The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What to charge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2005-09-23 21:00, juggleral wrote:
Bunky
Are you saying "do it cheap for the EXPOSURE"? Any Eskimo will tell you "you can die from EXPOSURE", EXPOSURE and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. When I hear the word EXPOSURE I get chills down my spine, and always, always, always turn down the Bull **** job.
Al

PS Steve J. please "NEVER SELL YOURSELF CHEAP"

I never said to do it cheap and exposure is illegal here in the States.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Juggleral, thanks for pointing this out for me! I have been shouting this from the rooftops and NOBODY listens.

dong jobs for exposure is goofy. or for practice. Your a professional. A painter never came to my house to paint it for the exposure. should we be less professional?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Hi,

I'm a partner in a small chain of three restaurants in New York City. Knowing magic, I had no desire to hire a magician (mostly because if I wanted that, I'd do it myself). However, someone came to me, told me a few jokes, and said one thing to me that got him hired: he promised to promote the restaurant in a way that brought in more people. I gave him a shot, paid him $100 for two nights a week for a month. In that time, he more than proved to me that he could deliver... so now I have him on the payroll, about $400 a week. His hours vary, but usually about 6 hours a week.

Hope it helps,
James.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1061 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I like the idea of establishing a decent price, then doing one evening for free. Someone pointed out that somehow it cheapens the value of your service, but think about it... almost anyone can walk into a Lexus dealership and drive a $60,000 car for FREE. They just can't keep it. Test drives, product demonstrations and free service periods are common selling technique because once someone EXPERIENCES the value of a service or product, they MUST have it. Basic marketing.

Also, if your new and don't have a ton of references... take a job for a little less, then you'll have references for future gigs and can charge a little more.

procyonrising has it right... we're not selling magic here. We're selling entertainment that enhances the dining experience and brings repeat business and new customers.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
241 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I know a Magician that performed one night for free. The owner just laughed and never hear back from him. So beware. Never be desparate enough to give away something you are trying to sell.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If you perform for free and are not asked back look in the mirror.

You either pushed yourself on an owner who wasn't really interested or he was interested but you didn't impress him.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody ever consider these two very common reasons for not being hired.

The idiotic idea that if you just get in front of them they Wil see your value wastes a lot of time for everyone. If an owner isn’t ready he isn’t ready and your running through your latest offering from Elusionist won’t change that. Not every owner can be “sold” on the idea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Restaurants that want to hire magicians are few and far between.

They need to be busy enough to afford you but not so busy that there is no need to further entice customers.

You also need an owner or manager who has a soft spot for magic to get your foot in the door.

And if they are not locally owned they probably can't get approval from the home office for something outside of the box like a roaming magician.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I do disagree with some about doing a free show as a demonstration. I think it sometimes pays off.

The difference between a house painter painting a house for exposure and a magician doing a show for exposure is that most people know what a house painter does and appreciate it.

Many people don't know what a close up magician does or how it might fit into a restaurant.

As a matter of fact, I got my first post-pandemic restaurant job a few months ago by going in and speaking to the manager and doing a few tricks for the staff who happened to be there.

When a magician goes on a local TV morning show and does a few tricks he is not paid. He does it for exposure.

I think it's up to each of us to do the calculation on deciding about performing for free.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well what exactly are you showing them by working for free?

A TV show is a couple tricks for hundreds of thousands and it is so much different than doing a “free show”.

Again I agree with everyone does what is best for themselves. No right who wrong answer. It is however at least smart to know the real reasons you are doing what you chose to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2365 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I've tried just about everything. I once sent out a mailing offering a free night. I had one restaurant totally take advantage of it. They had me come in for my free night and had me entertain for a private children's birthday party! I don't believe they had any intention of having me full time, but they looked like a hero to their client by securing entertainment!

Ideally, I like to do a one table demo. This way I can do all my best material and I only take of 5-minutes of the manager's time. Its not too hard to ask for 5-minutes of the manager's time, unless he has absolutely no interest in having a magician at his restaurant. In that case I don't want to waist MY 5-minutes.

As far as the rate? Who knows? That's a personal choice you have to make. How much is it worth to you? I've never had to do this, but I've always had a back up plan if they rejected my fee. I would offer to do the gig for less for 3-months and then reassess my fee. 3 months should give me time to get plenty of get positive feed back and maybe even some repeat customers to prove my worth.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Do a free show but don't give everything away. Explain it's a preview of what you can do - but overdeliver.

Then charge the highest you can charge within reason and if you believe it covers your needs. Start small and work your way up. Or go large at the beginning and have a minimum you'll come down to. Sales is key here vs magic
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1084 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
@Ken Northridge, I really like the 5 minute demonstration idea!! No need for a free night or free hour. 5-10 minutes should give the manager enough of an idea whether this fits and hire you or not.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do a free show but don’t give everything away but over deliver?

Can we get a lot of explanation for this theory?

Never mind. Have you ever tried this theory?

By the way if after 5 minutes or so they haven’t figured out they need to hire you going too much longer isn’t going to really help. You won’t be spending too much more time than that at a table to begin with.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Meaning a demonstration of your abilities. Short. Maybe 15 minutes or so

But put your strongest effect in

I used to "withhold" that for the main events but found going with my strongest effects upfront got me shows at a much higher rate
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So do a strong demonstration? Then charge what you believe it is worth?

Not exactly revolutionary advice, and still not sure how it relates to what you said earlier. I’m just confused as you seen all over the mail with advice.

How long have you been using these tactics and how well do they work?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10497 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
A Lot of double-speak going on here. There are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do things. Then there is reality and theory. In order to offer useful sound advice this needs to be clarified (and thought through).
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2940 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You should charge what you charge, which should be a fair price.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
Henderson, NV
94 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Offer a free night to see what you can bring to their establishment.

After you're done at a good table, make sure to tell them to tell management on their way out how much they enjoyed it.

As for how much to charge, some hourly rate that is worth it to you. You should also discuss tips, whether or not they will be accepted and whether that affects your price.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn’t the point of the “free night” to have the manager watch what you are actually doing?

So having a table tell him how much they enjoyed it is kind of an odd thing to do.

Have you ever bought something like a car and they tell you that you should refute them and anything less than 5 stars is equivalent of 0 stars? Isn’t that offensive and manipulative?

How about just doing well enough that they say something in their own?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What to charge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL