The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Illusionarium - by Peter Loughran » » Greg Frewin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I had the chance to go and see Greg Frewin's new Las Vegas style Review in Niagra falls with a group of other magicians from surrounding areas.

The Show was great. Greg has a fantastic personality on stage and doesn't carry the normal mono tone or worse the Radio DJ voice I have seen some illusionists boast.

Im not trying to write a review of the show here, however I will mention that the only thing I didn't like was the fact that there was about 3-4 dance segments in between every couple of illusions or so. And while its not a bad thing, I went to the show to see magic, not a group of dancers. I don't have a problem with sitting though 1 or two durring an illusion show but would much rather of seen the dancing sequences mixed in with the magic routines, as opposed to seeing the dance sequences just by themselves. Now I will admit, that the dancers were good, and very attractive, infact it felt uncomfortable at times watching them dance around half naked while sitting with Lyndsy. I could see the tension on other men there sitting with their wives...It was kinda funny. I also know that the sequences serve a purpose such as giving Greg a short break, or perhaps to set up for the next illusion. And for those that are designing a show for the first time, this is a great tip.

His magic was flawless, never saw him make a mistake, and he caught me off guard a few times with some of his unique illusions.

I must tell you that I competed against Greg years ago at the Rising Star competition in Toronto held at the CNE. I think I was 12 years old or something, and Greg was around 18. I remember losing to his amazing dove act, which obviously progressed through the years. After seeing his polished new dove act on WGM I was actually proud that I shared the same stage with him, even if I lost. Well he opened with his dove act and it was fantastic as usual! My favourite part of the show! Great job Greg.

Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention about the evening is a really clever idea that Greg was doing after the show. He had what resembled a girl to lion cage(it wasn't), with a modern shape sitting in the lobby. And at the end of the show you can pay a small price and can get inside of this cage with one of his show tigers. But here is the really cool thing. There was a black wall inside the cage dividing the cage in half. This wall's end was hidden by the one of the bars running vertically on the cage. The tiger is on one side and the person is on the other, yet when the photo is taken it appears that the person is simply inside the cage with this tiger with nothing in between them. I thought this was a fantastic idea, and wished I had thought of it. It was very clever! Im not revealing anything here since this is openly viewed by the public, but Im sure there is some other magical application hidden in that concept.

I would like to thank Greg for a wonderful Evening, I had a great time.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I had a recent pm from another Café member disputing the idea of using dance segments in a show. So I would like to clarify my point.

Greg's show was very well produced, and the magic was fantastic and the seperate dancing segments were also very well done. All my point was that I felt it had perhaps one or two, too many of these seperate dance sequences. that's all.

I don't disagree with the idea, and I also realize the many purposes they contribute to this type of show, as I have stated in the original article. Remember this was just my humble opinion on this particular show.

The Café Member who Pm'd me states that this might make for a good disussion, and perhaps it would, however again Im not disputing the use of dance sequences, I have used them in my own show, I just felt in this Particular show, there might have been too much. I hope that clears up my view on the subject.

I have heard that Greg is also trying to work in some other illusions in the show at the moment, and perhaps some of these dance sequences were simply fillers until the other illusions take their place in the show, Im not really sure.

At any rate, just go see the show, you'll love it, the magic is fantastic!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Illusionarium - by Peter Loughran » » Greg Frewin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL