The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sewing Hems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hey everyone, I am in the process of learning to sew rolled hems and am getting pretty inconsistant results. Any suggestions other than just keep on practicing?

Thanks,
Richard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A French hem is the best, but you did not say if you are using a hemming machine, or any attachments. We need more details.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I am using a standard sewing machine with a hemming foot.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The new technology is a "hot" foot that triple folds and presses it flat for a 2mm hem. It is not a home machine.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
That sounds pretty cool (or hot Smile ), but a bit beyond my need. I'm only trying to learn for my personal education and use. I figure I'll be making some costumes and a few dozen scarves, so I'm hoping to use the machine I have.

Richard
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

A fact of life is that as magicians, we like to play "what if?" and change things. For centuries silk has also been sewn by hand. Many magicians cut silk streamers to the exact length they want and sew the ends. I'm sure you'll succeed. Silk is just not an easy one. It's like magic: practice!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If the issue is that the fabric begins to unravel, consider a very thin- you may have to thin it a bit more even- bead of white glue- it will wash out in warm water. Allow it to dry smooth, trim an even edge, then you have something to "grip" while you roll and press the hem. When you put it into the sewing machine, use a sheet of onionskin or tissue paper underneath to keep the edge from jamming the feed dogs. The tissue perforates and tears away, and warm water will wash the glue out. If you are then painting the silks, the process will rinse the glue away! A little time at the outset when doing a fair sized batch will keep the expletives down during the sewing!

At least that is how I sew silk and other very filmy fabrics.

Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Oh boy, I'm in the process of trying to cut down a 24inch silk to 22 inches, but as I only have one to go at, I'm scared stiff of trying.
If anyone knows someone in the UK who can do this I would be forever in their debt - well, I'll buy them a coffee at the IBM convention in Southport this September!

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A 24 inch silk should be about 23 inches hemmed. Is the measurement really that critical?

I can make any size of silk but to explain how to do a hem that took me years to learn how to do is impossible.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Lol - I understand,Richard.
The size is critical, yes, because what I am using it for 24" 'drowns out' the effect.
I want a 'substantial size' silk, but not too substantial, if you see what I mean.
After a little experimentation 22" seems to like baby bear's porridge - 'just right'.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I understand. I just made up a parasol production and 18" silks were too small for the cover but 24" made a funky cut out of my raw fabric. So I made the 22" silks instead.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sewing Hems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL