The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self working favourite (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Indus
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Indus
I have heard from several different people that you should start off a routine with a self working trick, I was wondering what everyones favourite self working trick is? The tricks don't have to be absolutely self-working, but have to make it so that there is zero chance of getting snapped by someone burning your hands
"A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimension."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
I like Coincidentally Yours from Close Up Card Magic. Also there is Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon, and The Lazy Man's Card Trick in Close Up Card Magic. You can also study the various 21 Card Trick variants that Marlo has in print. I have 2 variants of the 21 Card Trick that I enjoy performing for laymen. One is a "Magician in trouble" theme, and the other is a mental way of revealing the selection.

Trini
Trini Montes
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
How about "Pre Deck Ability", by Aldo Colombini.
You predict in advance how many cards will be face down, how many will be red, and that the remainder of the cards will be a certain suit.
Plus a final kicker prediction. The spectator can do all the shuffling of the face down face up cards themselves.

magiclee
zmagicleez
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of zmagicleez
Definitely give 'overkill' a try, it has 3 parts to it and each one gets stronger.
I am not sure I agree with the person that told you, you should start with a self working trick.
It's a small world... but you wouldn't want to hoover it.
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Vernon's handling of Henry Christ's Aces! Almost self working, good serie of effects. I always get a great reaction Smile
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
Larry Jennings' Impossible is pretty cool.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
There are a good selection in Harry Lorayne's "Close-up Card Magic": a couple have already been mentioned.

Try "Ahead of the Pack" by Jack Avis and Lewis Jones. Available from http://www.ian-rowland.com/Start/IRStartIndex.htm
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
My handling of "twin souls".

or perhaps the slightly similiar "untouched" by Daryl I believe.

Bannons "Play it straight triumph" is
"nearly" self working.

What I love about a good "self working" effect is that you can concentrate more on presentation and not so much on technical stuff...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
HOGWASH!!!

I certainly don't think you should limit yourself to a self-working trick because you're scared to get caught. you should start with something that makes the audience think "wow, what's next. I've never seen anything like this before!" not "Well, at least he didn't make a mistake".

Given that, I think Play it straight is a good choice.

I usually look for something that is quick and very powerful such as Eddie Fechter's
"That's It" which is close to self working or Red Hot Mamma which is also close to self working. The trick length is not long on either one, they are shockers, easy to follow and very impressive.

"That's It" is also good when you have some smart aleck in the audience that says he knows what you're doing and smirks at your effects.

I always play that up... "he, of course, knows what I'm doing but the rest of you should pay attention to this next one"

then you smoke the little brat with "That's It".

That is the only reason I would not use
"That's It" for an opener... saving it for just such an occasion.

I never perform a self-working effect and I think that advice is completely misgiven.

There are many effects where people can burn your hands and you won't get caught including those I mentioned above.

If you're worried about that, then you are not making enough eye contact with your audience early enough in the "show" or you really just need a lot more practice before you start performing.

Check out the effects I mentioned...

"That's It"
"Red Hot Mamma"

I believe Red Hot Mamma is on Ammar Card Miracles #1 and That's It is on #1 or #2.
it could be #5 but I don't think so.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
I don't do a lot of card stuff in my shows, but I do nearly always open with "Lips", because I can get a whole group of people on their feet shouting "I love you" at a deck of cards I'm holding above my head. Then everyone in the room realises that I'm the magician!
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Hey Elwood, what is "Lips" and where can one find it? It sounds interesting. Boy there have been a bunch of good ones mentioned in this thread. Another thought on doing self working effects is to go ahead and make a bunch of movey moves. So they think you are doing some dirty work. ie: casting a shadow- as I riffle the cards this way-a little flick of the wrist-as I turn the cards around- as I slap the deck. I like 'em to think I am doing something even when I ain't. It helps throw a lttle sawdust in their eyes.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The absolute best self-working card trick is done with 4 queens. I'm not sure the name of this trick or the inventor but I'm almost positive that it's Harry Lorayne.

You display the 2 red queens leave the 2 black queens tabled. One queen face up one face down. Spectator chooses a card and it is openly taken between the 2 red queens, and it can be signed. You ask the spectator to hold their hands out after you show the 3 and do the prayer vanish and place the 2 queens in their hands and show that their card has disappeared from in-between the two red queens.

You then have them spread the deck which has been on the table the whole time and their card is face up, signed in the center. Then take the two black queens, place their signed card in between them and cut them into the pack. Take the 2 red queens from the spectator and openly place them on top of the pack. Turn them over and spread to show that the selected card has now transported into the red queens and you can show them openly, well almost.

Then you turn the 3 card packet back over and show that it has once again disappeared from in-between the 2 red queens and is still where it should be in-between the 2 black queens.

Self-working, quick in performance and utterly astounding. I have got some great reactions with this one. If anybody knows the name please let me know so I can tell people when they ask instead of me saying, ummm... I think it's credited to...

Thanks guys!
Bryan
Deal A Deuce
View Profile
New user
Iowa
65 Posts

Profile of Deal A Deuce
I don't think anyone mentioned "out of this world?" if you did I must have missed it, but it doesn't get any stronger that that. The spectator does all the work!
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
Trois:

A description of Lips.

A spectator is asked to select a card from a blue-backed deck. The card is replaced and lost into the deck. She then "blows a kiss" at the deck and instantly, her selected card blushes (turns into a red-backed card)! When the card is turned over, a lovely red lipstick imprint is seen on its face! If Lips doesn’t get them cheering, nothing else will!

You'll find it right Here!
or

Here!
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
"Quadruple Prediction" in Semi Automatic Card Tricks: it's a killer (and self-working, too).
Andrea Antonuccio
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-10-28 02:45, fstarsinic wrote:
HOGWASH!!!

I certainly don't think you should limit yourself to a self-working trick because you're scared to get caught.

Erm, I never said that. I just said I believe some "self working" effects are quite nice and allow you to concentrate on presentation. I never recommended that people only use "self working" effects out of fear of being caught.

Quote:
you should start with something that makes the audience think "wow, what's next. I've never seen anything like this before!" not
"Well, at least he didn't make a mistake".

Um, some "self working" effects do elicit a "wow" response.

That being said, I use whatever works for a given situation.

Quote:
On 2002-10-28 10:06, Deal A Deuce wrote:
I don't think anyone mentioned "out of this world?" if you did I must have missed it, but it doesn't get any stronger that that. The spectator does all the work!

Agreed! The impromptu versions are especially good for this.

Maybe I'm just lazy at times, but I love effects where the spectator does the majority of the work and still ends up having fun and enjoying the effect. Smile
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
I think Lips is an awesome trick. I use it as an opener and then leave a chocolate kiss to the person who threw the kiss. A kiss for kiss.
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
If I had to start with a self-working effect, I would use Contact colors by Aldo Colombini.

On second thought, maybe that would be a bad idea, as it is hard to follow with ANY effect.

(I thought I should add a spooky graphic in the name of the season!)
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
I forgot to mention in my previous post a killer effect from Martin Gardner that I've found in a Fulves' "Self Working Card Tricks" booklet. Briefly, it's a two-deck coincidence with a double climax. Believe me, nothing can follow it.

Andrea Antonuccio
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
Quote:
On 2002-10-28 02:45, fstarsinic wrote:
HOGWASH!!!

I never perform a self-working effect and I think that advice is completely misgiven.

If you're worried about that, then you are not making enough eye contact with your audience early enough in the "show" or you really just need a lot more practice before you start performing.

Frank

Yeah, but you need practice at performing live as well. I can't believe that people don't get nervous about their first gigs; in fact I can't believe that a lot of people don't get nervous about most of their gigs to a degree. So go for it Indus, use a self-worker along the way. I you present it well the lay audience are none the wiser and entertained. Don't feel second rate about using a self-worker. Feel great about presenting a great effect well and use that positive confidence to take you forward.

Best
Smile
Andrew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self working favourite (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL