The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Art of Card Manipulations by Jeff McBride (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
Wikiro,

Don't let it bother you. There's no harm in getting or being excited about something that you enjoy.

Despite the initial reaction to your word usage, I guarantee that everyone here is routing for you.

It may sound at first like everyone is angry with you or that they think you're clueless, but rest assured that the things that have been said stem from a desire to aid you in giving beautiful performances rather than unintentional card manipulation exposes.

Having said that, I also think that McBride's series is top notch. Personally, I would say that 9.5 is a conserative estimate considering the quality and care placed into these videos.

As far as routines go, generally 2-5 minutes should suffice. Depending on what types of productions you are doing, this may wind up being a LOT of cards (imagine 5 minutes worth of near-constant split fans for example).

In regards to "what next", I totally agree with Jeb. You have a wealth of information on hand. It's time to start putting it to work for you. Begin constructing some short manipulative sequences and work your way up to a full blown routine.

Stay creative, stay original and never stop practicing. If anything, one might say that this is perhaps the closest thing to a true path towards mastery that you're likely to find.

All the best.
millusions
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of millusions
My suggestion for further study, if you can find them, is jean hugards card manipulations 1-5 and card control by arthur buckley. Those books have had a bigger influence on me tnah anything else in magic

good luck
mike
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Card control by Arthur Buckley? What is that Ive seen it once but forgot what was in it.
Is it on total card control?
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I've missed you grasshopper Smile

Anyway, the whole point of manipulation is routining. No matter how good your sleights are doing single sleights isn't particularly impressive and it is MUCH easier to figure out what happened. I noticed you mentioned that you can do the mercury production routine. That's a good one, I like the tenkai/packet vanish one. Short and sweet.

A good place to start would be A Card Act by Tom Osborne. It's a small book and it is a full manipulation routine laid out for you. This will 1. give you something to perform and 2. let you see a "model" for routining.

Last tip you said you had all but 5, if arm spreads are one of them I'd recommend you keep working on them. I went to a seminar with Jeff McB and I was the only one there (other than McB) who could do arms spreads and catches. That was pretty neat.

-Dan

PS The Buckley book is on controls like shifts, crimps Etc. Eugene Burger recommended that book to me.
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2002-10-27 17:50, wikiro wrote:
I have finished these tapes and mastered all but about 5 manipulations only because I thought they were not worth it, but if I were to rate this tape on manipultion it would get a 9.5 out of ten 10. Every card person should get these tapes. It for me took 6 months to understand eveything really well and perform the sleights amost perfect. Now here is my question Smile where should I go from here?

Wikiro Smile

do you have the tarbell series? the art of astonishment (aoa)? AOA is crazy.
white hats rule.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
No I dont have many books and cash for that matter I bought these tapes from a member of this Café. Really nice guy. $45 for the whole set and they were really never used.

Also I added to the mercury production I think it might be to fancy though.

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
What's the addition?

Not quite sure why, but personally, I keep getting this urge to throw in a Ken Brooke or a Lee Grable every now and again (though these often have to wait until the stock is a little smaller).
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Haha exactly what I do.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
well, that should tell you it's not too fancy. I'm definately not a fancy person and I keep finding myself wanting to do it.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2002-10-30 12:28, wikiro wrote:
Oh and Geoff I hope it goes really well. Tell use what happens.

Thanks.. I'm a little nervous but I will be workshopping with McBride the night before my show, so hopefully that will help..

as for the Tom Osbourne routine, its very minimal on the productions side of things, which seems to be the route favored by McBride students.... maybe this is a good thing? Its nice to see a very different point of view for a card act.. I must admit I choked a little when I saw the part about following the arms spreads with a cane spread!!
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
When you are performing always think you are better than you are it gives a good effect and also I never seen a McBride show does he even talk in them?

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
Quote:
On 2002-11-04 15:49, Geoff Weber wrote:
...but I will be workshopping with McBride the night before my show, so hopefully that will help..

you get to workshop with McBride!?!?! life is just not fair.

You gotta tell him he rules once for me. maybe twice. Smile

all the best.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
oh and ask him where he gets those mask ideas?

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
My show went really well. We had a sell out crowd, and I got a big picture in the Washington Post. Jeff gave me some excellent advice which I worked into my routine.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Congratulations!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
uconn_ron
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
5 Posts

Profile of uconn_ron
On 2002-11-04 16:14, wikiro wrote:
When you are performing always think you are better than you are it gives a good effect and also I never seen a McBride show does he even talk in them?

Jeff was at a convention in Atlanta this past weekend. I got to meet him and talk with him about his new theater, the impact of music on his act. I really enjoyed his lecture about being a magician "24/7".

It was the first show I've seen of his and was impressed - it would probably be even grander on the big stage. It is incredible from a few feet away though!

I haven't done it, but he does offer these "Master Workshops" in Vegas.

-Ron
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Quote:
On 2002-11-05 06:52, wikiro wrote:
oh and ask him where he gets those mask ideas?

............erm...maybe i'm misunderstanding you but the Chinese have been doing that for centuries... performing changing masks is like doing lab changes or an eidetic change... pretty tough.... does anybody here actually do the eidetic infront of people?
white hats rule.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Here's the story on how the masks came into the act: When he was a teenager, he started by just putting a mask on the front of his table as a set decoration... Then after a while he tried putting some silks in the mask and pulling them out the eye holes to do a trick with... Then he tried wearing the mask, pulling out the silks, taking off the mask and doing the trick... so you see, it started off simple, and with a little experimentation, he just kept adding more and more...
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
I am really jealous that you got to work with Jeff. I used to occasionally (I mean VERY RARELY) bump into Eugene Burger at a local magic club I was involved in. Unfortunately I was too young and stupid to realize how awesome of a magician he really is, so I didn't take the time to really work with him. I was only about 10 years old. Now I wish I had spent more time learning from the man.

The thing that really irks me is that he personally taught me how to do his "Shot Glass Suprise" eleven years ago, and I forgot it. Now it's a hot selling item, and I don't have enough cash to buy it!

CRUD.

-sorry bout going off on a tangent there.

My point is that working with the likes of Jeff and Eugene is a really awesome thing and I hope everybody in this forum at least has a chance to 'meet & greet' two of magic's greats sometime in their lives.

By the way congrats on the show Geoff. Is there a tape of the performance we could watch?

-jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I have never met another magician exept for someone street entertaining in Virginia Beach and in a kids show in boy scouts(i was 5). So my best magician experience is with the tv with David Copperfield. I have never seen another magician perorm all the way through till resently when David Blaine showed up. Also Peter Marvey (the man who got me into magic). So im pretty much on my own.

Wikiro

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Art of Card Manipulations by Jeff McBride (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL