The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Twisted sisters or B wave (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Which of these would you say are the best and why?
I know they are a lot alike but not sure you could routine them together as I don't have either,but want to get one or the other or both.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
They're both great tricks, with mostly the same effect if my memory serves me. I might be mistaken, so if I am I apologize (it's been forever since I've performed either one), but you can perform B'Wave with one of the Twisted Sister packets. B'Wave will definately help your magicians force. For $15 or so for each, they're both great.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Thanks Josh. if I can do both effects with twisted sisters then I think twisted....would be the way to go.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
You do need to know the method of B'Wave, but after playing around with Twisted Sister, I'm sure you'll figure it out!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I prefer the effect of B'Wave. Twisted Sister seems like a muddied effect, although I might use the cards to perform B'wave in a strolling situation.

I stopped performing B'wave, for years, until I got the "Mind Control" book and video by David Eldridge. It's an excellent way to learn equivoque and it's variations.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I like B'wave better because it is more personal. Although I only own Twisted Sister, I usually use it as B'wave. I do prefer jokers to blanks because it is a more natural card. Reads more as a mental trick than a magic trick. Twisted sister is killer but seems almost to perfect. The fact that it is so completely impossible could lead people to the answer. Or to feel challenged.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 03:43, StuartPalm wrote:
I do prefer jokers to blanks because it is a more natural card. Reads more as a mental trick than a magic trick.

I am curious as to other comments regarding jokers vs blank cards fom magi who perform this effect, as I don't have either. I once saw twisted sisters and wasn't too impressed. Maybe my magician's prejudice was involved, However, I am very interested in B'wave.

Thanks
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I prefer the jokers as well. There is just something reassuring about seeing something else rather than nothing.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 09:52, Michael Bilkis wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 03:43, StuartPalm wrote:
I do prefer jokers to blanks because it is a more natural card. Reads more as a mental trick than a magic trick.

I am curious as to other comments regarding jokers vs blank cards fom magi who perform this effect, as I don't have either. I once saw twisted sisters and wasn't too impressed. Maybe my magician's prejudice was involved, However, I am very interested in B'wave.

Thanks

I do not like to toot my own horn. However, B'Wave is the effect that I have performed and continue to perform more often than any other effect. It is a main stay in my close-up work as well as my stage show (Giant B'Wave). I carry it everywhere I go (yes, in a little black plastic wallet), and have performed it in every possible way (as far as the 'other' 3 cards are concerned anyway). I have also gotten more praise for my presentation (which can be found on page 1 of this very thread) than I have for almost any other effect I have either constructed or given a presentation to. Therefore, I feel I can speak with some authority as to the performance aspects of B'Wave.

I prefer the blank cards as opposed to Jokers or a collection of indifferent cards. My reasons are that the image of the card they named and ONLY the card they named in the fan is much stronger, theatrically, than when there are other images cluttering up the scene. Also, with "other cards" in the "image" the spectator's brain needs to work a bit harder to see their selection.

Also, as with other effects that "expose" a specially printed (or unprinted as the case may be) card such as Anniversary Waltz, we have to remember that laymen do not think like a magician. They don't link the "gaffs" to other effects. No one upon seeing a blank card (which really is not a gaff in and of itself) or a DF card trace it back to an effect they saw previously, nor do they consider it when they see one employed in a future effect. It is a sort of reverse psychology. "A magician does not reveal a secret, so this special card must not be a secret." Smile
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
I own both TS and BWav. I prefer the BWav presentation as well. It's easier for strolling situations, plus I do like the "blank finish." I actually carry with me both TS packets (replaced jokers with blanks), and when I'm strolling, I'll switch up which card ends up being the "one thought of." This way, some people end up with hearts, some with spade, clubs, diamonds...

Because as those who perform this effect know, the most common question is... "Does everyone pick the Queen of Hearts." I usually will say, "No... that guy over there picked Queen of Spades." If it's a situation where people might compare notes later, it's a good idea to use red with one group and black with another group.

That's why I bought TS, so I could have all four Queens.
islandguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of islandguy
Good thought on Twisted Sisters, not only do you then have, in effect, 2 Bwave sets, but all the Queens covered. Either effect come across as mental magic or some type of card trick, but a good one. I like the blank cards, since I say - "yep, I picked the Queen of Hearts,too - but it was a different deck, and then my mind went 'blank!'. Keith
tos
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
4 Posts

Profile of tos
There is another good variation on these tricks: Nervous Breakdown by Dominique Duvivier. I like it.

Review here: http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/05......own.html
Video there: http://www.jbtv.co.uk/ (can't link directly to the video, but it's there)
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Don't do Bwave, but have been successfully performing Twisted Sisters for years, and I always get a great reaction...For the price, you get some nice gaffs and a great effect. Just my opinion Smile

Cheers,
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi All: I use the stage version of Twisted Sisters. Audiences love this effect. I had to make a simple cardboard stand to hold all the cards, but it was worth it because of the strong reaction it gets. The stand makes it possible to show the trick to a large group, and you don't have to worry about anything except the presentation. What a great effect, and it's easy for the audience to understand if explained properly. Don't get me wrong, I like B'Wave too, but that works better for me in a close-up situation. Thanks, Marty.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 01:00, Marty wrote:
Hi All: I use the stage version of Twisted Sisters. Audiences love this effect. I had to make a simple cardboard stand to hold all the cards, but it was worth it because of the strong reaction it gets. The stand makes it possible to show the trick to a large group, and you don't have to worry about anything except the presentation. What a great effect, and it's easy for the audience to understand if explained properly. Don't get me wrong, I like B'Wave too, but that works better for me in a close-up situation. Thanks, Marty.

Marty,

I'm a bwav fan over TS, but if I were to do it on stage, I think you're right, TS is better because you can create a big production out of nothing. You can have one set of cards on one side, and the other set waaaaaaaaaaaay over there...

I like it.
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
I have both and my preference is B-wave. In fact, I made my own gaff so I don't have to equivoke. I ask the spectator to name any of the four queens. Then produce the one named in traditional B-wave fashion.

Although, I am thinking about making gaff Jacks...would go better with my character.
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 00:53, Captain Jack wrote:
I have both and my preference is B-wave. In fact, I made my own gaff so I don't have to equivoke.

What the hell do magicians have against Equivoque?! Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 10:00, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
I have both and my preference is B-wave. In fact, I made my own gaff so I don't have to equivoke.

Relax, Dave. The fewer guys doing it (badly), the better.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 12:55, Necromancer wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 10:00, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:

Relax, Dave. The fewer guys doing it (badly), the better.

Best,
Neil

Good point. However, I was asking why there is so much animosity towards Equivoque from magicians. It is as if magicians go out of their way, and go to all kinds of trouble to avoid this technique; ways that actually weaken the effect. I agreee with your statement, but I was asking more about the mindset. Smile
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I think it was an old Peter Paul & Mary song that went something like this.
"When will they ever learn, When will they eeeeeeever learn"
:heavymetal:
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Twisted sisters or B wave (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL