The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Arghhhhhh ballooooooooooons run run run (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
I thought id come across it all

scared of balloons
fingers in ears
petrified of balloons
latex allergies

but this one was a new one on me

did a show at the weekend and one of the kids had a reflux problem. When ever he saw an 'uninflated' balloon he felt sick and because he has this reflux problem he cant hold it back!!!!!

anyway I was warned and I said fine, ok no balloons, no problems. His mum said he'll probably be fine and don't want to spoil it for the b'day boy.
I made a hat before the show as an experiment on his mothers request an he was fine.

so I carried on through the show no probs he laughed etc and loved the balloons and showed no signs.

right at the end the kids were sititng on the floor as I was doing the last 2 balloons and he projectiled everywhere!!!!!

ok ok ok I know I shouldn't have done any in the first place - but I'm not beating myself up over it

just thought I'd share that with you - hope your not eating
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2435 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Uh ... okay, I didn't want dinmer anyway.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! If his mother said it was okay to do, I don't see it as your problem. Man, oh, man, what a wierd affliction ... I hope this doesn't carry through to adulthood, or he's gonna have a lot of children!
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 22:18, Starrpower wrote:I hope this doesn't carry through to adulthood, or he's gonna have a lot of children!

LOLOLOL Smile
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Oh my god - another one
I really did think id seen it all until today.

A lady came up to me, preshow, and asked if I was the entertainer and if there were going to be any bangs or pops in the show. - the party was for 3yr olds about 30 of them - the lady had her kid with her. I expla=ined that if balloons were a problem then I can keep them out of the show until the end where she can take the child away if she wishes but the parents are expecting me to do some balloon modelling.

'oh no' she said 'it's not him, it's me I have a serious phobia of balloons!!!!'

oh my god, the whole hall was covered in balloons by the time she got to the front door of the hall she was a jibbering uncontrollable wreck - poor woman - I really did feel for her.

I had a long chat with her after the show - she didn't come in but her son did.
she tried acuupuncture councelling hypnotherapy non of which have ever worked.
and she booked me to do her kids party!!!! - no balloons obviously
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think you handled it as best as you could. You stopped and aked them if they would like you to put them away and you made an offer to help alleviate the problem. It was the mothers choice and she said it would be ok. So you did act in a professional manner. It is just sad that it had to happen.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I would have to admit that the kid projectiling all over at the sight of the deflated balloon is like a scene they should have for some kind of "Christmas Story" version of "A Birthday Story". (Or is that vice versa?)
Of course, you'd have to have Penn and Teller be the Birthday magicians and go all out with the gore....then the projectiling would truly begin.
Does anyone know if there's a name for phobias about magicians?
Just curious.
Chris
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 00:05, chris mcbrien wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a name for phobias about magicians? Just curious.
Chris

According to my wife and dearest friend (A research psychologist) Rhabdophobia is the fear of rods and wands. Due to the wand connection, it is commonly used to describe a fear of anything magical.

According to my source of all things wise and knowable (previously referred to as "the wife") Globophobia is the fear of balloons. There is also Automatonophobia, the fear of ventriloquist dummies, wax statues and animatronic figures; Geliophobia, the fear of laughter; Pupaphobia, the fear of puppets; Goetophobia, the fear of dark magic or curses; and Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns.

Each of these fears is VERY real and can be totally devastating to the individual. They can't be overcome with mere "Mind over matter" approaches or Steve V's utterly repulsive and unsympathetic approach. One of my best friends is a 6'5", 250 lb. 10-year veteran police officer and former Marine. He knows me well. When I'm in clown character, he KNOWS it's me...but, he can't look at me or be near me without getting a violent case of the shakes and severe nausea. It drives him nuts and he's gone through therapy but can't shake this. Neither can he explain it.

As compassionate human beings and especially as for-hire entertainers, we must recognize these fears and treat them with absolute seriousness and concern for the individual.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Wow, Skip, that was amazing!
It's really amazing how things that some people totally love or do for a living can be another's worst nightmare....life is full of surprises! I don't want to come off that I don't respect other people's fears, however....as I said, it would make an interesting movie to explore these.
Chris
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Rhabdophobia must be what women get the moment they say "I do."
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 10:46, chris mcbrien wrote:
I don't want to come off that I don't respect other people's fears, however....it would make an interesting movie to explore these.

Exactly Stephen King's thinking with books like IT, Cujo and Christine, Rose Red, The Shining, Thinner, The Tommyknockers, The Lawnmower Man, Pet Sematary, Stand by Me and so many more. Mr. King is the master at recognizing and capitalizing on our greatest phobias and fears. Then there was Jaws, Arachnophobia, Friday the 13th and a slew of others that did the same. And that doesn't even scratch the surface for the fears of many on this list...such as rejection, failure, silence, incompetence, public exposure and embarrassment, heckling and so on.

It's a wonder some of us ever get out of bed!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
This post makes me want to be more understanding of my kids' phobias, the primary one is their fear of "funny guys", which is our term for anyone in a character costume where their face is covered. They can't go to any friends' birthday parties at Toys R Us (Geoferry the Giraffe) or Chuck E. Cheese, and we have to be very cautious at theme parks.

My 6 year old merely gets nervous and clingy now around them, but my 4 year old goes into hysterics.

Skip, is there a clinical term for that phobia?

- Steve
sluggo
View Profile
New user
Mike B.
85 Posts

Profile of sluggo
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 10:57, Deke Rivers wrote:
Rhabdophobia must be what women get the moment they say "I do."

No Deke, I think it hasn't something to do with the wedding cake. One bite, no more X- drive!
Dad, magic, ventriloquism, facepainter & balloons.
A weakness for coffee (caffeine)
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The source of all wisdom and knowledge (at least in my household) says that phobias affect about one in 10 of us at some time in our lives, but only a tiny proportion of sufferers ever seek help. One of the reasons for this may well be the worry that the phobia will not be taken seriously or that it will be misunderstood.

Phobias are irrational, have no regard for statistical or anecdotal evidence and no amount of reasoning on the part of the sufferer or reassurance from others can help to shift their distressing symptoms.

They come in all shapes and sizes. For some people however, their phobia can significantly impact upon their life in a negative way, affecting their work, social and family life, making normal day to day activities difficult or even impossible.

Empathy can be difficult for those who do not suffer from phobias. However, reacting to a person’s phobia with intolerance or with ridicule only serves to exacerbate the problem and their sense of isolation.

While it is possible to develop a phobia about almost anything some are obviously easier for most of us to relate to than others. At its worst a phobia can become severely debilitating.

While one explanation for the development of phobias is that they are sparked by a specific traumatic event (e.g.: being thrust kicking and screaming into Santa's lap) this may not always be the case. Not everyone who suffers a trauma goes on to develop a phobia and not everyone develops a phobia from one upsetting event.

She described the tell-tale signs of a true phobia as:

1. Marked and persistent fear that is excessive or unreasonable, cued by the presence or anticipation of a specific object or situation (e.g., flying, heights, animals, clowns, costumed characters, seeing blood).

2. Exposure to the phobic stimulus almost invariably provokes an immediate anxiety response, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally predisposed Panic Attack. Note: In children, the anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or clinging.

3. The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. Note: In children, this feature may be absent.

4. The phobic situation(s) is avoided or else is endured with intense anxiety or distress.

5. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

6. In individuals under age 18 years, the duration is at least 6 months.

7. The anxiety, Panic Attacks, or phobic avoidance associated with the specific object or situation are not better accounted for by another mental disorder, such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (e.g., fear of dirt in someone with an obsession about contamination), Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (e.g., avoidance of stimuli associated with a severe stressor), Separation Anxiety Disorder (e.g., avoidance of school), Social Phobia (e.g., avoidance of social situations because of fear of embarrassment), Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia, or Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder.

If you catch it early enough and don't coddle or nurture the fear, you can sometimes prevent it from reaching the phobia stage. For example: Allowing a child who displays a fear of clowns to watch a person transform into a clown...even put the makeup on themselves. Allowing the child to watch a person change into a costumed character and examine the costume. Allowing a child to watch "Santa's Helper" get into character. It kills some of the fantasy at an early age, but the benefit is worth it. A lot of this is conditioning at an early, early age.

When I know that children who are afraid of my clown character are present in a room, I will walk in quietly, sit down on the floor and play quietly and softly with the children who are not afraid. I will gradually allow the level of laughter to increase with more silly playfulness. In almost every case, the most frightened child will eventually sit down beside me and become a lifelong fan; enjoying the show with everyone else. The only ones who tend to hold out are those who are babied by their mommies and daddies and allowed to seek sympathy and succor by displaying fear. In this case, it is merely a ploy for attention.

I never watched my grandfather change into his clown character and I remember being scared to death of him in character until I turned 5, almost 6. One of my earlier memories (around age 5) is sitting in his mudshow's clown alley and watching him and others become clowns...and gradually working past the fear through familiarity.

Hope this helps. This is why my wife and I have a pact...she promises not to psychoanalyze me and I promise not to wear throw pies in the house.

Skip :o)

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Arghhhhhh ballooooooooooons run run run (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL