We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Jim Pace's sparkle flash. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I finally got this, and for once I was dissapointed in one of Jim's products.
Before I say anything I should say that I have and use inviso torch all the time.
I have in fact, 2 of them. I love that product.

I also bought hot leads, which I think is way way too loud and expensive for what you get, but still I use it and like it, just wish it was quieter.

On to sperkle flash. Perhaps Jim can correct me, but in the demo he shows a dollar
vanish. You can clearly see the pull in the demo so I assumed it had a clip or some means of vanishing objects that came with it.

Of course I have been buying magic products long enough to know not to assume anything, so shame on me, not Jim's demo I guess.

There is a very loose metal piece to hold the cotton, but nothing else. This means that in order to use it as in the demo I guess you'd have to add your own clip. I'm trying to be as positive as possible here but I think here is another case of what you see is definitely not what you get.

The quality of the ignition device is also suspect. Its manual of course not electric, but it seems to jam and need to be reset an awful lot. Then its good
for one strike before its jammed again. Maybe I got a bad one...

Finally, a note about shipping... And this is an industry standard practice but it still really bothers me, that is shipping AND HANDLING charge.

Many businesses do this, but it doesn't make it any better... I paid 4.95 for shipping AND HANDLING and you get the package, and see .60 cents postage on it.
That drives me absolutely nuts.

This is not an attack against Jim, the whole industry does things like this.
For anyone who did not know, the profit margin on magic tricks and accessories is one of the highest margins of any business in the world. Got a product that cost
2.00$ to make but looks great? Great we can sell this for 25 bucks.

that's why getting rocked on shipping bothers me so much.

All in all, if your just looking for a igniter that allows you to show your hands empty, sure give it a try... But go to a real shop and see this and try it and every other device before you but one.

Daytona magic sells TOPI flasher gimmick for 4.95 its virtually the same idea.

I have pretty much decided to just build my own devices from now on.
Of course there are a few more fire devices I want to buy first Smile

Steven
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Hmmm,
Sparkle Flash was my very first invention. I used to demonstrate the flint flash from Theater effects all of the time. We sold tons of them, at $20 in 1985.Then you had to purchase flash cotton on top of that for $9.
The weakness of this and many flash effects in any magic store is that you have to ditch the item,or hold onto it. I decided to put this device onto a pull and it worked but sometimes hung up on your clothing. Sparkle Flash came out of a need. No body else had anything on the market like this. I sold many to Daytona,who for some reason has stopped ordering them. Hank Lees, and Magic City both were customeres of mine. It was called Inviso Flash back then.
I found by placing a small amount of blu tack on the side of the striker that you could make things vanish in a flash.
The price? Well even to me it seemed expensive. While selling this item for $15 dollars at the Desert Seminar, Joe Stevens came to me and asked that I sell this for $20 as he was selling a lot of them and I sholud not undersell this item.
This I guess is what kept the price where it was.
When I create something I ask "what is the percieved value in this effect...and what would I pay for it without hesitation."
Still I wanted to keep Sparkle flash viewed as a good product...and not something that you could just make for $5. I started placing a good quantity of Sparkle cotton into each package. That seemed to make me feel good about this product. I sell out every time at conventions and lectures. I show them the gimmick before they buy. Here is what they are thinking...
" God, I could make this for $5. Where will I get the cotton, oh yeah I could buy it. Let's see that is $10. How do I get the Sparkle to it? Oh yeah I could buy it, that's ah $10...You know this is already made... $25 is not so much, I will just take it"
I know this from years of selling. Steven, I know your frustration. Sometimes the answers are simple. Like Sparkle Flash, why had no body put this on the market before me? It is so simple. Joe Stevens gave me the vision of percieved value. We should all take this into consideration before we purchase a magic item.
Kind regards,
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Blu tac,DUH I didn't think of that.

Okay how you do the dollar vanish is cleared then.
For the record, it IS better than topi flasher gimmick which is cheaper.

Also Jim, you may really want to put a note in the instructions about the cotten
being shipped wet. I have used cotten before so I knew this, newer magicians will not and they will aggravate themselves trying to spark ignite wet or damp cotten.

I'm going to work on an electric ignited device very similar to this.
Its not just your product, I've had enough misfires with all types of manual devices. Always it seems at the very worst time...

Maybe I'm just all thumbs...

Steven
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Have you tried the Igniter?
Jim
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Yes I have.

I think its okay but hmmm... As politely as I can put this, I like it about 35$
worth, not 85$ or 95$ worth.

As you mentioned, there is a price level at which most people will decide "I can make this" or "its not worth making this".

I'm still at "I can make this" for igniter.

Actually I'm going to try and make something similar but closer to my needs...

Steven
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Check Jim's eBay site from time to time for the Igniter, you might just get it lower - not as low as $35, but, substantially less than the regular price.

I was kicking around an idea in my head, to attach a small loop of fishing line to the top of the Igniter, ala the Raven - just to help keep it "in place" until I'm ready to let 'er rip. Anyone see any problems with that ? Bad idea, good idea ?..
Does fishing line burn slowly or quickly, or just melt a little .. ? I imagine it could get burnt from the flash. Still, I've always wanted a little something extra to free my fingers up some.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
A fishing line will melt and leave a bit of hot sticky residue on your hands (with a red blister), and smell!

I don't know why in this age and day no one apart from rick haslett is doing electric igniters. it makes life so easier, just a push of a button and it works...
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
But they are - The Ignitor is electronic. Flaming Comic book is the same principle.
Hot Leads is push button activated too.
I would like to see an electronic ignition version of Inviso-Torch though, one that still uses butane.
One thing I'd have to give flint wheels over many push button ignition systems, is that the wheel makes less noise, and the noise it does make tends to blend in to the whoosh of the flame better than a loud *click* from a button.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have to post a retraction of some of my earlier opinions about sparkle flash...

When I made those posts, It was the day I got it and I did not use it quite nearly enough. It seems after using it for several days in real world performances with real people, that I was way off base.

Once I knew about using the blue goo for the vanish I liked it a hell of a lot more. I spent a day at the magic shop I work at on weekends vanishing bills and silver dollars.

The spectators reactions alone let me know I got my money's worth, every dime of it worth in fact. I can't tell you how great a reaction this one particular performance got...

I borrowed a 100$ bill and told the gentlemen I borrowed it from I was going to transform it into 5 100$ bills. He said that would be great, handed it over eagerly and I took it and vanished it in a cloud of spark and fire (with the supplied sparkle cotton in fact)

First of all you should have see this guys initial reaction... Second, I looked around a little puzzled and said "I must have used the wrong magic words, can I borrow another one?"

The entire room burst into laughter and this poor guy looked truly lost.

I kept saying sorry I'm not sure what went wrong while this guy was wondering
if he'd get his 100$ bill back, and the room just kept laughing.

Finally I think he realized it was a joke and started laughing too, at which
point I stole the bill off and reached around him, pretending to pull it out of his back pocket.

That one time alone, was worth the money. So I'm sorry to Jim, it IS better than topi or any of the other less reliable flashers around.

A side note, the flasher wheel was "sticking" when I got it. Seemed to loosen up and work fine after some useage.

Last, I would reccomend this to anyone, I am in fact buying another one so I can repeat the effects without reset.

Steven
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
Haywire,
If it helps I kind of felt the same way you initially felt when I first got sparkle flash. However, after playing with it a lot I came to your same conclusion! Sparkle flash (although frustrating I didn't think of it) is good. P.M. me if you want to know how I've been using mine.
Anyways,
Every once in a while the pull won't retract all the way and it leaves me with about a foot of the gimmick exposed! If any of you know how to fix this problem with a pull I'd appreceate it.

-Peter

P.S. Thanks for the product Jim.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Try squirting a little sewing machine oil into the hole. It may be just dirty inside.
Thanks for the comments, good and bad. I have made improvements after reading above. I have added an alligateor clip for holding cotton, and supplied blue tac for vanishes.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
Cool! I'll do that. Thanks again.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Used mine again this weekend with the same great effects...

I had the same problem with stuck retractions occasionally but I have experience with this type of reel. I dumped a bit of 3 in one oil into the hole and that seems to make the retraction quieter and smoother than before.

I got some sparkle additive also so I can make my own "sparkle flash cotton".

All in all, its a great gimmick I'm sure will find a lot of use from me.

Another use I found almost by accident was that I screwed up a card trick
pretty good over the weekend. Somehow I selected the wrong card "Is this your card?" the person was going uhhh... not even close.

I had no idea what I did wrong but I remembered having just loaded up sparkle flash before this person came into the store. I reached back for sparkle flash, pushed it onto the back of the card and said "Okay well forget that card, that's the wrong one, I'll send it to the place I send all unwanted things..."

I sparked the gimmick and the card vanishes, and in the end, that had a better reaction than picking their correct chosen card would have. I think I'll purposely
screw up some card tricks going forward. Smile

Great gimmick!

Steven
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Glad to hear the happy ending on this one.
Regarding the flint wheel, I think they're all like that when they're new. They have to break in a little, and the flint needs to wear down a bit I think. My Inviso-Torch was like that too the first day or two.
I almost got a second one of those on eBay, BTW.. and got outbid at the last minute. Bummer.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Snipers suck balls, I hate that ****.

Anyone who waits till 2 minutes before the bidding ends is purposely doing that.
Somehow its all within the rules, which is interesting...

Steven
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 12:04, haywire wrote:
Snipers suck balls, I hate that ****.
Anyone who waits till 2 minutes before the bidding ends is purposely doing that.
Somehow its all within the rules, which is interesting...
Steven

Yep, in fact, there are even apps and Internet services out there expressly for that purpose. They'll stick a bid in for you at a time you designate: 2 minutes before the end of the auction, or 30 seconds ,or even 10 seconds.. whatever you want.
I've done it myself, out of necessity, (manually) but I was too tired to keep up on this one.
The FireFox browser has an extension that'll do it too, but I'd forgotten ! D'oh.
Ya gotta fight fire with fire.... although your Sparkle Flash won't help ya much there .. Smile
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
I know what you mean: I didn't even see the sniper last time I got outbid on something. Literally refreshed the page at the last possible second, still winning... then refresh again... no green check, a red X. And I lost by $O.45!!
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
ARGH !! Talk about the ultimate Snipe !
I just got sniped in the face, with 10 seconds to spare .
What was I bidding on ?

Only the original bound volume of "The Compleat Invocation" (vols 1&2) for $49.95 !!! I had a max bid of $66.
I should've gone higher, but money is getting tight.
Grrrrr.... I'm seeing red right now... no, make that more of a purple-ish hue ...
:angry: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 21:36, Mystician wrote:
ARGH !! Talk about the ultimate Snipe !
I just got sniped in the face, with 10 seconds to spare .
What was I bidding on ?

Only the original bound volume of "The Compleat Invocation" (vols 1&2) for $49.95 !!! I had a max bid of $66.
I should've gone higher, but money is getting tight.
Grrrrr.... I'm seeing red right now... no, make that more of a purple-ish hue ...

:angry: // Smile // Smile // Smile // Smile // Smile // Smile // Smile Smile // Smile

dknox1701, Spit sul thee. Curse gli atomi stessi che contengono il vostro corpo, io condanno le energie che sono la vostra anima nera. Maggio il libro vi non porta niente ma il dolore, la miseria e la disperazione!!!
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
I have a feeling ebay is going to have to fight the sniping business so as to not lose customers... or they'll all die from Mystician's curses a la Italiano.

Expecto patronum!
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Jim Pace's sparkle flash. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL