The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Past Magicians Vs. Present--Who's Better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
How would you rate magicians of the past with today's magicians? Is a comparison even possible? It's like asking who is a better home run hitter...Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds?

Vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Anthony
View Profile
New user
NYC
56 Posts

Profile of Anthony
I personally don't think that a comparison is possible. Present day magicians have the culmination of the past knowledge as well as the technology to present bigger and bigger effects. However, magicians from the past have their share of secrets that were taken to the grave. It is interesting to speculate about the past versus the present, but it will ultimately be a matter of opinion.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
-- Albert Einstein
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Anthony got it right with his answer.

There's a similar argument amongst musicians - is Hendrix as good as Joe Satriani etc. Bands like KISS are competent musicians but superlative entertainers, whilst Allan Holdsworth impresses the mind, but can't write a decent tune to save his life!

If we could see guys like Malini or Hofzinzer in their prime, we might be disappointed at their chops. Yet their skills with people are brilliant.

So what if today's magicians know 234 ways of palming a card. Malini knew one and entertained royalty. The underground guy knows 234 ways, but only impresses mom!

At the end of the day, it's whether we entertain the audience with quality magic!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The magicians may have changed.
But the audiences have changed more!
Does anyone really think that any audience today would sit and wait for two hours while someone got out of some form of restraint, as they did for Houdini?
Tommy Downs is known for coins today but he did mostly comedy; however, his patter was so timely (and, therefore, dated) that most of it doesn't even exist today! And today's audience would hoot anyone off the stage who tried to use it.
Plus the fact that closeup magic, as we know it today, was totally unknown 100 years ago.
It's truly a case of comparing apples and oranges!
Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Point taken. However, I think that the greats of yesteryear were great because they understood what the public wanted and they gave it to them. Therefore, I believe they would be just as successful today.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I agree with Scott . A magician of yesterday would be just as sucessful today, and maybe even more .I was very fortunate to see John Scarne, Bruce Elliot, Frank Garcia, and Dia Vernon. To the young people today, these greats are only names of the past. Without them we would not have the Ray Kosbys and Greg Wilsons, and the too many other young magicians to mention.........
vinny
Come check out my magic.

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 16:28, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
However, I think that the greats of yesteryear were great because they understood what the public wanted and they gave it to them. Therefore, I believe they would be just as successful today.

Agreed. It has always been the great arrogance of the living that attempts to compare what cannot be compared.

If da Vinci had a PC, perhaps his output would have been more substantial? Hardly Leonardo's fault he was born in 1452!
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
There are only a certain number of magicians alive today. They are greatly outnumbered by dead magicians, and we can't meet any future magicians- so to answer the question, the past magicians are better. Sure there are some great ones today- a couple of whom are regulars on the Café- but the following magicians are dead: Vernon, Marlo, Houdini, Cardini, Slydini, Goshman, Houdin, Blackstone,etc., etc., etc.
The answer is easy really.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Rodney Massey writes: "there are only a certain number of magicians alive today. They are greatly outnumbered by dead magicians."

I don't think so.

There are more people alive today than the aggregate of all who have ever lived and are now dead.

Extrapolating, the same would apply to magicians. Therefore, there are more magicians alive today than have ever lived.

Yes, the answer is easy -- but not for the reason mentioned!
Smile
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Peter, the key word here is Magician. Not hundreds of thousands of pesky pranksters down at the shop looking for "that one that David Blaine did on T.V."
This is a fun topic. I think that if most good magicians{including yourself} are asked, they will agree that more of the greats are deceased than living.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rodney, right on. Point well taken.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Good point, Rodney.
And I just LOVE the phrase "pesky pranksters".
Yes, given that, you are probably right.
Smile
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:

Extrapolating, the same would apply to magicians. Therefore, there are more magicians alive today than have ever lived.

Hello Peter,

Please name them.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Does anyone really think that any audience today would sit and wait for two hours while someone got out of some form of restraint, as they did for Houdini?

YES! I do. They waited two days to watch Blaine jump from a pole in a park. They waited three days to see him get out of a port-a-potty of ice. They waited a week to see him rise from his burial.

"If" they will watch has not changed. "What" they will watch and "how" they will watch it has changed. But don't go selling the old attention span short. No, No!

'Tis the intellect which requires greater stimulation. We are more "learned" in modern times. 'Tis the lazy artist who relies on quick, jarring, meaningless imagery to attract the intellect but, in the end, starve it of its desire...true, meaningful thought.

And as for comparing apples and oranges, it is time to put that fallacy to rest. Smile For enlightenment and a touch of merriment visit:
http://www.inno-vet.com/articles/1999/0599/52.htm

Enjoy
Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 22:34, RandyWakeman wrote:
[...]
If da Vinci had a PC, perhaps his output would have been more substantial? Hardly Leonardo's fault he was born in 1452!

No. For that, we must blame his parents; if only they had waited.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tom, you waited two days to see David Blaine jump off a tower. So how long would you have waited to see one of Houdini's escapes?
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I did no such thing, Vinny. The audience there did.

Point being, the standing around was some sort of drama to those who came to watch...just like Houdini's two hours of escaping from a straightjacket. But the attention span has lengthened not shortened. Smile
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Randy wrote:

"If da Vinci had a PC, perhaps his output would have been more substantial? Hardly Leonardo's fault he was born in 1452!"

I doubt it - especially if he was wasting time on magic bulletin boards! But I appreciate the point you're making, lol.

Someone made a point early on that, while today's underground guys know hundreds of ways to palm a card, the past masters may have known but a few. I think you'll find today that the same is generally true. The great magicians who work for real audiences also tend to use a limited range of moves. At least that's my observation. It's the dilettantes who work primarily for magician audiences who master a myriad of moves to make up for performance material.

Nothing wrong with that - just saying that I think there would be more similarities than differences between today's top magicians and the masters of the past.

'GD'

PS. To the guy who posed the question "is Hendrix as good as Satriani": I think you have the names the wrong way around. In any case the answer is obvious: Hendrix was a pioneer, a genius and an innovative technician. Satriani is a flawless technician who had the fortune to stand on the shoulders of a giant - but his strength is his weakness - he's too clinical and thus his music just fails to speak to the masses...

Sorry to get off track here.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
And if you find Satriani too clinical, give a listen sometime to Yngwie Malmsteem. Unbelievably brilliant playing -- almost completely unlistenable.

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...)

TCR
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tom, I misread your post. I stand corrected. Point, there was only one Houdini. If the crowds waited several days for Blaine to perform his effect , how long do you think the crowd of today would have waited to see Houdini?
vinny
Come check out my magic.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Past Magicians Vs. Present--Who's Better? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL