The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Complete Walton (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi folks,

I do not have much time to read "The Complete Walton's" volume 1 & 2 books. May I kindly know which effects are worth looking into or your favourites????

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply.

Best,
Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
ALL OF THEM!!!! No, I'm serious! Just take your time and go through them.

If time is limited, though, read chapter 1 of Volume 1, "The Devil's Playthings". There are a few true gems in there such as "Oil and Queens" and "Card Case". Also in Volume 1, in "That Certain Something", you'll find the classic "The Smiling Mule". In Volume 2, may I turn your attention to "Stage Shout", "The Return Of The Cannibals", "The Spread Half Pass" and "Four Card Brainwave".

Enjoy and good luck!

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
magicalec
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of magicalec
The Smiling Mule
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Study all of it. We are talking about the works of somebody who may just be the best cardman on the planet right now!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
The sleights are really valuable, If you want to learn the top cover pass or the half pass volume one is the book. My favorites are The Smiling Mule, Below Zero and The Image Makers.
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Andrew,

I also have a time problem at present. But I love these two volumes. As Jimmy says, 'Study them all'. Everytime I dip into them, I find another jem. Here are some of my current discoveries. From Volume One, Cannibal Cards, Smiling Mule, Instant Interchange, The Overworked Card, Card Case, Oil and Queens, Coincidence in Colour, Return of the Cannibals, You name it, I'll Change it. From Volume Two, Stage Shout, Ambitious 1,2,3,4, Collectors, The Arrangement, Isolator and Back in Time. These are a small selection of what is on offer. Good hunting.

Regards,

Paul H
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Yes, both volumes are FANTASTIC!!!! Study each effect since there is something to learn from each of them. I highly recommend spending all the time necessary to go through all of them. The effects listed above are AWESOME!!!!

L2L
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi Guys,

I would like to say a "Big" thank you to those of you guys who replied to my questions. Smile

I have a shortage of time to study these 2 volumes books, but I think I will bring them along with me as anyway. Smile

Yeah, I read a few pages of the card effects yesterday, without doubt, one of the best card magic books around. Should be owned by all card magicians.

I read the "coincidence of colour" on page 109, very nice effect.

Cheers,
Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
In Volume 2, there is an effect where half the deck is given to the spectator and half the deck is kept by the performer. They each shuffle their half and then deal their cards out. The colours match perfectly. Great effect.

Trevor
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Mostly the stuff between the two covers, open at a random page and you wont be disappointed.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Wow, just read the book, 4 card brainwave, just awesome piece of card magic.

There are so many gems here. So excited to read all the effects in these books! Smile

Andrew

Hi guys,

I tried out a few effects like Stage Shout (My Favourites!), The Collectors, Overworked card and Isolator, I am having some problem with the effect "Isolator", Walton explained on page 78, and it stated

"Give the pack an odd-pack faro", may I know what it means here????

Is it execute the perfect faro shuffle?????

Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
siborgotron
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of siborgotron
Someone may correct me here,but I'm sure an odd faro is simply shuffling the smaller packet into the larger..

I too am studying Mr.Waltons first volume and what a menu of treats!
In all honesty,my skills are limited,but not for want of learning.Here's the tricks I perform (so far)-Double discovery,Simple maths,the'Thing er me jig' trick.My favourite though is The overworked card..This is a trick which is regularly mentioned as being a favourite of cardworkers,and if you perform this,you will soon realise why!(I think it may be the open mouthed 'what the....?'expression from the spec!).
I always find in a book, there is at least one trick worth the price of the book itself,and to me this is it..(As I progress though,i'm sure I'll find more..)

cheers,Simon
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Spooky! What a weird coincidence. I bought Vol 1 yesterday and this thread pops up!

Only looked at "Oil and Queens" so far and liked it. But I like this thread, it'll guide me where to go next. Smile

RK
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Siborgotron

The "Odd Faro" that you mention is called a Stradle Faro.

And thanks for reminding me about The Overworked Card. How could I have forgotten that little beauty!

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Yes, Isolator, Stage Shout and Overworked card, these effects I enjoy performing them very much! Smile

Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
Start at the beginning of Vol.1, make notes of what you like, want to work on, initially to see what the item is like, etc. and stop at the end of vol.2. You will find a ton of great material. I use Smiling Mule successfully and would like to know the significance of its name(!), anyone know?
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
Chris Bristow
View Profile
New user
Warwick, Rhode Island
67 Posts

Profile of Chris Bristow
These books are definitley high up on my list of favorite books. Very High. Everything is fantastic. My favorite has to be Cannibal cards and a modified Jail Break using a second deal.
furhaan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of furhaan
I'm thinking of getting these books, but have a couple of questions:

1) Are the tricks mainly impromptu or is a lot of preparation required?
2) Do they require lots of difficult sleights?

I mainly like impromptu hard hitting effects.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
You are on the right track furhaan, most of the materials in this book are impromptu. Smile

Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
You could win a car on Instant Interchange. Absolutely amazing.

And one I loved for years had you dealing 'down and under' until the last obviously wrong card was left, and when they turned it over: Their card. I billed it as an automatic card trick that never failed, as it was failing thruout, until the last. It had to be the last trick of the set, tho. You couldn't top the response. A fun trick.

A most valuable set of books.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Complete Walton (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL