The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One Astoundingly Amazing Little Girl! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You talk about prodigies...this kid has them all beat! Go to http://www.artakiane.com Check out those gorgeous paintings!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Illustration - yes, and pretty good illustration. Art ... naaaaah. If these pictures are art, McDonald's serves gourmet hamburgers.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Wow, Looks like Mom and Dad have gone into promotional overdrive.
They wanted a prodigy so made one, then they went about making sure everyone knows they have one. Poor girl.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Great art for a nine year....once she is an adult?

Terrible poetry!!!!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
She has a lot of painting talent for a nine-year-old. Anyone have any stories about what happens when kids like this get out from under their parents? It must not be pretty.

Yours,

Paul
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-08-23 00:22, rossmacrae wrote:
Illustration - yes, and pretty good illustration. Art ... naaaaah. If these pictures are art, McDonald's serves gourmet hamburgers.

OK. So then what is art?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Now that I've seen her picture with Oprah, I recall a clip of the show on the news. Her art is fantastic and I hope she goes on to do better as she grows. I particularly like her "Hourglass" painting.

I'm just glad we have "abstract art" to describe my personal paintings as it keeps viewers from asking what four year old did that one?
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I went to the web site mentioned above and looked at this young girls art work. I think the paintings all look absolutely great. I wish her the best of luck as she gets older. I'm sure we will hear more of this young girls talent in the years to come.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Interesting work. She does show some promise.

Looking at the "Prince of Peace" picture, I can't help but think that's either Kenny Loggins, or David Copperfield with a beard.

What are those blue tags at the top? They look like they're supposed to be links, but clicking them doesn't do anything.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
OK. So then what is art?

For one thing, art is something that invites you see things in a new way - something that expands your perception - something that conveys an individual point of view - something that excites in an unexpected way.

What I saw was simply technique.

Consider a magician who does perfect sleights but can't entertain.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Quote:
For one thing, art is something that invites you see things in a new way - something that expands your perception - something that conveys an individual point of view - something that excites in an unexpected way.

Like the time a piece of artwork was put forward to 3 top experts for their opinion, 1, said its rubbish the 2nd said there were possibilities and the 3rd was over the moon, it was painted by a chimp. What makes good art? Something that the people Enjoy.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I was impressed with her. What a beautiful child and my thoughts were she had a lot of insight for someone so young. Her art work may not be the style which attracts me but I still would consider her very talented. Most kids that age just expand on stick people with fat bodies. :O)

hrystal
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My thoughts exactly... In all my life I have never seen some one so young do the things she does with a brush and canvas. These are NOT the paintings af a young child.
sayer
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
64 Posts

Profile of sayer
I don´t know what to think about it. I can´t believe it . Those paintings are absolutely incredible.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2005-08-24 01:05, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
OK. So then what is art?

What I saw was simply technique.

Consider a magician who does perfect sleights but can't entertain.

I agree with much of what you say but you left out one of the most important criteria of what art is (at least for me). That is stirring an emotion in the observer. If a piece of art can make me happy, sad, mad, or bring back a memory long lost then to me that is art.
I get the impression that much of this work has emotional effect on the artist so I would call it art.

The poetry of this young artist is much more impressive to me IF it is the words of the artist and not the words of the parents.
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Yes, but can she juggle?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Is this the same girl that was on a news program and when the cameras are on her she isn't able to paint? Some believe that her parents are doing some of the paintings themselves and then saying that their daughter did them.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Micheal, that's what I thought, I've seen those phonies. I don't think this is the same girl. This is the girl you are thinking of;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3701484.stm
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Michael,

I was immediately going to post regarding that potential fraud case until I viewed this girl's site. Different gal as it turns out. The other you think of was a bit younger believe it or not. She's sold over 300K so far. That investigation noted that she could not perform (create these masterpieces) after being filmed on cam. Perhaps she is the real thing but just can't perform with others around.

The works she did create on camera were analyzed by "experts" and they found her brush strokes to be characteristic of a child her age and nothing more.

The bigger question is what is Vandy G tinkering with in that kitchen? Hehehehe.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Yeah, I'll take that as a "no" she can't juggle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One Astoundingly Amazing Little Girl! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL