The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Small thought on tossed out deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Just wondering what others think about this little bit. I was performing tossed out deck tonight while hosting a burlesque show. Went great, people were entertained. Context is important here. I did a version with five people. All standing etc.. Had a great moment when the last guy (I usually only pick men for this one) asked "why don't you pick her, why don't you pick a girl." My reply was "Have you ever tried to read a woman's mind?" Got an Ooh, then a laugh and then applause. In this context the line worked well. In other shows I most likely would not use this. I have set up a reason before for choosing men. The best reason, the one that I don't say, is that they tend not to deviate from instruction when on the spot. A lot of the jokes in this part work better on men as well. But, I am curious what you all think of the line, and if you think it is going too far or just plain humor. Thanks, Stuart
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
It's a funny line.

I have a version of this in my Black School book and I've never felt the need to pick only men for this effect. Women work just as well.

Have you had bad experiences using women for this?
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
True, women do work for this effect. I have, in the past picked women. I have found that women work better for book tests and billet work. Women are also good for Design dupe. I could most likely be shown otherwise but I have found that men just respond better, I also have jokes that work better when used with men, and then they usually have more familiarity with cards. I am sure there are plenty of women who would work fine, but the numbers that say things like "It was a Red Queen of Spades," when doing some other card routine, is just a risk I don't like to take too often. When I do card work with a spectator and it is a one on one sort of thing, no matter who they are I make sure they know. With tossed out you don't have the ability to do this you just pick them cold. I wonder if I will get a bunch of flack for saying all this.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'm confused. You mentioned you "pick them cold" for your t.o.d routine, but on the first post you say you usually pick men for this routine....

Just to make sure, it doesn't hurt to ask the lady "picked cold" if she is familiar with cards, if she says she is not, just ask her to hand the deck to anyone near her. That should do it.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I mean that I look into the audience, in this case choose a man who looks right for the job, after explaining what to do I have him stand and toss him the deck. My interest here is if people think the line. "ever tried reading a womans mind?" would be taken as sexist. I want to find a way to include it in the act. Perhaps to have someone in the back to yell out "pick a girl," or "why are they all guys?" I liked the responce, but the "ohh" part before the laguh and applause worried me a little. I don't want to be at odds with the audience. I have used women in the past plenty of times and it has worked for the most part, that's not really my point here. The line worked well enough that I will now only pick men to set it up that way.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Before reading further you should consider this. Your premise of the joke sets you up to never read the mind of a woman. Do you want to give that impression? Do you have a premise for breaking that rule if and when you do choose a woman? Give this serious thought and progress only if you answer yes to both questions above.

Right now the line could be taken two ways.

A. Men can't read women's minds.

B. Women's minds are not as clear as men's.

Both generalize based on sex, and as such run the risk of being taken as sexist. In cases like this it is best to make yourself the focus of the joke. The line could be altered to make it more universally acceptable: "One thing I have learned in life is to never presume to know what a woman is thinking." In delivery try the slightest of pauses after the word "woman".

Cheers,

Tom
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Nice Tom, these are the kind of thoughts I new would be out there. I am wary of the frame of mind it puts people in, but the line was so effective that I can't let it go. Your "One thing I have learned in life is to never presume to know what a woman is thinking," is a better solution. gives me some ideas. your are correct that it brings up dificulty using women later. My thought was to build it up with the last set. a kind of now I will attempt more difficult feats kind of thing. Thanks, Stuart
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It could make for a nice call back to say, "Now I am going to go out on a limb... and try to discover what a woman is thinking, gentlemen you may want to pay close attention."

I'm gad you like the line. Let me know how it works for you.

Cheers,

Tom
pvhoutten
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of pvhoutten
Or what about something like "...Now I know I said I don't try to read women's thougths, but for my next experiment I really do need a cultivated thought so I'll go with a woman anyway...".
Might work disarming for those women who took offence at your proposed line.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
"I would like to try a more complex reading, I want to look into some more developed minds. Lets see, whats your name? Jane, ok Jane will you please join me on the stage."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Be very careful, you are drawing lines again.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I agree, and yet this kind of a line may play well.

When you disassociate women at one point as too complicated and then make it as if the women are a more complex breed of people who are a challanege, The men may get the joke of it. I think they will sit back with that ok make em look good attitude with understanding. In this situation I would bring up four or five women to drive the point home.

By saying I will bring up more developed mids and then one woman, people may not get it. When they realize I just mean women, this is humorus. It is not like I am being serous about the subject.

I don't like the idea of being too PC. The line could go simply. "Now it is time for a real challange. I need four women to come up on stage."
pvhoutten
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of pvhoutten
Again, this would not fit every audience or presentation style, but what about "I just advised you all not to try reading a woman's mind. Now I am going to attempt this anyway at my own risk. Don't try this at home!"
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
The "One thing I have learned in life is never to presume to know what a woman is thinking," line works nicely. Thanks all for your info and intrest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Small thought on tossed out deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL