not ask the person that made the coin for you???
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I have been using regular scotch brand double-stick tape for a couple of years, and even with heavy use, I have never had a problem. Just make sure that you clean off both surfaces before reapplying, apply it so that there are no wrinkles, and squeeze firmly to make sure that the surfaces are well mated. Both Todd Lassen and Jamie Schoolcraft use and recommend double stick tape for their flippers - it is dependable, simple, adds almost no thickness, and a roll will last a lifetime.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1962 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Jordini, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the part that adheres to the coin, not the part that flips.

I too use double stick tape.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
I have tried every kind of glue including crazy glue and none work well. The best thing mentioned is dbl side tape. Try it its cheap .

Jeff K
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1162 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Jamie recommends Scotch Double Stick tape for his flipper. It is important to distinguish though between the "temporary" double stick and "permanent" double stick. You need the permanent double stick.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 20:54, tbaer wrote:
Jordini, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the part that adheres to the coin, not the part that flips.

I too use double stick tape.

THANK YOU. I was wondering how the heck a flipper would work with rubber cement, or in fact any of the above mentioned items. Mine came assembled. The mystery is solved.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I've been lucky enough to be able to use magicians wax as well. What happens if the coin breaks while table hopping or strolling, and you're using double stick tape if you don't have anymore? You can't use the coin anymore that evening. However, you can easily scrape all the magicians wax from the dismantled flipper and reassemble the flipper and be as Slyvester the Jester says,"Back To Normal!!!!"

Or as Gary Kurtz says,"Returning me to my former affluence..."
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 17:39, billfromoregon wrote:
I have been using regular scotch brand double-stick tape for a couple of years, and even with heavy use, I have never had a problem. Just make sure that you clean off both surfaces before reapplying, apply it so that there are no wrinkles, and squeeze firmly to make sure that the surfaces are well mated.

YES... it is very important to clean the coin of all residue. Need to use a good solvent, then rinse thouroughly! A small but vital point!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use the regular Scotch double stick tape - nothing fancy. It holds together just fine! It takes very little time to open the flipper, replace the band and put it back together, if you have something to pry it open with.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Use the permanent 2 sided tape. It is stickier. There is also a 2 sided taped that is temporary and not as sticky.
The 2 sided tape works great for me and is the least trouble dealing with.
Daniel Faith
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17099 Posts

Profile of joseph
When my band broke, it took a while for me to realize that the pieces actually came apart....only after trying to place the new band into the groove was impossible ... Double sided tape it is.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Flipper adhesive (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL