The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What effect do you do after Shattered? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi All: Since Shattered is such a strong effect, what trick would you do after it? Should you do a trick after it, or would it be better as the ending of you act? Could it be used in the middle or as an opener? What do you think about the placement of Shattered in your act? Thanks, Marty.
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
I use it in the middle of my act, I do not feel that it is strong enough for a closer, I close with a Predection, like Glass Box.
Make Everyday Magical
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Depending how big is your show. If you do only parlour show, you canuse this as closer. But if you have illusion with you, shattred will be on the 2nd trick, to make all people get more attention to our show.
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi: Thanks for the input, and yes, it is a parlour show ssucahyo. I'm still thinking about this trick's placement. Marty
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I agree with Magicdog that I would not use this as a closer but not because Shattered is not a strong enough routine. It is a very strong routine. However, even in a parlor show, I prefer to close the show where I am the only one standing in the performance area and am the center of attention. I do not like to use any routine as a closer where there are an spectators next to me, as is needed with Shattered. I agree with ssucahyo that Shattered would make a terrric 2nd or even 3rd effect in your show to get the audiences attention even in a parlor show. The placement of this effect may also be slightly altered depending if you are planning on doing a mixture of magic and mentalism routines or strictly a mentalism show. When designing a show, pacing is very important. You need to start off with something fast and exciting and then slow down the pace a bit and then speed it up again. Changing pace will keep the audience's attention focused and entertained.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Another important thing is you have to clear up the table before you do the Shattered. You need the table right? That is also one for your consideration.
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi: Some good ideas Michael. Just to let you know, my show is a mix of magic and mental, and that's why I was drawn to Shattered in the first place--it's different. It's hard to find effects that take a little time to perform and are interesting. Shattered does both of these things and more, but my problem has always been where to put it in the show. I agree with you about ending without a spectator on stage, so the end of the show should be a different trick. And, as Ssucahyo suggests, the condition of your table is important before and after the Shattered effect. Speaking of tables, I use two--one very sturdy fold-up table which I put my prop case on, and one smaller, adjustable height magician's table. The magician's table is sturdy, but it's not big enough for a good arrangement of the bottles, so I have to move my prop case off the other table in order to have a place to do the effect. There's really only one place it the show where I can take the prop case off and leave it off, and that's the third trick from the end. At that point in the show, I don't know if it's the best place for Shattered, but I guess I'll try putting it there and see what happens. Any other thoughts or ideas? Marty
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you restructure the routine you can get rid of the spectator on stage issue. The spectator is only present for the initial mixing. There is no mixing after that, as such mixing is really pointless. All that is needed is the knowledge of how to build the routine to a dramatic climax.

Hope that opens up a delightful journey for you.

Cheers,

Tom
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Marty,

Your idea of putting the effect third from last would be fine, especially since that is the best and only time that you can use your larger table. Don't forget, Shattered is best used with the spectators that you will be using (I usually use two)for this effect should be sitting at the table. So you should also have ready two chairs for the spectators to sit on located at the table. May I ask what other magic/mentalism routines you are planning on doing? Perhaps with a little further details, we can go over the effects and arrange them in a nice and entertaining order.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
After Shattered? I do the appearing bloody bandage gag.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Ok Michael, here's a rundown of the show so far:

1. Warm-up: A few jokes then a quick trick--Coke Van
2. Mental Epic opener
3. Dime & Penny (Yep, it's small and an old one, but it work great for me--I tell a story of how it's the first trick I ever saw, and I show a large blow-up of me as a 10 year old kid, etc).
4. Jumbo Split Deck
5. Fiber Bill (one of my own)--maybe Linking Finger Rings in here as an alternative
6. Stage version of Twisted Sisters with stand
7. Shattered
8. The Lemon Game
9. The Vanishing Bandanna (I always like to end with the Vanishing Bandanna, but if the Lemon Game go too long I'll just stop after that effect).

I might add that the next performance is for a wedding rehearsal dinner.
Thanks for your help. Marty
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I recently performed and did Shattered next to last then Bill in Lemon. I want to clear the table of shattered stuff and get it away.
Frank
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Quote:
On 2005-08-24 16:13, squando wrote:
I recently performed and did Shattered next to last then Bill in Lemon. I want to clear the table of shattered stuff and get it away.

Hi: How was the audience's reaction to Bill in Lemon after seeing Shattered? Thanks, Marty
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Yesterday I performed at a few elderly centers and I performed shattered, I intended it to be the last trick, but the director said I could go on for a few more minutes, I had already performed for about one hour, so I did a q.a routine and it played very well,
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What effect do you do after Shattered? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL