The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How are e[ 's made? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Just curious - they can't be made from the real thing......
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Yes they are made from the real thing. You need the proper skill and machinery to expand it, and then machine out one side with a lathe.
Click to visit:
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
Yes it's interesting to wonder how they do it. I don't know if Todd, Jamie, Roy, Thomas etc have differnt ways of doing the expansion proceedure, but I remember reading how around 50 years ago in France they were made by having a hundread weight dropped precisely on the coin from a certain height. This would cause the coin to expand and I assume allow the non compressed side of the coin to fall out.
Get's even more intriguing when you think about how Hofinzer would have got one made.

Adam
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
I believe Todd Lassen came up with a different (new?) way of expanding ]’s within the past year or so which doesn't leave any distortion whatsoever on them... they are almost “TOO perfect” looking. His dollar sized e]’s are things of beauty… I have seen one on his new Triple Threat gaff which my friend just bought. And it seems Todd finally added this gaff set to his site http://www.toddlassen.com ! Exciting stuff indeed!
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
This is going a little off topic, But are all coin gaffs made from real coins?
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I don't think that a bending coin is made out of a real coin Smile
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
Well ofcourse they are. It would be harder to duplicate a coin then gimmick it, as apose to using real money and then gaff it up.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Wow...

yes all bending coins, flippers, ect are made from real coins(silvershifter obviously isn't).

Also, a coin is a solid piece of metal, you couldn't compress one side and have something pop out...

You press or roll out a coin so its slightly thinner, then you put it on a lathe and drill all of it out cept for the face and sides...
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
Ah ha....
Lance DeLong
View Profile
New user
Lubbock Texas
26 Posts

Profile of Lance DeLong
Thinner? Ouch
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
The old nickles to dimes, stack can't possibly be real!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, of course the "stack" isn't real...Smile Think their talking about actual coins here that are modified. But I think the nickel in the "Fickle Nickle" trick is definitely not "possibly" real...Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How are e[ 's made? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL