The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need some brains. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'm putting the finishing details on a new effect of mine that I think will be HUGE! It plays out alot like the cassette prediction with the gaffed box, but the tape isn't switched before the revelation and the box is borrowed and ungaffed. Can be played on multiple boxes and the mentalist never ever touches anything before or during the revelation.

Here's the problem... I want a better way to make sure the audience knows nothing could have happened to the tape before the revelation. In other words, it's mailed, and how can the audience be sure nothing has happened to the tape during the time the tape was mailed to the performance? I know of ways to help support it, but none that would really guarantee it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan Grant
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
It seems to me that there is only one thing that comes to mind. You must make certain that the person who has possession of the box is known in the public as having great integrity. For example, a judge, a CPA or someone who is known for being able to maintain confidentiality and trust. You could mail it to some banker with high visibility with instructions that he must keep it locked in a vault. Other than that, you could also mail it to a police agency which has public confidence.. FBI, RCMP but of course then a person from that organization would have to be at your show too.

quack
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
That's an interesting idea. I don't know how much that would be applicable to the majority of performances. Any other ideas out there?

Jonathan Grant
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Have it notarized & perhaps put into a larger envelope. Take a Polaroid of the envelope, next a newspaper, so the date is clearly visible, & staple it to the envelope.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Maybe this would work?

Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Ichazod@hotmail.com
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Jonathan: Sounds like your onto something. There are various cassette predictions.

It might help us to better answer your question if we knew, are you doing a headline prediction, end of show prediction of questions asked by you and answered by audience members, or what? Also, I get from your discussion that this is a routine you wish to do as part of your regular act, is that correct?

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Yes, yes, and yes. If it can be predicted it will work. It will be part of my normal routine. I want to use a headline prediction type of revealtion where days pass, but can also use an end of the performance revelation of something chosen earlier. I hope this helps you help me come up with something.

Jonathan Grant
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Maybe sealing it before mailing it, that way it would not be able to be unsealed, tampered with, and sealed again before the revelation? Is there a way to seal it like this? Some kind of lock maybe?

Jonathan Grant
laidback
View Profile
New user
NJ
51 Posts

Profile of laidback
Jonathan, will you have anyone with you at the time you mail it, who will also be at the show?

If so, you could get one of those combination locks where you can reset the combination to anything you want. Get the spectator to set the combination to one that only he knows. Have them loop the chain through one hole in the cassette, back through the other hole and lock it.

He could also sign the front of the cassette with a marker.

If your method requires anything "special" to be on the tape before it's mailed, you could use TWO locks, one set by you, and one set by him. This would prevent anyone from listening to the tape prematurely.

-Steve

PS - Using a photo of a newspaper to prove the date as someone suggested is an interesting idea, but I think it would really only prove that you mailed the tape ON OR AFTER the date on the newspaper.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
The problem with the combo lock idea is that you're stuck if the participant forgets the combination or loses the paper he wrote it down on. Never trust the conclusion of the effect like that to somebody else... it's enough trouble making sure they don't forget to bring the mailed prediction! Smile

It's the same reason why, when doing a newspaper prediction, you should bring your own copy of the newspaper even if you've told a participant to bring a copy twenty times. Eventually, one of them will forget, and it'll be you that looks bad, not them.

Andy Leviss

Check out my new book for mentalists, Ramblings and Revelations (and other products for magicians and mentalists) at:

http://www.asquaredproductions.com
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I've had great success simply by having the person (usually the president or manager of the company) simply read the postmark on the envelope. Don't run if you aren't being chased!

If you can find a pastor, priest or bishop, THAT is the person who should have possession of the envelope. Otherwise, the boss or an employee that has a rep for trustworthiness.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
If you are doing a prediction of things that occur during your show, there are a couple of things you can do. These have been around for a while, but are effective.

1. Have your sealed envelope hanging from the ceiling or tacked to a board in full view of your audience. Bring attention to it early in your program and assign two audience members to watch it throughout your performance. You can see where this can be turned into a running gag that keeps the audience aware of the envelope and the fact you are coming nowhere near the prediction envelope.

2. Hand the envelope to a person in the audience after establishing you have never met them. Assign another person to "keep and eye on them." Again, there is good potential for a running gag.

As to "sealed" headline predictions.

There is no disagreement that you need someone who is beyond reproach. If you are doing a corporate function, the suggestion of using the CEO or other ranking corporate officer is certainly valid.

You may have already thought of this, but make sure they are willing to participate and make sure they will be at the function. Check with their office before the event to ensure they are still coming, and if they are not, see if you can have them turn over the envelope (or whatever) to someone who is.

If it is a public show, it becomes trickier, in that you must get a person well known to the community to participate. In fact, it may be wise to send envelopes to two different celebrities, to increase the probability of at least one showing up. If both show up then do a double prediction routine. Again, try and check that at least one will be coming to your show.

You probably already realize that you must be prepared to do something else, if nobody shows with your prediction envelope, chest or whatever.

Do not be suprised if the receipient of your prediction (particularly media reporters) opens your prediction. In today's climate that may happen. I do not recall who came up with this idea but they suggested you put a note in the prediction container that said (The exact wording is mine), "This is a serious experiment in E.S.P.. I had a stong premonition that you would open this envelope (container, etc.). If I am right, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would take just a moment out of your busy schedule to call me at (---)--------, and confirm that my premonition was correct. See you at the show!" You can see where this could get you out of an embarassing situation.

Finally, whatever you seal your "prediction" in, DO NOT write, print or type "Prediction" on it. That's just tacky. Hope this has been of help. The best of luck on your prediction routine. Please let me know how it turns out.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Thanks for all your advice. Any other ideas?

I like the idea of locking the tape so no one can play it.

Jonathan Grant
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2002-01-04 15:41, Jonathan wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. Any other ideas?

I like the idea of locking the tape so no one can play it.

Jonathan Grant

Put it in a box that has a latch for a padlock. Use a key lock or a combination lock, but keep the key and the number, yourself. Then later during the show, you present the only way of opening the box. You don't have to touch the box, just give them the means to open it. If the box or lock looks tampered with, skip the trick.

Jerry
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
If it is a cassette prediction, how about puting a piece of wire through the reels, twist it and seal it with molten lead (like you get on UK electricity meters) - you could have someone scratch their initials in it to prove the seal is intact.

Lesault.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Run a chain through the holes and lock the chain together. Then hang the whole thing in the air above the stage throughout the show. Or in a storefront a few days befoe the show. Locks usually come with 2 keys, you keep one and someone else keeps the other. This way if they lose their key you still have yours. Or if they do loose the key, have a locksmith waiting to pick the lock. This is almost stronger as it really sells the idea that noone could've tampered with it. Maybe you can routine it that way. After the chain is locked onto the tape, you throw the keys away.

Chad
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'm still working on the effect, it just takes time to construct and such although the idea part of it is basically over. As far as routine I like putting the chain and the lock on it and putting that in a box that is locked. That would be given to the ceo or whoever is in charge weeks before hand and make sure they bring it (maybe even have a contract signed for legal reasons!). No one in on the trick ever has to touch it and the cassette player is ungimmicked and preferably borrowed. The ceo puts it in the tape player and I ask him to verify that the night before the show I asked him to pick up one of the newest issues of any of 30 mentioned publications and he is to bring it to the show without telling anyone what he bought. OR if you can buy 30 publications every show you can bring all 30 and have him freely select any one of them (it doesn't matter). The tape is played with the mentalist not touching anything and a fair distance away from the cassette player (tape has not ever been switched, the voice is mine and it was actually recorded ahead of time, what the audience hears is actually ON the tape) and the headline of the publication picked is divined correctly as is a discription of a random page inside the publication. If you like a description of what the ceo is wearing might be divined (preferably at the beginning of the tape). The kicker is that the next prediction on the tape is of the next day's newspaper which obviously hasn't come out yet. The tape is taken out and signed by the ceo and the mentalist with instructions to play it again the next day with the newspaper to make sure it has come true. The tape is given back to the ceo or to a random spectator. They can even keep it.

I really think this can help get you rebooked because of the next day prediction (which obviously comes true) which gets them into it all over again the next day! Plus they have the souvenier with hopefully contact info on it.

Anyway, you can see why I'm excited! There's also a couple of other routines that are possible using the same method that are pretty different but equally as powerful I think (or at least really close).

I'm curious to hear what you think! When everything's finally finished I'll let you guys know. I might sell it exclusivly to a performer if they offer enough money. But they'd have to offer quite a bit of money!!!

My website is mentalismeffects.com and mentalism.us. They aren't up yet but they will be when things are finished.

Jonathan Grant
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Jonathan,

Chad's idea of having it in a box can be a two edged sword with both edges being good. If you lock it in the lobby of your performance venue or perhaps in a jewelry store window and send out press releases to major news services in your area you could get lots of publicity that will help both your venue and your reputation.

Then, make a huge deal out of the box at other shows you do, whenever asked about how you're doing by family or friends, and make sure the jewelry store or venue is aware of just how much this type of publicity can be worth. It may become a one time reputation maker or you may be able to use the same method with a different prediction often.

Best,
Ray
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Welcome, Ray, to the board and thanks for your advice. I'm a little be puzzled, I'm afraid I don't understand the last paragraph of your post. Could you explain it to me? I'm sorry to trouble you but I do value what you have to say and I'm a little bit confused.

I like the publicity part. Can you fill me in on just exactly what you were thinking as far as the jewelry store window. I'm not sure I follow you.

Thanks again,

JOnathan Grant
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Welcome, Ray, to the board and thanks for your advice. I'm a little be puzzled, I'm afraid I don't understand the last paragraph of your post. Could you explain it to me? I'm sorry to trouble you but I do value what you have to say and I'm a little bit confused.

I like the publicity part. Can you fill me in on just exactly what you were thinking as far as the jewelry store window. I'm not sure I follow you.

Thanks again,

JOnathan Grant
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Jonathan,

In my reply, I forgot to mention that the box should be clear plastic with the cassette viewable from any angle as it resides in the venue lobby or a store window. Jewelry stores are good places because they are always looking for something they can safely leave in the window and still attract attention to the store.

The last paragraph was advising you to use the curious nature of people by teasing them into going to look at the clear plastic box with the cassette tape locked inside.

When someone asks you the inevitable question of, "How's your magic going?," you tell them all about your box with the cassette tape in the jewelry store window or the venue lobby. The more people you tell, the better your final show will be.

There are two reasons for this. A certain amount of "word of mouth" publicity will coincide with the press reports should you be able to get them. The second reason is to build up your own internal hype so that you can be as excited as you need to be on stage when performing this miracle.

The last line was mentioning that this type of prediction could become a reputation maker for you. If used only once, it will become the stuff of legends. If you work it right, you can use it to predict the outcome of elections, horse races, sports team scores and world headlines. Each time performed, if properly spaced, it will generate more and more publicity for you thereby placing you in greater demand.

Best,
Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need some brains. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL