The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which clear coat for homemade cards gives durable finish? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Folks,
Reis and I are coming up with a set of cards similar in style to the Gypsy Monte set only it's not monte and there isn't a gypsy involved.

Anyway, I printed these slightly over-sized cards on stiff paper with my photo inkjet and they came out beautifully! I trimmed them and Reis glued them back to back and they're stiff like a nice card set.

Since it's an inkjet ink finish, a moist sneeze could cause problems with the ink.

I'm posting to find out which type of clear coat finish has anyone had luck with in giving cards of this sort or similar items a nice finishing coat to handle performance conditions.

Ideally, the coat should be a shiny versus a dull finish to support card handling.
Thanks in advance.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Mike:

FOR CONVENIENCE, USE SPRAY PRODUCTS:
First, spray the cards with a dry coat of artist's fixative (sold in craft stores, art supply stores, and maybe your local WalMart--you might want some of this anyway, since it makes a dandy R******G FL**D). Hold the can about 12" from the surface, and mist on a light coat, allowing it to dry before proceeding with Krylon Clear Coat. These are lacquer products that dry quickly; you'll be done in a couple of hours.

FOR THICK, GLOSSY, 'ARMOUR-LIKE' SHINE:
I've made several sets of cards for Harlan's "Hold It, Buster," getting excellent results with clear laminating sheets sold by Staples, OfficeMax, and yes...WalMart. These sticky-backed sheets of clear plastic add a nice 'glide' finish to the card but are a little tricky to apply: They can leave bubbles in the finished film if you're not REALLY careful while rubbing the sheet down on the card. Bonus: No solvent stink.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice...good luck!

Leland
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Hey Leland,
Thanks for the post. Are you trimming the lamination tight right up against the edge of the card so it acts just as an additional layer or are you allowing it to go past the edge adn seal on the ends?

I've been considering the hot roller lamination which is available by sheet at a local office supplies store except my hesitation is that the sealed edge will take away some of "look."

Seems you've had luck with the lamination. Does it look as good?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Mike:

My laminated cards get trimmed tight against the card stock, using a straight edge and Xacto knife. The cold laminated sheets look just as good as the ones done hot; I would guess that the hot laminating process may offer better lifespan -- but that's just a hunch.

Bottom line, if I were doing it again, I'd decide the job based on cost and simplicity: How much money and time for using a packet of Avery laminating sheets vs. the price of the hot rolling. Hot rolling gets an edge because of the convenience factor.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Leland,
Great info. Thanks again.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Check out the description for my gypsy curse cards at
http://mysite.verizon.net/bloodyjack/curse.html
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Beautiful cards Bloodyjack. Thanks for the info.
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
If you want to have a flush cut lamination I'd recommend a product called Teslin. It is a plastic product that you can print on with an ink jet or laser printer and then laminate. Since its plastic, you can flush trim without the lamination peeling off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which clear coat for homemade cards gives durable finish? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL