The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed Of Nails...ouch! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I actually was on a bed of nails once, it is really a neat looking illusion (for a side-show type item), anyone else mess with stuff like this? Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Done that before...while having a cinderblock smashed on my stomach with a sledgehammer. Along with that...regularly do the blockhead act, have been suspended from a crane 60 feet in the air in a straitjacket for an escape, buried alive for 3 days, and even did the ultimate..I once got married. If you'd like details on any of these (except the marriage), email me.

Steve Thomas Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Wow Steve, sounds like you're the perfect personality type to be a magician! Smile

There will always be those that wish to rain on your parade, so never leave home without an umbrella...
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Sounds like a marriage I was once in.... except she hit me in the stomach with a frying pan.... hung me from a bridge 40 feet in the air.... and locked me in the cellar for three days!

For details, contact my lawyer!!!

I love the kind of things you are talking about, but have never tried it. I think it takes a special kind of person to be able to carry it out and be totally entertaining. And I don’t know how entertaining I could be laying on a bed of nails! So I’ll just be content watching from a distance!

Bengi
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Smile Bengi you're too much Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
The closest I have come to this is when Nick Jansen, a British escapologist, featured at the local Agricultural Show years ago.

He did the straitjacket suspended by burning rope from a crane, same sort of thing except sealed inside a metal "rocket" and other stuff.

I think I still have the news report video here somewhere.

I learned a lot while driving Nick around, but what I saw convinced me I would stick to the die-box!
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
There was a very well known illusionist from Toronto, Ontario named Phantasma. He used to perform mostly for schools and big fairs etc. His show was geared for kids and family, he performed mostly illusions and a fastpaced dove act.

He was one of the first magicians that I had ever seen when I was a kid. However he did perform the bed of nails stunt, and even had people from the audience come and stand on his chest and stomach while he was lying on the nails (OUCH)!

Anyway he had been performing that illusion for many years when one day (not during a show thank God) part of his intestines collapsed, due to the constant strain and weight on his stomach from performing this dangerous stunt. Needless to say he ended up having to take the bed of nails out of his act!

I remember talking to him one time after a show he had at a nearby shopping centre and he told me that he wished he could go back in time and had never performed this illusion. His internal problems continued, and Phantasma was forced to pass his Star of the show status to his wife (Deanna Edmunds) who is now the Illusionist of the show.

She and the show are now known as Princess Karma & Co. And they are one of Ontario's premeire travelling illusion shows, without the bed of nails of course!

So if anyone is thinking of or is currently performing this stunt Please use extereme caution and consult a doctor on a regular basis while the stunt remains in your act!
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
piccard
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of piccard
I wonder if there is a supplier of the ole' carnival Geek type props... A/E the bed of nails etc..... anyone know??? Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I know that Phantasma had made his own bed of nails, and then later sold it to a Comic/juggler, who used it on a T.V. spot where as the performer rode around on a little tricycle and his head hit the bed of nails hanging down from the ceiling. The head appeared to come off and stick to the bed while his body kept riding. Quite funny, however, I can't remember the name of the performer, it could have been Johnny Toronto but don't quote me on that!
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
Piccard,
The bed of nails can be easily made, simply draw a grid of 1 inch squares on plywood pre drill the corners (so the nails go in straight) of the squares and hammer all day long.

I've made all my own geek props, but if you would like to buy them
check out Sean Miller's site
http://www.beardedfireeater.com
sell's beds of nails, books and props for the human blockhead and fire eating too, although I would suggest simply going to
http://www.fyretr.com
for fire manipulation.
Jason
Smile Smile Smile
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
If you really must do this stuff, Sam Dalal's compilation of Swami and Mantra has a lot of information on effects of this type. These were published by Kaufman and Company in a limited edition of 1000. May not be available now. Hunter
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT attempt these stunts simply after reading the description in a book. The ONLY way to learn these things is from an expert. You will seriously hurt yourself. Also, many of the books on the subject are just plain wrong. I don't know if the authors were trying to keep others from doing the working acts or if they really didn't know any better, but regardless, it's not like learning a magic trick - When you learn a trick from a book and mess it up, people may laugh at you, if you mess up one of these stunts, you die.

For a unique opportunity to recieve personal instruction, visit Coney Island USA
http://www.coneyislandusa.com
This summer Todd and the gang are holding a "Sideshow School". Enjoy.
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
Just to say that I also use a bed of nails.
Xaero
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Xaero
I remember my Physics teachering doing that once for a lecture. He was trying to prove to use how force and pressure gets dispersed over area. It was pretty neat.

He also let us smash a block of concrete resting on his chest. That was fun too. Smile
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
177 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
Wow!

What a cool science teacher!!

Mine made me wanna shoot somebody. Smile

Mark
:devilish:
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Xaero
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Xaero
Yeah, he was one of my favorite teachers.

It's kind of funny now that i think about it. Everyone thinks that it's amazing to see someone lay down on a whole bed of nails when what would be more amazing would be to see someone lay down on just one nail! Smile
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Well I am heading to The Home Depot right now to pick up Cinder Blocks. I will have around 25 blocks broken on my chest while laying on a bed of nails this month.

I remember learning it was oh so scary. Three years ago I layed on the ground and had my partner swing the sledge hammer. Lots of trust in this man. After it worked we did it on the bed of nails. Funny thing is, it's still as exciting for me. That one never gets dull.

To get rid of all the pieces of brick we break them into smaller pieces, autograph them and hand them out to the audience while they are looking at my back. Cuts down on waste.

We also have a young lady come up and stand on my chest before the whole block thing. We try to pick a women around 100lbs. I do work out and stay in shape in order to perform this. I would not recomend anyone just trying this. I did have a profesional sideshow performer teach me. The only way to go.

Sillily, Will

new site is almost up and running
rottenbrothers.com
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I love bed of nails! For good effect, before I start, I often have an audience member throw an apple in the air and on to the bed of nails. It is surprisingly tough to pull the apple off afterwards. Sets up the whole person on chest/ brick thing perfectly.

ML
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Wally, my partner, throws an apple on it during the intro. I am picking it up and turning the bed showing the audience.

The down fall is how messy it makes the nails. They are a big pain to clean.

I would like to one day make a bed with all chrome nails and a treated board so that I could just take it to the car wash. Not in the mood to drill all those holes and pound all those nails just yet.

I made mine three years ago. Need to wait till I forget just how hard it was to build.

Sillily, Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Will

They are hard to make, aren't they? And chrome nails could make it pretty expensive I suppose.

A spectator once shouted that the nails were blunt, despite the fact that I had thrown an apple on to them. So I picked up a smaller bed of nails I had and offered them a pillow fight. For some reason they declined Smile

Cheers

ML
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed Of Nails...ouch! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL