The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chained (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I just received CHAINED today by ickle pickle. What a neat effect!! The first time I did it I stood there scratching my own head wondering how I did it!! The best part is that I don't have to find space in my pockets to carry it around with me. (I am wearing it as a necklace)

For those who are not familiar with the effect here is a brief description:

A solid metal ring and a metal chain are handed out for examintaion. The chain is held by the magician (Or spectator if you wish) and is placed through the center of the ring. A moment later the ring is dropped and is found to be attached to the metal chain.

Both the ring and chain are completely ungimmicked so there is no fear of anyone finding anything. (Almost sounds too good to be true, but trust me, it is great.)

If anyone has this effect and can give some ideas on a routine/patter, it would be appreciated.
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
I have it also and love it. When I present it I show that the ring slides easily on and off the chain, I do this a couple of times. Then I bring the ring all the way to the top of the chain and say , "But if you say the magic word " I say some word ,any word and drop the ring ,it is attached. I do this for kids and have them come up with a magic word. They are amazed that the ring is now attached.This is a fast easy effect that you can always have with you for a bit of impromptu magic. Have fun with it.
Magic is Everywhere
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I've had this effect for quite a while but only use it for impromptu situations as I tend to use my ring and rope routine for regular gigs.the routine that came with mine was a three phase routine which is what I use,also I got mine from an english dealer and it was under the name of the original linking ring and chain.
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Shaner316,

I've used Chained for several years. I also felt it needed more of a routine. I got a chain just a little longer. After letting the ring fall a couple of times, I let it link and then have two spectators hold on to the chain while the ring is removed. Originally I released it under a handkerchief via the old ring off rope effect, but soon found that I could manipulate the ring and chain and perform the release in my hand without the handkerchief -- very effective.

I now also use the routine as a lead-in to the Fast & Loose.

Dwight Powell
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
I know this is an old post, but I just bought Chained by Ickle Pickle. Can anyone share more routines that they may be using?
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've had this for years and still use it on a regular basis. I do it mostly for kids and college students. Have the child hold his two hands together, palms up, side by side as if they were going to scoop up some water. Hold the chain and ring over their hands and drop the ring, so that the kid catches the ring in their hands. Now ask them if they know any magic words. Repeat the procedure, have the child say the magic word, and drop the ring so that it stays on the chain. Kids will line up to have their turn! Silly magic but people love it.

Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
The routine that I perform with this is the standard ring on followed by a ring off whilst the spectator holds one end of the chain, then to finish the ring is threaded on the chain which is then hooked over the spectators thumbs, they then put their thumbs together for extra security and I then pull the chain off the ring.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
From the conversation above, I'm assuming that this "Chained" is a ring and chain (or rope) trick in which the ring encircles a bight, and is "dropped" so that it becomes "caught" in a girth hitch.

This is an ancient "bit" (long before 2005!). It is IMO, a bit of "juggling" with a ring and rope (or "bead" chain).

It has been done in Boy Scout Camps by rope/knot enthusiasts, since "forever".

Again, IMO, it falls into the same class of ring & rope bits, as the late Dick Jarrow's "DJ Knot.

I vaguely remember a "move" in which the ring is removed, that George Blake (UK) published in his lecture notes, or a mimeographed booklet, some years ago.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
From the conversation above, I'm assuming that this "Chained" is a ring and chain (or rope) trick in which the ring encircles a bight, and is "dropped" so that it becomes "caught" in a girth hitch.

This is an ancient "bit" (long before 2005!). It is IMO, a bit of "juggling" with a ring and rope (or "bead" chain).

It has been done in Boy Scout Camps by rope/knot enthusiasts, since "forever".

Again, IMO, it falls into the same class of ring & rope bits, as the late Dick Jarrow's "DJ Knot.

Yes that's the one Dick.

I vaguely remember a "move" in which the ring is removed, that George Blake (UK) published in his lecture notes, or a mimeographed booklet, some years ago.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I have kept this on me since first seeing it. You can remove the ring by holding the end away from the chain with on hand the reaching into the middle of the knot and pulling up with a shake if done without hesitation it looks like it goes through the chain.

I want to start this next part by saying I have a problem buying magic books. One of the things I do is go to used book shops and buy any book I don't have, if the price is good, just to add it to my collection. In one I found a hilige section of effects with this set up. Alas I am on the road and it was an obscure children's magic book and I can't remember the title. If I remember I'll post it in a month. It had about 5 more effects
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Warren!

I haven't had time to look for Blake's booklet, but, I'll post it when I find it.

Also thanks, "Mr. B"!

As an old knot tier, I'm always interested in "another one"!

O

'
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I have kept this on me since first seeing it. You can remove the ring by holding the end away from the chain with on hand the reaching into the middle of the knot and pulling up with a shake if done without hesitation it looks like it goes through the chain.

I want to start this next part by saying I have a problem buying magic books. One of the things I do is go to used book shops and buy any book I don't have, if the price is good, just to add it to my collection. In one I found a hilige section of effects with this set up. Alas I am on the road and it was an obscure children's magic book and I can't remember the title. If I remember I'll post it in a month. It had about 5 more effects

When I remove the ring from the chain from a spectators point of view it looks as though I just put the ring into my hand, give the spectator the end of the chain to hold, get them to rub the back of my hand and the ring is off.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

That sounds really cool. I'm trying to make it look like I pluck the ring off the chain. It usually goes over good
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

This way is also fully visual no cover
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Sounds good Smile
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Maybe I'm the only one but I just got this and can't make heads or tails of the instructions, that is all 3 lines of them.
It's the Ickle Pickle version purchased from Penguin. The instructions are copies of copies of copies and practically unreadable.
Please PM me if you can help me out.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I must be missing something. How is a ring getting attached to a chain with an obvious...for lack of a better term, slip knot...at all magical? Are people really fooled by this?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
For many, it seems that magic is not demonstrating the impossible, but something considered impossible FOR THEM - or even difficult.
Any sense of awe and wonder is not required, with entertainment and fun being the necessary element.

Nothing new. Look at a Cub Scout Book of Magic from the 50's. More puzzles and simple stunts than magic effects.
The goal wa snot to "fool" but to overcome stage-fright and and encourage creativity and social skills.

I appreciate magic effects that go to the Virtual Level and a 30 year memory of "So that is what real magic."
but also lean towards getting kids to do anything off of a screen mentality.

Working with disabled kids, I have seen learning a simple (stupid) magic effect change a person's attitude about communicating with others.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I must be missing something. How is a ring getting attached to a chain with an obvious...for lack of a better term, slip knot...at all magical? Are people really fooled by this?

Dave! see Ken's very informative note, just above. Francis Rigney, who wrote the Cub Scout Magic Book (still in print, as far as I know--see your local Boy Scout Uniforms and Equipment Distributor) was interested in what Ken talks about.

Every few years, there is a Cub Scout "Magic" Theme.

Now, re: the "Chained" bit...It's really more of a "juggling" stunt, not a trick, and, always gets reaction.

It's not a slip knot. It's a girth hitch, (sometimes called a "cow hitch").

I've directed a training course in outdoor skills for young (and, a few old) scouters at summer camp for years. They all tend to be "afraid" of knots. (It's a psychological thing.) Either they've had a poor teacher--or, no teacher. The poor teacher did not use proper terminology, and, thus confused the learners. [you probably have noted from my posts that, I'm constantly correcting those who obviously don't know the difference between a gimmick and a feke, or a prop, a trick, and/or, an effect.

In knot tying, for example,one must know that a bight is not a loop.] (It can be difficult to learn knots from a book. On the page, the picture is two dimensional. In your hands, the rope is three dimensional!)

So, to open the knot tying session, I do a few "fancy" ways of tying knots, that are eye catching, and fascinating. (The "world's fastest clove hitch", the "William Tell overhand knot", the "show off bowline", etc.). I promise them that they'll be able to do the fancy knots, AS WELL AS THE "BOY SCOUT" REQUIRED KNOTS, by the end of the session. Now, they're motivated!

I learned many years ago (I've been in Scouting for 72 years, much of that time in a leadership capacity.) that a good teacher MOTIVATES his learners! I tell the group that, "I can't TEACH you anything! --I can only HELP YOU LEARN!"

Sometimes, I include the "Chained". I'm not exposing anything. The Chained bit has been "around" for eons! I don't know who began selling it as a trick! It's really just a juggling bit.

The late Dick Jarrow, founder of the SECRET SIX, "invented" the "DJ knot". It's a juggling bit, not a magic trick, although some who see it done, may THINK it's a magic trick! (That's the EFFECT!)

I hope that helps!
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Ok, it makes sense in that context. Appreciate the input.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chained (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL