The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best way to control a card second to top? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I was wondering if there is a move that can bring a card second to top, while leaving the top card the same. For example, there is a 2S on top of the deck, and I want to get a chosen card underneath it. And move or moves that I could use to accomplish this? I was thinking of just controlling it to the top and doing a top change.

Thanks,

Shalin
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
In controlling the top card second to the top, I use the Lepaul Bluff pass.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
How about the "Tilt" move?
Pinekonez
View Profile
New user
South Carolina, US
24 Posts

Profile of Pinekonez
This is kind of a roundabout method of doing what you want, but I don't have the enormous repetoir of moves that you usually find here. Instead of keeping the 2S on the top, keep it on the bottom. Then when the spec chooses a card, you put it on top of the deck, cut, and add the bottom card on top of it during the cut. Control with whatever you'd normally use from here on.
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Marlo Tilt is great move for returning the card to the deck and having the returned card in a position second from the top.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Shalin,

As I recall, you are fairly new to magic, just three or four months, right? So, I'm not sure what your exposure to slieghts is. There are several that will do what you want, but they are situation-specific.

For instance, the Screened Liepzig Pass will put the selection second in an impossible-looking way, but it requires that it be alright for you to see the selection, like in an Ambitious Card Routine. Or, the Bluff Pass is great, but requires that you have some experience handling cards in a casual way. You are going to pretend that one card is half a deck, and you have to do that without getting cozy with the card, or people will suspect something instantly. Your comfort level may not be there, yet.

If you have read Royal Road, or The Expert at the Card Table, you can use a jog shuffle to control and set the card quite easily. Or, you could have it returned, hold a break, do a multiple cut bringing the card to the top, and then riffle shuffle, holding back one card to cover.

There are lots of alternatives, it really depends on the performing conditions and your comfort level with cards and sleights...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Shanlin I know a very deceptive method that was taught to me by Magician Ken Sands
he did not no the nam,e of the control and neither I. also
ther is no shuffling the cards, pass or cull of any kind..
pm me and I will send you a demo,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
I would do a pass, holding the break on the card right above the selection, which would do it. When I need to do this I actually just control it to the top, and casually put another card right on top, and nobody seems to care, as long as you act as if nothing is happening.
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Marlo's Tilt is my preferred method. It is very deceptive.
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Selected card is returned to the top of the deck. Your set card 2 of spades is on the bottom.

Do a milk shuffle. Peel top and bottom cards off together... and then overhand shuffle the rest. Then do another overhand shuffle when you get near the bottom just make sure you run off the two bottom cards. You have the selection second from the top with your set card above it... No problem... No difficult sleights... these moves are in Royal Road.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I use top card cover pass all the time for controlling the card 2nd from the top.

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
Here's a little list hope its helpful..

marlo's tilt
bluff pass
cover pass
olmacs's one card pass
olmac's WOW control
side steal and placing it under the top card as your square up
or if you wanna lose someone ..hold a break, to slip cut..to jog shuffle..to double undercuts..hard to follow that...lol
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Marlo tilt seems to come up a lot. Where can I learn this move?
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
Tilty McTilt.

Dom
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
If you have any access to any of Lennart Greens work you will find a move called The Windmill. This puts the selection second from the top in a very natural way. If your still looking for the Vernon/marlo tilt move you can direct yourself to this website. http://www.falsecuts.com register and activate and you will get access.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 22:16, vinsmagic wrote:
Shanlin I know a very deceptive method that was taught to me by Magician Ken Sands
he did not no the nam,e of the control and neither I. also
ther is no shuffling the cards, pass or cull of any kind..
pm me and I will send you a demo,,
vinny
Shalin, never pass over a chance to learn a sleight from the Godfather...he is a great and generous man who is always ready to show anyone a sleight from his seemingly endless repertoire. Do yourself a favor and PM him...You'll be happy you did!!
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
Green's windmill move is absolutely great, but for some reason very difficult for me to learn... Not sure how it is for others, maybe you'll have a better time with it. I agree that it is incredibly natural, it looks like you set the deck on the table, cut about half off, place the card (face up or face down) on the bottom half, close and square the deck while it's still on the table. Doesn't seem like there could be any move going on. Need a table for it, which may or may not be what you're looking for. If you want to check it out, it's taught on Vol 1 of his series.

Other than that, top card cover pass was what first came to mind if you want to keep the existing top card at the top. I also agree about the Marlo Tilt, though I don't personally use it much anymore... just personal preference. It's used in a lot of ACRs, so other places to learn it are Daryl's ACR video and Ellusionist's Crash Course 2.

HB
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
Aaron Fisher's illusion control out of The Paper Engine works wonderfully.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Yes, Aaron Fishers move is awesome, and I use it as 1 sequence in my ambitious card. I place the card cleanly in, shows its in, square up and now its second or third from top
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
My favourites:

LePaul Bluff pass
Marlo's Tilt

Easy, deceptive and very smart - very difficult for laymen to analyse their mechanics...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best way to control a card second to top? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL