The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Flipper adhesive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 16:31, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 20:54, tbaer wrote:
Jordini, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the part that adheres to the coin, not the part that flips.

I too use double stick tape.

THANK YOU. I was wondering how the heck a flipper would work with rubber cement, or in fact any of the above mentioned items. Mine came assembled. The mystery is solved.

Yours may have come assembled but if you use it with any degree of frequency it will soon need to be reassembled. Your post seems to indicate that you don't know how it's put together. You might want to learn how to take it apart and put it back together now rather than have to learn how to do it when you actually need the coin.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
771 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Mine broke a couple of days ago, and I had no wax, no tape, nothing... Only blu-tak. I tried, and it works as well...

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-10-30 08:41, Charlie Justice wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 16:31, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 20:54, tbaer wrote:
Jordini, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the part that adheres to the coin, not the part that flips.

I too use double stick tape.

THANK YOU. I was wondering how the heck a flipper would work with rubber cement, or in fact any of the above mentioned items. Mine came assembled. The mystery is solved.

Yours may have come assembled but if you use it with any degree of frequency it will soon need to be reassembled. Your post seems to indicate that you don't know how it's put together. You might want to learn how to take it apart and put it back together now rather than have to learn how to do it when you actually need the coin.

I was playing with it and it broke, so I tried to dismantle it, but the one part wouldn't come off, so I had to pry it out with a knife! (The coin is ok everyone). I swear it was on their with superglue or something of the sort. I haven't really started using it yet though, so it's still dis-assembled at the moment.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Re info on the flipper... *deja vue*.. Smile

I also once was curious to try diff. brands of wax/diff. hardness, stickiness aso, and it always failed..
Here is more re what I use, though the stuff might not be available anymore, but similar no doubt is.
One could contact 3M /Scotch and ask them for an equivalent/replacement for the 2 types mentioned:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3970879

and

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3866867

It also depends on the thickness of the Scotchtape recommended by the makers of those gaffs, their gaffs might be designed re the thickness to make the insert flush, it's easy to check, when your thumb runs over the dege of the [ and you can feel a sharp edge, then the glue is not thick enough.
Howvere the one recommended above I can use both for the Lassen and Schoolcraft flipper..
Works for me and is sticky like h*ll... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Conus
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of Conus
One word...wax
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-10-30 17:29, Conus wrote:
One word...wax
I wouldn't rely on it for a second..
I always play it safe!

Mind you, wax can and does alter it's state due to temperature, f.ex. when the coin is in your pocket in summertime. (So can the glue mentioned, but NEVER in any way that matters, it's NOT noticable it does change state, but theory tells it can)

I already mentioned I tried various types and brands of wax..they didn't at all stand the *test*...
I don't doubt some might be able to use wax..I'll NEVER rely on it..just a reminder to *really* test it before relying on it.

By this I mean, have the coin on your body in a purse all the time, summertime, wintertime and 'use' it under these conditions a couple of times..

When I did this, mine did split and *loosend* far to easy..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Conus
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of Conus
I learned about the benefits of wax from Garrett Thomas. I found bees' wax to be best - it is recommended that you give things a bit of a squeeze now and then.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13405 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wax.

Where I work in the summer, it would melt.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2887 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Todd Lassen recommends cleaning with Acetone. He provides a piece of very thin shim stock to get any old band out of the grooves. Todd uses thin Manco carpet tape. He advises that after putting the tape on the insert, you push down on the coin on a flat surface to further flatten the tape. Then the resist paper is removed and the insert is placed into the s****.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Flipper adhesive (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL